GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 17:11   #1
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Is libertarianism a genetic mutation?

Quote:
Maybe this is more evidence in favor of a premise I've long suspected is true: libertarianism is actually a genetic mutation.

L: It certainly feels that way. Frequently.

Doug: It does, doesn't it? Even when people recognize and intellectually understand the philosophy of personal freedom and responsibility, most just can't integrate it into themselves emotionally. And others simply refuse to grasp it intellectually. I'm afraid libertarianism is fated to appeal to only a small minority.
http://lewrockwell.com/casey/casey142.html
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:39   #2
token5gtd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 200
Who doesn't want to be free?

Genetic mutation is very laughable though.

Last edited by token5gtd; 12-07-2012 at 17:40..
token5gtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:14   #3
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by token5gtd View Post
Who doesn't want to be free?
Have you spent much time perusing GTPI?
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:14   #4
hogfish
Señor Member
 
hogfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: fl
Posts: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by token5gtd View Post
Who doesn't want to be free?

Genetic mutation is very laughable though.
Submissiveness is very common.
__________________
Opinions are like noses...everybody's got one.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:57   #5
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,970
Blog Entries: 1


There is a difference between a liberal and a libertarian.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:06   #6
Chronos
Senior Member
 
Chronos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,988
I doubt it's genetic, but I suspect that it (or rather the lack of it) does have some very real roots in brain function and formation that are established at a young age. There was almost certainly a similar phenomenon back when slavery was taken for granted as a "righteous institution." You just need to expose a child to violence early and often, and get them to identify with the attacker rather than the victim, and boom -- you've made a little authoritarian who has a custom-built sociopathy towards whatever class of innocent people he saw abused. Today, this is what the state does in 12 years of "public education" -- extol violent state intervention in nearly all circumstances, and denigrate innocent people who don't want to be a part of it.

It may be that only a tiny fraction of people have what it takes to break out of that kind of conditioning, though.
__________________
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?

Last edited by Chronos; 12-07-2012 at 19:14..
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:13   #7
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Y linked dominant, or recessive?

The way the country is going, I'm thinking recessive makes more sense.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:28   #8
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed
 
barbedwiresmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "Our side of the barbed wire"
Posts: 9,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
... this is what the state does in 12 years of "public education" -- extol violent state intervention in nearly all circumstances, and denigrate innocent people who don't want to be a part of it.
As usual, Chronos nails it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 20:05   #9
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I doubt it's genetic, but I suspect that it (or rather the lack of it) does have some very real roots in brain function and formation that are established at a young age. There was almost certainly a similar phenomenon back when slavery was taken for granted as a "righteous institution." You just need to expose a child to violence early and often, and get them to identify with the attacker rather than the victim, and boom -- you've made a little authoritarian who has a custom-built sociopathy towards whatever class of innocent people he saw abused. Today, this is what the state does in 12 years of "public education" -- extol violent state intervention in nearly all circumstances, and denigrate innocent people who don't want to be a part of it.

It may be that only a tiny fraction of people have what it takes to break out of that kind of conditioning, though.
I think there is a further step that you stopped short of.

It even seems horrifying to some "libertarians" but, at one time, in this Country a male child was taught to stand up for himself if he was picked on. He didn't "run and tell the teacher" he generally got in a fight. (oh the horror). Once you teach a child to be dependent on authority figures...well you see where it goes. They no longer make their own decisions, they become used to abiding by what the authority figure says and they are more willing to follow orders "handed down".
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 20:14   #10
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,970
Blog Entries: 1


We home school ta avoid the mandated indoctrination.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58   #11
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed
 
barbedwiresmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "Our side of the barbed wire"
Posts: 9,846
Bravo K'08!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52   #12
JBnTX
Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,568
In theory libertarianism sounds great, but in reality it's impossible to practice simply because we must have laws if we are to remain a civilized society.

Libertarianism has been hijacked by two different groups that have their own selfish motives.

One is the anarchist who feels he should be allowed to live his life as he sees fit. It's his life and what he does with it is nobody's business.

The other is the pothead whose only motivation in life is legal pot. He'll support any politician who promises to legalize marijuana.

Without the support of these two groups, libertarians would have become extinct long ago.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00   #13
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Political Issues


There are a lot of good ideas in libertarianism. Most of them in fact. The problem is that absolute liberty is anarchy, and a system of might is right.

I'm no where near an anarchist, but we could definitely take many large leaps toward libertarianism and things would be better.


It requires a balance.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53   #14
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by token5gtd View Post
Who doesn't want to be free?

Genetic mutation is very laughable though.
Most people don't want other people to be free.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...

Last edited by Syclone538; 12-08-2012 at 10:54..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02   #15
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
...
One is the anarchist who feels he should be allowed to live his life as he sees fit. It's his life and what he does with it is nobody's business.
...
What's the problem with that? The initiation of for is wrong. You should be allowed to live your life as you want as long as you don't harm someone else.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52   #16
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,970
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
Bravo K'08!
Wanna see something funny,my kid competes against public school kids.Their parents walk away quite angry.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11   #17
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,821
I'm in.
__________________
inalienable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48   #18
JBnTX
Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post

What's the problem with that? The initiation of for is wrong. You should be allowed to live your life as you want as long as you don't harm someone else.

That concept is a social myth, spread by people who think only of themselves.

The problem is that no one lives their life in a vacuum, and many times what you do does harm someone else.

Even if you only harm yourself, it affects others indirectly.
Whatever harmed you also has the potential to harm others, who may not wish to be harmed in that manner.

That behavior needs to be regulated to protect others.

Governments and laws are necessary if we want to live in a safe, secure and civilized society.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:55   #19
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
That concept is a social myth, spread by people who think only of themselves.

The problem is that no one lives their life in a vacuum, and many times what you do does harm someone else.

Even if you only harm yourself, it affects others indirectly.
Whatever harmed you also has the potential to harm others, who may not wish to be harmed in that manner.

That behavior needs to be regulated to protect others.

Governments and laws are necessary if we want to live in a safe, secure and civilized society.
Always the consummate statist.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:45   #20
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Always the consummate statist.
Only so long as its other people's choices being restricted. It's all good until you start talking about something he wants to do.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 12-09-2012 at 12:45..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:33.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,253
376 Members
877 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31