Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2012, 17:33   #1
bac1023

Still in search of a Korriphila HSP...

Well, I had a loose deal set up to buy a 4" Korriphila HSP in January and it fell through last week. I had contacted the seller back in August. He was selling one in 45ACP with a 4" barrel. The asking price was $8000, which was too high. I offered $5000 and we then agreed on $6000 shipped.

The problem was that it wasn't the configuration I was looking for. I wanted the full size 5" barreled version in 9mm. While I love 45ACP, its still a very distant second to my favorite caliber (9mm). This is even more true when we're talking about high end European pistols. To me, they should definitely be in a European caliber. Because of that, I was on the fence about the purchase and said to myself that if it was still available in January, it would be mine. Well, someone else offered to buy it a few weeks early. Had it been the one I really wanted, I would have bought it early or at least offered some money to hold it. At this point, I'm now back in the market to find one.

The Korriphila HSP is a holy grail pistol for me. I had started a thread on it a few months back after picking up my first holy grail pistol in the Korth auto. Again though, I always envisioned one in 9mm with a 5" barrel.

Here's the thread. The lead on the model in 45ACP I spoke about is the same one that I had picked back up until last week.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1438243

So what do you think? Should I be kicking myself for letting this one slip away or should I be a bit relieved that I'm not forking out that kind of money for a holy grail pistol that wasn't exactly what I wanted? To be honest, my first thought was one of relief, because $6000 is a LOT of money, especially if its not exactly what I wanted. Today though, I was dwelling on it and feeling a little bummed. They are VERY hard to find.

I'm sure I'll be thrilled when I actually get the exact model I'm looking for, but right now I have some mixed feelings. I keep telling myself that the 5" barel looks much better and I know I wanted 9mm by far over any other caliber. However, I'm still feeling a bit sad that I let this one get away. It may be quite a while before I find another now.

Korriphilas are produced in Germany in extremely limited quantities, much like the Korth auto. However, when I got the Korth, it was the EXACT configuration I wanted. It was a West German model, with a matte blue finish with wood grips in 9mm. This Korriphila was not the exact model I wanted, but once again, they are not easy to find.

Any thoughts?

How hard should I be kicking myself?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 17:47   #2
countrygun

IMO, if you are anything like me, then "you want what you want"I have "settled forsomethings that were "close" and I have almost always ended up spending more money later to get the exact thing. I have a couple of examples in my collection now. Although I admit I collect in the "working gun" realm, but I don't think there is a difference except for the number of zeros involved.

Sometimes I am backwards about it. I have one gun that I have wanted for decades, even though I have a couple that are very similar, and no doubt better guns and they were as expensive or even much more so, I still have the itch for THAT gun.

Now bearing in mind I am talking about a"shooter/carry' type gun. If I can be that picky in my price range I do not see any problem with someone collecting at your level waiting to get EXACTLY what they want. It's your (lots of) money. Get want you want and nothing else.

BTW. I agree most guns are best in their "native" caliber.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 19:13   #3
Rustin

In my opinion, you are better off just waiting for the exact model you want. I do understand that they are rare, but I feel you will prevail and end up finding the elusive 5" 9mm version. Good luck.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 19:22   #4

Don't settle. If it's not exactly what you want it's not what you want. I suspect you wouldn't really be happy.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:13   #5
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
IMO, if you are anything like me, then "you want what you want"I have "settled forsomethings that were "close" and I have almost always ended up spending more money later to get the exact thing. I have a couple of examples in my collection now. Although I admit I collect in the "working gun" realm, but I don't think there is a difference except for the number of zeros involved.

Sometimes I am backwards about it. I have one gun that I have wanted for decades, even though I have a couple that are very similar, and no doubt better guns and they were as expensive or even much more so, I still have the itch for THAT gun.

Now bearing in mind I am talking about a"shooter/carry' type gun. If I can be that picky in my price range I do not see any problem with someone collecting at your level waiting to get EXACTLY what they want. It's your (lots of) money. Get want you want and nothing else.

BTW. I agree most guns are best in their "native" caliber.
Thanks, my friend. I appreciate your thoughts and agree with what you're saying.

By the way, I feel the same way about getting exactly what you want regardless of the price. Most of my collection is well under $1000 and I've always waited for the exact configuration. Fortunately, most guns are much more easy to find than this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-04-2012, 20:17   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I have to agree with CounrtyGun.

Every time I have settle on on CLOSE, it's always cost me more in the end.
You held your ground in the negotiation, seller's loss, not your's Brian.

Another will come alone.........patience my friend.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:25   #7
ctfireman

Dude going by what you already have, settling is not an option on something you consider a holy grail pistol.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:31   #8
Bruce M

Add me to the column that thinks you are better off to wait for the exact version that you want. Not only for the reasons listed above but especially since that is the 9mm version, that will be the much more prudent choice based on the appreciably higher cost of .45 ammunition versus 9mm.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 12-04-2012 at 20:32..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:56   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I have to agree with CounrtyGun.

Every time I have settle on on CLOSE, it's always cost me more in the end.
You held your ground in the negotiation, seller's loss, not your's Brian.

Another will come alone.........patience my friend.
Thanks Greg, much appreciated.

I was starting to feel remorse for not locking in the deal, but this thread is making sense.

Old 12-04-2012, 20:58   #10
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfireman View Post
Dude going by what you already have, settling is not an option on something you consider a holy grail pistol.
Thanks. I'm not sure this was really a "settle", but it certainly wasn't exactly what I envisioned when I bought a Korriphila.

Old 12-04-2012, 21:01   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Add me to the column that thinks you are better off to wait for the exact version that you want. Not only for the reasons listed above but especially since that is the 9mm version, that will be the much more prudent choice based on the appreciably higher cost of .45 ammunition versus 9mm.

Thanks Bruce

You just gave me another reason to be happy I'm waiting for a 9mm version to come along.

Old 12-04-2012, 21:05   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

No regret.
Old 12-04-2012, 21:22   #13
SigFTW

Part of the fun and thrill, if you will, is the hunt for what you want! I think you are beyond the point of settling, especial when you are dealing with 5k+ guns. I would have passed also.

Last edited by SigFTW; 12-04-2012 at 21:23..
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:23   #14
Jim Watson

If you buy the 4 inch .45 then you will have to buy a 5 inch 9mm whenever one turns up.

You can look at that as settling for second best and then having to get what you really wanted to start with. And having to figure out what to do with the .45.
Or you can look at it as ending up with two different variants of an already scarce gun.
Old 12-04-2012, 21:40   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Just buy a Korth pistol.
Old 12-04-2012, 21:58   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
If you buy the 4 inch .45 then you will have to buy a 5 inch 9mm whenever one turns up.

You can look at that as settling for second best and then having to get what you really wanted to start with. And having to figure out what to do with the .45.
Or you can look at it as ending up with two different variants of an already scarce gun.
Thanks Jim. I know I'll never pay the money for two Korriphilas, so that's even more reason to wait for the one I really want.

I could see buying the 4" 45ACP and then see a full size 9mm turn up afterwards. Then I'd REALLY be kicking myself.

Old 12-04-2012, 22:03   #17
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Just buy a Korth pistol.
Just like I wouldn't own two Korriphilas, I wouldn't spend the money on another Korth. That goes for a pistol or revolver.

Its just too much money.

...for me anyway. I know there are people who actually have large collections of $5-$10,000 handguns. I'm nowhere near that league. I just dabble in it when I can.

Fortunately, I enjoy handguns in all price ranges.

The Korth is a real masterpiece though...

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

The Korriphila is the one pistol that I think can match it in terms of sheer build quality and I'm dying to compare them.

Last edited by bac1023; 12-04-2012 at 22:20..
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25   #18
boomhower

For that kind of money get exactly what you want. Eventually you will anyways so just wait and get it the first time!
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16   #19
PzGren

Brian,

be patient. All good things come those that wait. I finally found my second Anschütz 1423 and I waited a long time to get my first Korth.

You will find that Korriphila and if you need to import it, remember my PM.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10   #20
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzGren View Post
Brian,

be patient. All good things come those that wait. I finally found my second Anschütz 1423 and I waited a long time to get my first Korth.

You will find that Korriphila and if you need to import it, remember my PM.

Absolutely, Andy

I may have to do that to get one. Thank you, my friend.