SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 00:15   #1
kyglockshooter 2.0

62 year old man accidently shoots himself while taking apart a glock

"
WEST COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 62-year-old man has died after accidentally shooting himself at a West Columbia shooting range.
Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman said Jerry Marsh III of Columbia was taking his .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic handgun apart around 7 p.m. Thursday at Shooter's Choice when it fired, striking him in the chest.
Authorities say Marsh died a short time later at the hospital.
West Columbia Police continue to investigate the shooting.

I do not know who the person is but this shows why you must ALWAYS check to make sure a firearm is unloaded before doing any kind of work on a gun. I am known for making stupid mistakes in the past, although I make it a personal goal to never be the person one of these articles is written about, its a goal i encourage everyone should have. yet the error the gentleman made was one that easily could had been prevented by having the muzzle in a safe direction at all times, I know at almost every range I have been to has the cardinal rules of firearm handling posted somewhere, one of them is treat every gun as it is loaded and keep the muzzle in a safe direction at all times. The rules seems to have been around for awhile and they do not seem to have changed much so I'd think they are a safe to follow. There are rules in life you can break, the speed limit is one of them you can break it and usually get away with. yet unsafe handling of firearms has zero benefits and deadly results.

Last edited by kyglockshooter 2.0; 12-08-2012 at 01:37..
kyglockshooter 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33   #2
1RoundEye

Who knows what the real story is with all the facts, but based on the article he broke several basic firearm safety rules. A the very least as you mentioned he did not physically check and ensure that the pistol wasn't loaded, and he didn't have it pointed in a safe direction.

:(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

1RoundEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 13:07   #3
kyglockshooter 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RoundEye View Post
Who knows what the real story is with all the facts, but based on the article he broke several basic firearm safety rules. A the very least as you mentioned he did not physically check and ensure that the pistol wasn't loaded, and he didn't have it pointed in a safe direction.

I agree, with who knows what really happened. Everything i said was based off of what was said in the article which was not a lot of information. As sad as this story is, it's still the perfect example to show people if they do not handle firearms with care and respect it could end similarly for them.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:34   #4
PM720

Quote:

One of the C&R matches you missed a couple of months ago a guy was getting his gun out and pulled the trigger before clearing it and put a nice hole through the floor in the back of his shiny new SUV. Just missed the gas tank I guess. Happened a few minutes before I got there but it was the buzz of the day.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:38   #5
1RoundEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
One of the C&R matches you missed a couple of months ago a guy was getting his gun out and pulled the trigger before clearing it and put a nice hole through the floor in the back of his shiny new SUV. Just missed the gas tank I guess. Happened a few minutes before I got there but it was the buzz of the day.

Scott
WTF? I don't even...

Couple of questions:

1.) If he was just getting to the range, why was he traveling with a loaded gun? I guess maybe with CCW, but if it was me, I'd be carrying another gun than the one I planned on using at the match.

2.). If he was packing up to leave, how in the h*ll did he get off the firing line with a loaded pistol.

- - - -

Did they send him home for the day? I probably would have if it was my range.

I'm not going to lie, at least on one occasion when I was clearing a malfunction, I had a discharge when I didn't think it would, but it was always pointed in a safe direction (I.E. Not the floor of my car). In my case, I was helping someone else who told me the case was stuck, and FTE. So after manipulating the slide a few times with little success, I was going to break down the gun a knock it out with a rod. While pulling the trigger for disassembly it went boom, but it was pointed down range...

Last edited by 1RoundEye; 12-09-2012 at 19:07..
Old 12-09-2012, 17:20   #6
kyglockshooter 2.0

Quote:
WTF? I don't even...

I'm not going to lie, at least on one occasion when I was clearing a malfunction, I had a discharge when I didn't think it would, but it was always pointed in a safe direction (I.E. Not the floor of my car). In my case, I was helping someone else who told me the case was stuck, and FTE. So after manipulating the slide a few times with little success, I was going to break down the fun a knock it out with a rod. While pulling the trigger for disassembly it went boom, but it was pointed down range...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

That is the perfect example of how to safely have an accident.
Old 12-09-2012, 17:58   #7
PM720

Quote:
WTF? I don't even...

Couple of questions:

1.) If he was just getting to the range, why was he traveling with a loaded gun? I guess maybe with CCW, but if it was me, I'd be carrying another gun than the one I planned on using at the match.

2.). If he was packing up to leave, how in the h*ll did he get off the firing line with a loaded pistol.

- - - -

Did they send him home for the day? I probably would have if it was my range.

I'm not going to lie, at least on one occasion when I was clearing a malfunction, I had a discharge when I didn't think it would, but it was always pointed in a safe direction (I.E. Not the floor of my car). In my case, I was helping someone else who told me the case was stuck, and FTE. So after manipulating the slide a few times with little success, I was going to break down the fun a knock it out with a rod. While pulling the trigger for disassembly it went boom, but it was pointed down range...
No one really had any details. I know my .357 is always loaded and the G19 has a loaded mag in it at home. If someone less anal than I was packing up their home defense gun didn't properly check it I can see it happening. A TON of fail though. Didn't check it when he packed it up and again when he unpacked it.

He was part of a large group that were still shooting when I got there so it sounds like he was allowed to shoot. Unless I misunderstood what I was told. I did get to see the "group" shoot and they were kinda sketchy from a safety standpoint. Kim looked pretty nervous that day.

Scott

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 19:57   #8
kyglockshooter 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
No one really had any details. I know my .357 is always loaded and the G19 has a loaded mag in it at home. If someone less anal than I was packing up their home defense gun didn't properly check it I can see it happening. A TON of fail though. Didn't check it when he packed it up and again when he unpacked it.

He was part of a large group that were still shooting when I got there so it sounds like he was allowed to shoot. Unless I misunderstood what I was told. I did get to see the "group" shoot and they were kinda sketchy from a safety standpoint. Kim looked pretty nervous that day.

Scott

Scott
See I personally would have walked away from that group. There are no benifits from shooting in a unsafe manner. I was at a subway in west virgina getting a sandwhich the guy making it saw I had on a shooting shirt, knob creek gun club machine gun shoot was on the front of the shirt. The guy starts asking questions, around the third question after finding its all military guns being shot. The question was so do you all allow drinking while shooting...no they dont . His reaction dam that sucks. I was amazed, the guns he wants to get drunk and shoot are designed to all shoot a lot of rounds at fairly high rates of fire to neutralize a target who is trying to kill you. Yes being drunk while shooting these guns is a great idea

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39   #9
glock_collector

One of my young(22) students has a nice entry/exit scar thru his palm cause he broke down his 9mm glock....
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 17:59   #10
1RoundEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_collector View Post
One of my young(22) students has a nice entry/exit scar thru his palm cause he broke down his 9mm glock....
Damn....ouch.... :(