SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:20   #21
Guss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Now, he's all butt hurt and blaming religion.
But he wouldn't have had a chance to blame religion if the military were doing things the right way.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:54   #22
PaulMason

Quote:
He had less than six months before graduation and earning a four year college degree. He'd put up with it for over 3 1/2 years. He couldn't do six more months?

He could have easily done the remaining time. NOBODY just gives up that close to a college degree, no matter what the hardships are.

He either quit for a different reason or was asked to leave in lieu of being discharged for a cause. You can bank on it.

People that believe he quit 6 months before graduation because of religion also think the protest/attack on the US embassy in Libya on 9/11 was due to a youtube video.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:33   #23
Phaze5ive

Quote:
He had less than six months before graduation and earning a four year college degree. He'd put up with it for over 3 1/2 years. He couldn't do six more months?

He could have easily done the remaining time. NOBODY just gives up that close to a college degree, no matter what the hardships are.

He either quit for a different reason or was asked to leave in lieu of being discharged for a cause. You can bank on it.

Maybe his way of making a statement was to quit...

Last edited by Phaze5ive; 12-07-2012 at 14:33..
Phaze5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:39   #24
bobtheelf

Quote:
NOBODY just gives up that close to a college degree, no matter what the hardships are.
My grandfather left college one semester away from graduating to deploy to Europe in WWII.

I had a teacher who left school one quarter away from a math degree to start over in psychology.

You believe a lot of things that just aren't true.
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:45   #25
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
People that believe he quit 6 months before graduation because of religion also think the protest/attack on the US embassy in Libya on 9/11 was due to a youtube video.

"because of clinical depression and anxiety. He said his condition has gotten worse since his father killed himself last year."

'

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Last edited by pipedreams; 12-07-2012 at 14:56..
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:16   #26
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post
"because of clinical depression and anxiety. He said his condition has gotten worse since his father killed himself last year."
I can see where it is likely the two are related. If he was already being hazed for not being religious, can you imagine the comments he got when his father killed himself? I bet he had to endure morbid quips about his heathen father burning in hell or rotting in the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:07   #27
Sarge1400

Quote:
He could have easily done the remaining time.
And you know this how, exactly?

Quote:
NOBODY just gives up that close to a college degree, no matter what the hardships are.
You have a penchant for using words like 'nobody', 'never', and 'always'. You obviously have little to no debate or critical thinking skills or experience. Based on your posts, I'm inclined to say you have very little education of any kind, save maybe Sunday School.

Quote:
He either quit for a different reason or was asked to leave in lieu of being discharged for a cause.
There you go jumping to conclusions again.

Quote:
You can bank on it.
I wouldn't bank on anything you say.
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:18   #28
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacktard View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/cadet-quits-ci...211844765.html

Only one real American at West Point?
No, actually one guy who quit when he found out he couldn't be an Army officer after graduation, because he was crazy, so he decided to blow the chance for a West Point degree to get attention by making a public statement.

I'm not a fan of religion, at all, but this guy was an attention seeking nut, who would never have done this if he hadn't found out he was ineligible for the military.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:21   #29
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
I can see where it is likely the two are related. If he was already being hazed for not being religious, can you imagine the comments he got when his father killed himself? I bet he had to endure morbid quips about his heathen father burning in hell or rotting in the ground.
You are creating a fantasy world that doesn't really exist in the military. It's a long, long way from religious and people give less of a crap about your religion than almost anywhere I can think of, including college. The only people I have ever heard make claims like this guy are those who have an axe to grind for other reasons.
Old 12-07-2012, 16:26   #30
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
You are creating a fantasy world that doesn't really exist in the military. It's a long, long way from religious and people give less of a crap about religion than almost anywhere I can think of, including college. The only people I have ever heard make claims like this guy are those who have an axe to grind for other reasons.
Meh, what would I know about the military...

(Operation Desert Shield/Storm & Operation Deliberate Force)

I get it, I'm proud of my time in the service too and you're right about religion being a non issue in the mainstream military. However, I'm not so naive as to believe that a paramilitary organization such as West Point can be completely immune to effects found throughout society.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 12-07-2012 at 22:47..
Old 12-07-2012, 16:35   #31
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

And since it seems relevant, I actually experience something like this right now. Working for a large school district, I've witnessed organized calls to prayer during work hours at official office functions. I just lower my head and wait for them to finish. I don't pray, I don't say amen, but I don't advertise that I am an atheist either. If I wanted to, I could probably have a pretty good pay day with an EEOC complaint and lawsuit, but that's really not my style.

Old 12-07-2012, 17:16   #32
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
There are no atheists in foxholes, because they always test out of infantry.
Now THATS funny!
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 21:57   #33
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
And since it seems relevant, I actually experience something like this right now. Working for a large school district, I've witnessed organized calls to prayer during work hours at official office functions. I just lower my head and wait for them to finish. I don't pray, I don't say amen, but I don't advertise that I am an atheist either. If I wanted to, I could probably have a pretty good pay day with an EEOC complaint and lawsuit, but that's really not my style.

Your stock just went up....
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 22:54   #34
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Your stock just went up....
LOL! Well, remember that the next time I say something that pisses you off!

Last edited by Geko45; 12-07-2012 at 22:55..
Old 12-11-2012, 09:17   #35
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
Maybe the fact that I was an enlisted man in the Army and an officer in the Air Force made a difference.
I was Air Force enlisted, and based on my experience I don't think being an officer had anything to do with it.

They explicitly told everyone taking it at the time I originally took it that we could leave out "So help me God" in the enlistment oath, for instance.

We had to go to the chapel once during basic, as a mandatory thing. However, that was explicitly so they could ensure that everyone knew where it was (basically so no one could claim they weren't allowed to worship by virtue of not knowing). After that it was basically go if you wanted, don't if you don't. A lot of people found religion (because it was basically some hours every week with no TI around), but I always stayed back at the dorm - and we might have had to buff the floors or whatever during that time but it wasn't specifically "you're not going to church so we're punishing you", it was "this stuff needs done and you're here, do it", and there were times that we would just end up reading or polishing our boots and BS'ing or whatever (maybe 3-4 guys didn't go).

There was no officer-initiated, specifically Christian prayer like you hear stories about coming from the Army, nor was there any hazing based on religion, that I remember.

There wasn't anything specifically pro-non-believer, either, but the chaplains were there for people who wanted them and the people who didn't basically could go about their duties and life w/out worry.

This may largely be a matter of where, when, and particularly under who that any particular person served.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 12-11-2012 at 09:25..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:12   #36
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
We had to go to the chapel once during basic, as a mandatory thing. However, that was explicitly so they could ensure that everyone knew where it was (basically so no one could claim they weren't allowed to worship by virtue of not knowing). After that it was basically go if you wanted, don't if you don't. A lot of people found religion (because it was basically some hours every week with no TI around), but I always stayed back at the dorm - and we might have had to buff the floors or whatever during that time but it wasn't specifically "you're not going to church so we're punishing you", it was "this stuff needs done and you're here, do it", and there were times that we would just end up reading or polishing our boots and BS'ing or whatever (maybe 3-4 guys didn't go).

In the Army, we don't usually make them do work if they stay in the barracks instead of going to church. In fact, the ones who don't go usually get personal time and sometimes even calls home and PX trps and such. Not many usually go to church - far less than half. Among those, many only go because the churches tend to give them snacks to encourage them to come every Sunday. We had many who would freely admit that didn't follow the religion they were going to church for. We had black kids from New York going to the mormon service and white kids from kansas going to the muslim services, etc. Nobody cares, either among the privates or the drill sergeants.

Last summer, I had to take 3 privates to the Wiccan service, because they were just curious, but when a guy wearing a skirt, pink half shirt and makeup met them at the door, they decided to try a different religion the next week (I made them stay for the Wiccan service - they said he danced and cried during it). Then I went to the Episcopal church and picked up the privates there, one of whom said she really was a Wiccan, but the Episcopals had pizza and cookies.

When I was deployed in 2009-10, I know there were some sort of religious services on our FOB sometimes, but very, very few people ever went.

Last edited by Bren; 12-11-2012 at 10:14..
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18   #37
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
In the Army, we don't usually make them do work if they stay in the barracks instead of going to church.
Well, like I said - it wasn't a matter of "You're going to do this because you didn't go to church". It was a matter of "this needs done, you're here, do it". And, again, like I said, there were plenty of times it was just sit-around-and-do-basically-whatever (like reading letters and such).

It was really no different than when people had visitor center visits or whatever - if work needed done the people who were in the barracks did it. It didn't matter *why* the people who weren't in the barracks, weren't in the barracks.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 12-11-2012 at 10:20..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34   #38
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

There's a lot of religion in the military, I simply respected their chosen path and went about my day. That West Point story seems to be all bout his mental capacity to be an officer, with a little sizzle thrown in for PR purposes. Heck when I was in boot camp I went to the Mormon services. Only because the catholic and protestant services were more of the same boot camp regimen. In the Mormon services they brought in hot chicks to talk to us, great planning on their part. They let us write letters home and actually speak. Nothing wrong with hot chicks and a little free time. Thanks Mormons, brilliant plan.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49   #39
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

I’m sure there’s more to the story.

When I went through USAF OTS, the top student, OT Wing Commander, etc., was a Sr. Master Sgt who just wanted to prove he was qualified to be an officer. He quit the day before graduation and handed in his retirement papers. He had 26 years in at that time.

Big waste of taxpayer’s money.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 13:26   #40
Roering
Sorting nuts

Atheists graduate West Point every year without so much as a complaint in their four year experience. I wonder what his real reason is.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote