SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 22:51   #126
Snapper2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Do you really believe that most people are bad? Sure there are some bad people, but I would not say most. I'd say most are good.

I don't think the bad outweigh the good. I think the good outweigh the bad. That is part of my faith. I don't know that there is a god or not either. Faith is not just about having God pegged or in a box. Faith in humanity and the goodness of man is just as important, or even more important.

People who believe in God can be evil as well. Often they are as evil as the God they believe in.

I want to believe people are good too.But I will not put faith in a man. Faith is something that is given by God.I might be hopeful people will not be evil(believers and non believers) but that is their free will and not mine to control.The law is in place to control law breakers no matter who they are. Otherwise we wouldn't need it. It has no power to stop evil. It can only punish law breakers.I believe God sent His Son to earth to save only the law breakers. Apparently the law abiding didn't need Him.
Colossians 1:13-18
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 23:10   #127
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper2 View Post
I want to believe people are good too.
That is a good desire.

A God given desire to the who believes that faith is given by God.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:46   #128
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Do you really believe that most people are bad? Sure there are some bad people, but I would not say most. I'd say most are good.

I don't think the bad outweigh the good. I think the good outweigh the bad. That is part of my faith. I don't know that there is a god or not either. Faith is not just about having God pegged or in a box. Faith in humanity and the goodness of man is just as important, or even more important.

People who believe in God can be evil as well. Often they are as evil as the God they believe in.

Groups of people are more likely to do bad, and do it better than lone individuals. Call it what you want, mob mentality, peer pressure, herd instinct, but lots of people that thought they were good, and were thought to be good by others have participated in bad group behaviors.

I believe that some people are inherently good, and some people are inherently bad.

Group behaviors can also influence people to be good. In a peaceful society where bad behaviors are frowned upon, people do better.
When the grocery store shelves are bare for a week, then you will find out who is good and who is bad. Be prepared to watch people change in situations like that. Some rise to the occasion to heroic levels, some sink to lows even they haven't imagined yet.

Be careful about who you let in your foxhole.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31   #129
muscogee

Quote:

As Hamlet said, "nothing either good or
bad, but thinking makes it so".

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20   #130
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Groups of people are more likely to do bad, and do it better than lone individuals. Call it what you want, mob mentality, peer pressure, herd instinct, but lots of people that thought they were good, and were thought to be good by others have participated in bad group behaviors.
After the deeds have been done, there can be repentance. That is part of the goodness of humanity. We can think about our behavior and repent.

Some will and some won't, but I would venture to say that most would feel guilt. Not everyone knows how to deal with guilt. It is a strictly human attribute as best I can tell.

Quote:
I believe that some people are inherently good, and some people are inherently bad.
Maybe so...........I believe there is inherent good in all humanity. Environment, upbringing, circumstance, have a great deal on what direction one will take.

Repentance is always there...............not all will participate.

Quote:
Group behaviors can also influence people to be good. In a peaceful society where bad behaviors are frowned upon, people do better.
When the grocery store shelves are bare for a week, then you will find out who is good and who is bad. Be prepared to watch people change in situations like that. Some rise to the occasion to heroic levels, some sink to lows even they haven't imagined yet.

Be careful about who you let in your foxhole.
Yup.

We have been sheltered in this country. We have quite an infrastructure that caters to our needs. Take it away, and that is another thread.