SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:34   #1
Glock36shooter

Leviticus 19:28

Quote:
28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.
So I just want to hear some thoughts on this one. Seems pretty clear you aren't supposed to mark on your body. Doesn't even say permanent marks either. So it raises a few questions.

1. Does this include makeup for women?

2. This absolutely covers tattoos right?

3. If religiously based are they graven images?

Religious Issues
Religious Issues
Religious Issues
Religious Issues

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44   #2
Roering
Sorting nuts

Doesn't look like Jewish symbols to me.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46   #3
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I know someone recently who got a bible verse as a tattoo. I'm not judging anyone for getting any tattoos, and while many get one because it looks cool, to many their tats have meaning. I think it's more about your heart than anything else.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50   #4
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Doesn't look like Jewish symbols to me.
So it would need to be jewish to be a graven image?

And that first one and second one don't look like a bunch of jewish guys to you? LOL

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 01-03-2013 at 10:51..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52   #5
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I know someone recently who got a bible verse as a tattoo. I'm not judging anyone for getting any tattoos, and while many get one because it looks cool, to many their tats have meaning. I think it's more about your heart than anything else.
Interesting... so you can commit an everlasting sin but if you're heart is full of love for Christ you are good?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59   #6
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
So it would need to be jewish to be a graven image?

And that first one and second one don't look like a bunch of jewish guys to you? LOL
Leviticus is a book of Law that coincides with the old covenant.

Yes they look Jewish, but I suspect the person with the tattoo is not.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00   #7
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:

So I just want to hear some thoughts on this one. Seems pretty clear you aren't supposed to mark on your body.
Are you looking for a mature and intellectual discussion of the subject, or are you just going to ridicule and demean any believer who posts their opinion on the subject?
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21   #8
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Leviticus is a book of Law that coincides with the old covenant.

Yes they look Jewish, but I suspect the person with the tattoo is not.
So the old covenant only applies to Jews?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39   #9
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
So the old covenant only applies to Jews?
One could make a case that it doesn't even apply to them anymore.

Hebrews 8:13
In that He says, A new covenant, He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

I have to wonder why you care though. Does the book of Leviticus mean anything to you?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43   #10
Glock36shooter

Quote:
One could make a case that it doesn't even apply to them anymore.

Hebrews 8:13
In that He says, A new covenant, He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

I have to wonder why you care though. Does the book of Leviticus mean anything to you?
I'm trying to understand why it's treated so casually. I see tons of Christians sporting Tattoos and God says right there not to. Unless there is someone else in the bible that says I am your Lord your God.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04   #11
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Christians also eat pork and bacon.

Christ fulfilled the old law, removing certain aspects of the old covenant.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06   #12
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorpinki View Post
Christians also eat pork and bacon.

Christ fulfilled the old law, removing certain aspects of the old covenant.
Certain aspects? Like?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 13:47   #13
Vic Hays

Quote:
I'm trying to understand why it's treated so casually. I see tons of Christians sporting Tattoos and God says right there not to. Unless there is someone else in the bible that says I am your Lord your God.
There are two answers to your question

1. Markings on the skin indicated heathen worship practices.

2. The statutes and judgments in the first five books of the law with the exception of those written by Gods finger were for the ancient nation of Israel under a Theocracy.

Moses makes this distinction here:

Deuteronomy 4:13 And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone.

Deuteronomy 4:14 And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and rules, that you might do them in the land that you are going over to possess.

The first 5 books of the Bible are attributed to Moses. Deuteronomy and Leviticus in particular are dedicated to the statutes and judgments for ancient Israel. This does not mean that there is not wisdom in following the health laws contained in them, but the ceremonies and religious teachings have now given way to the New Covenant which is the Old Covenant (the Law of God's Ten Commandments written in the heart by the Spirit of God).

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:54   #14
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
There are two answers to your question

1. Markings on the skin indicated heathen worship practices.

2. The statutes and judgments in the first five books of the law with the exception of those written by Gods finger were for the ancient nation of Israel under a Theocracy.

Moses makes this distinction here:

Deuteronomy 4:13 And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone.

Deuteronomy 4:14 And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and rules, that you might do them in the land that you are going over to possess.

The first 5 books of the Bible are attributed to Moses. Deuteronomy and Leviticus in particular are dedicated to the statutes and judgments for ancient Israel. This does not mean that there is not wisdom in following the health laws contained in them, but the ceremonies and religious teachings have now given way to the New Covenant which is the Old Covenant (the Law of God's Ten Commandments written in the heart by the Spirit of God).
Is it a sin to get a tattoo? And is it a permanent sin given that the tattoo remains forever?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 14:03   #15
Vic Hays

Quote:
Quote:
Is it a sin to get a tattoo? And is it a permanent sin given that the tattoo remains forever?
All sins are permanent. They cannot be undone. They can only be forgiven.

It probably is a sin to get a tattoo because it is defiling the temple of God, but it is not my place to make that judgment nor to be offended by one who does such.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Last edited by Vic Hays; 01-03-2013 at 14:03..
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:26   #16
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
All sins are permanent. They cannot be undone. They can only be forgiven.

It probably is a sin to get a tattoo because it is defiling the temple of God, but it is not my place to make that judgment nor to be offended by one who does such.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
The reason I'm bringing this up is because Christians often treat homosexuality or bi-sexuality as though it's among the worst things in the world you can do. It's treated with disgust, bigotry, and even hatred with the most extreme of you. But tattooss... Meh... no big deal. They're outlined as sin in the same place. Yet with tattoos I get responses that suggest there isn't anything wrong with them if you aren't Jewish... and maybe even then it's still ok because jesus fulfilled the old covenant. But all in all they're treated with very little concern. Yet homosexuals get demonized and treated like wicked individuals.

Doesn't it seem hypocritical? Why aren't people with tattoos treated the same as homosexuals by the religious?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 14:33   #17
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Certain aspects? Like?
Bacon

Old 01-03-2013, 14:42   #18
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Bacon
Good point. I LOVE bacon. Why am I not treated as badly as a homosexual? I mean they're both violating the same code of law.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 14:47   #19
fgutie35

Quote:
The reason I'm bringing this up is because Christians often treat homosexuality or bi-sexuality as though it's among the worst things in the world you can do. It's treated with disgust, bigotry, and even hatred with the most extreme of you. But tattooss... Meh... no big deal. They're outlined as sin in the same place. Yet with tattoos I get responses that suggest there isn't anything wrong with them if you aren't Jewish... and maybe even then it's still ok because jesus fulfilled the old covenant. But all in all they're treated with very little concern. Yet homosexuals get demonized and treated like wicked individuals.

Doesn't it seem hypocritical? Why aren't people with tattoos treated the same as homosexuals by the religious?
This is only my opinion. No one should be treated in any other way but with love and compasion. That is what Jesus thought us.
1.- to answer your original question, there is a scripture in the bible that clarifies that Nothing evil that come in you from outside defiles you, but anything evil that comes from within you out is what defiles you.
2.- according to scripture, in the eyes of God, there is no lesser sin or more greater sin. Sin is sin. So to the eyes of God, whether you cursed at the guy that cut you off on the expressway or you comitted theft, is the same.
3.- like some one said, sins are forgiven, but we still have to be cleansed from such sins in this life or the next. So there is still divine justice.
Old 01-03-2013, 14:51   #20
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
This is only my opinion. No one should be treated in any other way but with love and compasion. That is what Jesus thought us.
1.- to answer your original question, there is a scripture in the bible that clarifies that Nothing evil that come in you from outside defiles you, but anything evil that comes from within you out is what defiles you.
2.- according to scripture, in the eyes of God, there is no lesser sin or more greater sin. Sin is sin. So to the eyes of God, whether you cursed at the guy that cut you off on the expressway or you comitted theft, is the same.
3.- like some one said, sins are forgiven, but we still have to be cleansed from such sins in this life or the next. So there is still divine justice.

So someone who eats bacon is just as sinful as a homosexual? Someone who has a tattoo is just as sinful as a homosexual?

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang: