Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 17:09   #21
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schabesbert View Post
Why doesn't that seem to include such propaganda as "Heather has two mommies?"
Because lesbianism is a fact of life. It's real. It happens. There are children with two mommies. An educated well adjusted society understands these things and are not afraid of acknowledging it. School prepares children for the real world.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:31   #22
Kentak

Quote:
You raise an interesting question. This comes under the category of "controversial subjects." Deciding how schools should handle them is not always easy.

The quick answer to your question is that teaching children at an appropriate age that "nontraditional" families exist is teaching a reality of life--and by itself is religion neutral. As such, that doesn't cross a church/state barrier. Now, I haven't read "Heather Has Two Mommies," so I don't know how deeply it goes into acceptance issues.

The problem comes from the discussion and questions that inevitably arise following such a story. Certainly, some children may recount religious teachings that indicate same-sex coupling is wrong. If the school's response is to indicate that same-sex coupling is not wrong, and should be accepted--rather than merely presenting it as something that exists--it is teaching a value judgement rather than a fact. That ground is more shaky.

To me, this is different than something like the evolution issue. Done correctly, students will have been taught the foundations of scientific enquiry, the scientific method, and the importance of arriving at conclusions based on evidence. Students who raise religious objections to evolution, can, and should be answered with the values neutral explanation of what the science shows.
Old 12-06-2012, 21:55   #23
Kentak

Let me try to further clarify what I'm getting at in that previous post.

Abortion is one of those "controversial" issues that require careful handling by schools.

In civics/social studies/history classes, it's perfectly appropriate to teach about the issue as one of the most contentious hot-button issues in recent American history. It's perfectly appropriate to discuss the various viewpoints, state laws, Roe v. Wade, constitutional debate, etc. Pro-choice groups, Right-to-Life groups. All that.

What is not appropriate, is for a (public) school to teach abortion is morally wrong or abortion is morally acceptable. It's okay for an individual teacher to present their own viewpoint as long as they make clear it is a personal belief, and as long as they allow other viewpoints and don't favor one or the other.

Likewise, homosexuality and gay rights issues are legitimate topics in biology, history, and civics classes. The *moral* acceptance or non-acceptance of homosexual acts, same-sex marriage, etc., is entering that shaky ground of values judgements for which schools should be neutral.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:51   #24
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
How strong can a cartoon's religious overtones be with a couple of lesbians in it?
One was lesbian, the other was bi.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52   #25
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
So your solution for the children that didn't want to go (but wanted to avoid the peer pressure) is for them to lie?
Gecko,

Please read the last sentence in my post. A possibility was to say nothing but since we are talking about Godless heathans I doubt they would have a problem with it.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie

Last edited by Roering; 12-07-2012 at 10:56..
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26   #26
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Gecko,

Please read the last sentence in my post. A possibility was to say nothing but since we are talking about Godless heathans I doubt they would have a problem with it.
Now you're just being silly.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41   #27
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Why is that propaganda? Families with 2 mothers are verifiable.
God is not.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20   #28
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

You know at the rate all this religious people love to bring up homosexuality I think maybe their idol Jesus Christ is a little light in the loafers.

I mean take one look at the guy he had highlights and long straight hair.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 13:00   #29
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Now you're just being silly.
Well yes. The Roering you get on Friday is different than a Sat-Th. Roering.