SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 16:29   #1
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Why are atheist so intolerant of other beliefs?

I'm not trying to get into the whole debate over whether atheism is a religion or not, it is, but that's a different topic.

Why do so many atheists react with anger, bad manners, and emotional distress when someone simply has a different opinion than they do?

It's an interesting subject that I think needs to be explored.

Old 01-01-2013, 16:45   #2
ColdSteelNail

The same reason conservatives react with anger, bad manners and emotional distress when a liberal expresses a different opinion than they do.
Old 01-01-2013, 16:54   #3
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I'm not trying to get into the whole debate over whether atheism is a religion or not, it is, but that's a different topic.

Why do so many atheists react with anger, bad manners, and emotional distress when someone simply has a different opinion than they do?

It's an interesting subject that I think needs to be explored.

Probably same reason people of other religions get upset by other people not believing in what they believe.

Last edited by dpadams6; 01-01-2013 at 16:55..
Old 01-01-2013, 17:32   #4
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

It's like sports teams of the soul. My team is better than yours, sucker.
Old 01-01-2013, 18:04   #5
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Because no one taught them any better when they were children. They never learned how to disagree with people just to yell and scream because "you believe in something"
Old 01-01-2013, 18:25   #6
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

I believe that Atheism is more about contempt for other people than it is about not believing in God.

Religious believers place God at the pinnacle of creation, with man subservient to God.

Atheists demand to be at the pinnacle of creation, with other men subservient to them.

That means God must go!

Notice how quick atheists resort to attacking a person's intelligence level and demeaning them personally.

When atheists deny the exist of God, in reality they're telling their fellow man that, "you're stupid for believing in God and I'm smarter than you are because don't believe such nonsense".

The typical atheist personality considers other people as inferior, not only in religion but other areas of life too.

They can't stand God getting all the attention that they feel they deserve.

Last edited by JBnTX; 01-01-2013 at 18:29..
Old 01-01-2013, 18:48   #7
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

Quote:
Posted by CD:
Now, thatís funny. I donít care who yaí are.

Vic:
ď[Atheists] lead such a miserable existence that you hang out on a religious forum to harass believers. I guess misery likes company and you are hoping to destroy the faith of as many as you can.

The carnal mind hates the law of God which is righteousness or right doing. Therefore, the carnally minded have no ability to rise above sin or wrongdoing because they love to wallow in it.

JNnTX:
This is for the atheists that infest this forum.
I'm being as nice as I can to atheists.
If you only knew the effort I expend in restraining myself.
I just love dragging you Godless heathens out into the light for all to see.
I don't have any liberal friends.
I don't have any atheist friends either.

And so on. Iím not going to bother digging out all the anger, insults and bad manners displayed by believers on this forum.

In my opinion, the worst rudeness is exhibited by believers who start a thread, get challenged, canít come up with an answer that would convince a 2nd grader and then just quit posting rather than admit they were wrong.

Quote:
Posted by JB:
When atheists deny the exist of God, in reality they're telling their fellow man that, "you're stupid for believing in God and I'm smarter than you are because don't believe such nonsense".
Personally, I don't feel that way. To me, believers simply lack critical thinking skills or they're so emotionally invested in their beliefs that they can't allow themselves to abandon obvious mythology.

I donít have to tell my fellow man that, ďYouíre deluded for believing in an imaginary god and Iím much more in touch with reality for rejecting nonsenseĒ.

That goes without saying.

No offense.
Old 01-01-2013, 18:48   #8
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I believe that Atheism is more about contempt for other people than it is about not believing in God.

Religious believers place God at the pinnacle of creation, with man subservient to God.

Atheists demand to be at the pinnacle of creation, with other men subservient to them.

That means God must go!

Notice how quick atheists resort to attacking a person's intelligence level and demeaning them personally.

The typical atheist personality considers other people as inferior, not only in religion but other areas of life too.

They can't stand God getting all the attention that they feel they deserve.

I do see a component of narcissism and hubris in many, but not all. But I do have to disagree with your assertion that they think another is stupid for believing in God. I've been called plenty of names, and only because I refused to commit to the absence of a god. Even admitting you don't know isn't good enough. If you point out that having faith that no deity has existed, that is met with hostility too.
Old 01-01-2013, 18:50   #9
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post

Vic:
ď[Atheists] lead such a miserable existence that you hang out on a religious forum to harass believers. I guess misery likes company and you are hoping to destroy the faith of as many as you can.

The carnal mind hates the law of God which is righteousness or right doing. Therefore, the carnally minded have no ability to rise above sin or wrongdoing because they love to wallow in it.

JNnTX:
This is for the atheists that infest this forum.
I'm being as nice as I can to atheists.
If you only knew the effort I expend in restraining myself.
I just love dragging you Godless heathens out into the light for all to see.
I don't have any liberal friends.
I don't have any atheist friends either.

And so on. Iím not going to bother digging out all the anger, insults and bad manners displayed by believers on this forum.

In my opinion, the worst rudeness is exhibited by believers who start a thread, get challenged, canít come up with an answer that would convince a 2nd grader and then just quit posting rather than admit they were wrong.

Personally, I don't feel that way. To me, believers simply lack critical thinking skills or they're so emotionally invested in their beliefs that they can't allow themselves to abandon obvious mythology.

I donít have to tell my fellow man that, ďYouíre deluded for believing in an imaginary god and Iím much more in touch with reality for rejecting nonsenseĒ.

That goes without saying.

No offense.
Meh, no offense from me either. But I have to point out that I have been attacked repeatedly by atheists, and I'm an agnostic. Just for pointing out that a strong belief in something that cannot be proven, requires faith. Even if it is the absence of a deity.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:42   #10
Vic Hays

People get upset and aggressive when they feel threatened. People like to feel secure so when other views are expressed that they are unsure about they feel threatened.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:44   #11
ksg0245

Quote:
I do see a component of narcissism and hubris in many, but not all. But I do have to disagree with your assertion that they think another is stupid for believing in God. I've been called plenty of names, and only because I refused to commit to the absence of a god. Even admitting you don't know isn't good enough. If you point out that having faith that no deity has existed, that is met with hostility too.
That's funny, given that virtually every atheist here has clearly explained their beliefs or lack thereof, and specifically stated they don't know whether any deities exist. Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.

No, that couldn't possibly be it.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:48   #12
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post

Vic:

Not hatred just fact. Why else would an atheist hang out on a religious forum and attack believers?

This is just human nature. I have experienced it myself in the past. It goes along with holding grudges and bitter and resentful feelings.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:51   #13
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
That's funny, given that virtually every atheist here has clearly explained their beliefs or lack thereof, and specifically stated they don't know whether any deities exist. Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.

No, that couldn't possibly be it.
Not virtually every. Only the most devout and pious among that faith have done that.

They profess a passive belief, and yet are amazingly active in their proselytizing for the faith, with a surety and pureness of purpose that defies a passive belief.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:52   #14
steve1988

I think atheists (like all groups of people) have a fairly even mix of personalities in them. The ones that stick out to you, unfortunately, are the ones that rub you the wrong way. I think this goes for all groups with which you have limited contact. I know many atheists who are decent people. They don't attack my beliefs, and I don't attack theirs. If we have a conversation about it, it is just the two of us conversing about what we believe and why we believe it. We don't attack each other's character or intelligence over a difference in opinion. Rational people just don't do that.
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
Old 01-01-2013, 19:53   #15
wrenrj1

Read the Joy of hate by "Greg Gudfeld." An interesting and humorous look at the subject. Still finishing it myself.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:58   #16
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
I believe that the anonymity granted by the Internet empowers people to say things and treat others in ways which they wouldn't if they were having a face-to-face conversation with another person.

I am friends with plenty of Atheists as well as with plenty of devout Christians and I would say that, for the most part, my Christian friends tend to be a bit more "emotional" when their beliefs are questioned.
Old 01-01-2013, 20:00   #17
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1988 View Post
I think atheists (like all groups of people) have a fairly even mix of personalities in them. The ones that stick out to you, unfortunately, are the ones that rub you the wrong way. I think this goes for all groups with which you have limited contact. I know many atheists who are decent people. They don't attack my beliefs, and I don't attack theirs. If we have a conversation about it, it is just the two of us conversing about what we believe and why we believe it. We don't attack each other's character or intelligence over a difference in opinion. Rational people just don't do that.
I agree. IRL, I know several people of many different faiths. I work with christians of several denominations, hindus, muslims, atheists, sikhs, jews etc. Even agnostics. It is very rare that religion comes up, and when it usually does, it is related to what is acceptable to bring to a pot lock, or pointing out what contains meat/beef/pork on the table. I'll go ahead, and admit that I've decided that I would never join a religion that did not allow bacon. That's just wrong to me, but I have no problem with people that don't eat pork (leave more bacon for me).

I think the internet is a peculiar place, where people say things they would never say IRL. Either due to fear of legal repercussions or a punch in the nose.

Either way, I think the devout atheists come here to beat up on people trying to discuss aspects of their religion out of simple schadenfreude or for revenge for a past transgression by another.

Eh? It's a guess. Not many would admit it if true. One has, but that was a while ago, and It would not be polite to bring up his trauma again. That is for him to do if he wishes.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-01-2013 at 20:02..
Old 01-01-2013, 20:04   #18
ksg0245

Quote:
Not virtually every. Only the most devout and pious among that faith have done that.
It'd be great if you could be more specific.

Quote:
They profess a passive belief, and yet are amazingly active in their proselytizing for the faith, with a surety and pureness of purpose that defies a passive belief.
Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.
Old 01-01-2013, 20:30   #19
dbcooper

I'm agnostic myself

Lurking around here you see both sides have a few that react the way Doc listed in the first post if you look at it honestly.

I couldn't tell you how many times dhimmi has been tossed at me.

I'll poke fun, like the imaginary friend post, but it's in jest usually.

It's pretty easy to see who's trying to remain respectful even when things get heated, just look at the capital letters.

Last edited by dbcooper; 01-01-2013 at 20:36..
Old 01-01-2013, 20:38   #20
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
It'd be great if you could be more specific.

Maybe the cause of atheists' bad manners is constantly having their position lied about and mischaracterised, among other things.
Inconvenient truths happen. I've often pointed out that many self described atheists are actually mislabeled agnostics.

The more abrasive ones tend to be atheists that deny the definition of atheist. Odd?

Closed Thread