Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 16:29   #1
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Why are atheist so intolerant of other beliefs?

I'm not trying to get into the whole debate over whether atheism is a religion or not, it is, but that's a different topic.


Why do so many atheists react with anger, bad manners, and emotional distress when someone simply has a different opinion than they do?

It's an interesting subject that I think needs to be explored.

Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 16:45   #2
ColdSteelNail
Senior Member
 
ColdSteelNail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Close To The Edge
Posts: 2,163
The same reason conservatives react with anger, bad manners and emotional distress when a liberal expresses a different opinion than they do.
__________________
Snarling dogs have snarling owners - Sherlock Holmes
ColdSteelNail is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 16:54   #3
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I'm not trying to get into the whole debate over whether atheism is a religion or not, it is, but that's a different topic.


Why do so many atheists react with anger, bad manners, and emotional distress when someone simply has a different opinion than they do?

It's an interesting subject that I think needs to be explored.

Probably same reason people of other religions get upset by other people not believing in what they believe.

Last edited by dpadams6; 01-01-2013 at 16:55..
dpadams6 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 17:32   #4
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,785
It's like sports teams of the soul. My team is better than yours, sucker.
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 18:04   #5
Spiffums
I.C.P.
 
Spiffums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,430
Because no one taught them any better when they were children. They never learned how to disagree with people just to yell and scream because "you believe in something"
__________________
Internet Celebrity Personality
Spiffums is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 18:25   #6
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,388
I believe that Atheism is more about contempt for other people than it is about not believing in God.

Religious believers place God at the pinnacle of creation, with man subservient to God.

Atheists demand to be at the pinnacle of creation, with other men subservient to them.

That means God must go!

Notice how quick atheists resort to attacking a person's intelligence level and demeaning them personally.

When atheists deny the exist of God, in reality they're telling their fellow man that, "you're stupid for believing in God and I'm smarter than you are because don't believe such nonsense".

The typical atheist personality considers other people as inferior, not only in religion but other areas of life too.

They can't stand God getting all the attention that they feel they deserve.

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 01-01-2013 at 18:29..
JBnTX is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 18:48   #7
Japle
John, Viera, Fl
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 971
Quote:
Posted by CD:
Why do so many atheists react with anger, bad manners, and emotional distress when someone simply has a different opinion than they do?
Now, thatís funny. I donít care who yaí are.

Vic:
ď[Atheists] lead such a miserable existence that you hang out on a religious forum to harass believers. I guess misery likes company and you are hoping to destroy the faith of as many as you can.

The carnal mind hates the law of God which is righteousness or right doing. Therefore, the carnally minded have no ability to rise above sin or wrongdoing because they love to wallow in it.


JNnTX:
This is for the atheists that infest this forum.
I'm being as nice as I can to atheists.
If you only knew the effort I expend in restraining myself.
I just love dragging you Godless heathens out into the light for all to see.
I don't have any liberal friends.
I don't have any atheist friends either.


And so on. Iím not going to bother digging out all the anger, insults and bad manners displayed by believers on this forum.

In my opinion, the worst rudeness is exhibited by believers who start a thread, get challenged, canít come up with an answer that would convince a 2nd grader and then just quit posting rather than admit they were wrong.

Quote:
Posted by JB:
When atheists deny the exist of God, in reality they're telling their fellow man that, "you're stupid for believing in God and I'm smarter than you are because don't believe such nonsense".
Personally, I don't feel that way. To me, believers simply lack critical thinking skills or they're so emotionally invested in their beliefs that they can't allow themselves to abandon obvious mythology.

I donít have to tell my fellow man that, ďYouíre deluded for believing in an imaginary god and Iím much more in touch with reality for rejecting nonsenseĒ.

That goes without saying.

No offense.
__________________
Every time you disagree with me, God kills a kitten.
Japle is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 18:48   #8
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I believe that Atheism is more about contempt for other people than it is about not believing in God.

Religious believers place God at the pinnacle of creation, with man subservient to God.

Atheists demand to be at the pinnacle of creation, with other men subservient to them.

That means God must go!

Notice how quick atheists resort to attacking a person's intelligence level and demeaning them personally.

When atheists deny the exist of God, in reality they're telling their fellow man that, "you're stupid for believing in God and I'm smarter than you are because don't believe such nonsense".

The typical atheist personality considers other people as inferior, not only in religion but other areas of life too.

They can't stand God getting all the attention that they feel they deserve.

..
I do see a component of narcissism and hubris in many, but not all. But I do have to disagree with your assertion that they think another is stupid for believing in God. I've been called plenty of names, and only because I refused to commit to the absence of a god. Even admitting you don't know isn't good enough. If you point out that having faith that no deity has existed, that is met with hostility too.
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 18:50   #9
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
Now, thatís funny. I donít care who yaí are.

Vic:
ď[Atheists] lead such a miserable existence that you hang out on a religious forum to harass believers. I guess misery likes company and you are hoping to destroy the faith of as many as you can.

The carnal mind hates the law of God which is righteousness or right doing. Therefore, the carnally minded have no ability to rise above sin or wrongdoing because they love to wallow in it.


JNnTX:
This is for the atheists that infest this forum.
I'm being as nice as I can to atheists.
If you only knew the effort I expend in restraining myself.
I just love dragging you Godless heathens out into the light for all to see.
I don't have any liberal friends.
I don't have any atheist friends either.


And so on. Iím not going to bother digging out all the anger, insults and bad manners displayed by believers on this forum.

In my opinion, the worst rudeness is exhibited by believers who start a thread, get challenged, canít come up with an answer that would convince a 2nd grader and then just quit posting rather than admit they were wrong.


Personally, I don't feel that way. To me, believers simply lack critical thinking skills or they're so emotionally invested in their beliefs that they can't allow themselves to abandon obvious mythology.

I donít have to tell my fellow man that, ďYouíre deluded for believing in an imaginary god and Iím much more in touch with reality for rejecting nonsenseĒ.

That goes without saying.

No offense.
Meh, no offense from me either. But I have to point out that I have been attacked repeatedly by atheists, and I'm an agnostic. Just for pointing out that a strong belief in something that cannot be proven, requires faith. Even if it is the absence of a deity.
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 19:42   #10
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 11,723
People get upset and aggressive when they feel threatened. People like to feel secure so when other views are expressed that they are unsure about they feel threatened.
__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 19:44   #11
ksg0245
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I do see a component of narcissism and hubris in many, but not all. But I do have to disagree with your assertion that they think another is stupid for believing in God. I've been called plenty of names, and only because I refused to commit to the absence of a god. Even admitting you don't know isn't good enough. If you point out that having faith that no deity has existed, that is met with hostility too.
That's funny, given that virtually every atheist here has clearly explained their beliefs or lack thereof, and specifically stated they don't know whether any deities exist. Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.

No, that couldn't possibly be it.
ksg0245 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 19:48   #12
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 11,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
Now, thatís funny. I donít care who yaí are.

Vic:
ď[Atheists] lead such a miserable existence that you hang out on a religious forum to harass believers. I guess misery likes company and you are hoping to destroy the faith of as many as you can.

The carnal mind hates the law of God which is righteousness or right doing. Therefore, the carnally minded have no ability to rise above sin or wrongdoing because they love to wallow in it.

Not hatred just fact. Why else would an atheist hang out on a religious forum and attack believers?

This is just human nature. I have experienced it myself in the past. It goes along with holding grudges and bitter and resentful feelings.
__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 19:51   #13
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
That's funny, given that virtually every atheist here has clearly explained their beliefs or lack thereof, and specifically stated they don't know whether any deities exist. Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.

No, that couldn't possibly be it.
Not virtually every. Only the most devout and pious among that faith have done that.

They profess a passive belief, and yet are amazingly active in their proselytizing for the faith, with a surety and pureness of purpose that defies a passive belief.
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 19:52   #14
steve1988
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ft. Meade, MD
Posts: 1,298
I think atheists (like all groups of people) have a fairly even mix of personalities in them. The ones that stick out to you, unfortunately, are the ones that rub you the wrong way. I think this goes for all groups with which you have limited contact. I know many atheists who are decent people. They don't attack my beliefs, and I don't attack theirs. If we have a conversation about it, it is just the two of us conversing about what we believe and why we believe it. We don't attack each other's character or intelligence over a difference in opinion. Rational people just don't do that.
__________________
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 19:53   #15
wrenrj1
Senior Member
 
wrenrj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Huskerville
Posts: 10,452
Read the Joy of hate by "Greg Gudfeld." An interesting and humorous look at the subject. Still finishing it myself.
__________________
We are told by our government NOT to judge Muslims by the actions of a few crazies. We are also told by this same government TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few crazies.
wrenrj1 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 19:58   #16
cysoto
Gone Shooting!
 
cysoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Why do so many atheists react with anger, bad manners, and emotional distress when someone simply has a different opinion than they do?
I believe that the anonymity granted by the Internet empowers people to say things and treat others in ways which they wouldn't if they were having a face-to-face conversation with another person.

I am friends with plenty of Atheists as well as with plenty of devout Christians and I would say that, for the most part, my Christian friends tend to be a bit more "emotional" when their beliefs are questioned.
__________________
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." ó Stuart Chase
cysoto is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 20:00   #17
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1988 View Post
I think atheists (like all groups of people) have a fairly even mix of personalities in them. The ones that stick out to you, unfortunately, are the ones that rub you the wrong way. I think this goes for all groups with which you have limited contact. I know many atheists who are decent people. They don't attack my beliefs, and I don't attack theirs. If we have a conversation about it, it is just the two of us conversing about what we believe and why we believe it. We don't attack each other's character or intelligence over a difference in opinion. Rational people just don't do that.
I agree. IRL, I know several people of many different faiths. I work with christians of several denominations, hindus, muslims, atheists, sikhs, jews etc. Even agnostics. It is very rare that religion comes up, and when it usually does, it is related to what is acceptable to bring to a pot lock, or pointing out what contains meat/beef/pork on the table. I'll go ahead, and admit that I've decided that I would never join a religion that did not allow bacon. That's just wrong to me, but I have no problem with people that don't eat pork (leave more bacon for me).

I think the internet is a peculiar place, where people say things they would never say IRL. Either due to fear of legal repercussions or a punch in the nose.

Either way, I think the devout atheists come here to beat up on people trying to discuss aspects of their religion out of simple schadenfreude or for revenge for a past transgression by another.

Eh? It's a guess. Not many would admit it if true. One has, but that was a while ago, and It would not be polite to bring up his trauma again. That is for him to do if he wishes.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-01-2013 at 20:02..
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 20:04   #18
ksg0245
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Not virtually every. Only the most devout and pious among that faith have done that.
It'd be great if you could be more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
They profess a passive belief, and yet are amazingly active in their proselytizing for the faith, with a surety and pureness of purpose that defies a passive belief.
Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.
ksg0245 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 20:30   #19
dbcooper
Senior Member
 
dbcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,138
I'm agnostic myself

Lurking around here you see both sides have a few that react the way Doc listed in the first post if you look at it honestly.

I couldn't tell you how many times dhimmi has been tossed at me.

I'll poke fun, like the imaginary friend post, but it's in jest usually.

It's pretty easy to see who's trying to remain respectful even when things get heated, just look at the capital letters.
__________________
A broad brush paints a lousy picture, lacking the nuance and details of life's realities. As a young man my paints were black and white, with age came a palette holding many shades of gray.

Last edited by dbcooper; 01-01-2013 at 20:36..
dbcooper is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 20:38   #20
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
It'd be great if you could be more specific.



Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.
Inconvenient truths happen. I've often pointed out that many self described atheists are actually mislabeled agnostics.

The more abrasive ones tend to be atheists that deny the definition of atheist. Odd?
Cavalry Doc is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 619
129 Members
490 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31