Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2012, 21:18   #1
leadslinger13

I got lucky with this one

guys ijust had to post this one. I have had google alerts set for a ruger Buckeye for some time. Recently ran across a 38-40 10mm and had to try to pick it up. I ended trading it for my saiga 12 which i had finally had all the bugs worked out but i think it was worth it. This weapon is perfect. The 38-40 cyclnder had never been in the weapon and the 10 mm only shot a few times. It came with all origianl paper work and yellow box. Safe Queen ..... NOT!!! i can't wait to get it out to the range. Now if i could afford a gp100 converted. LOL!!! can somone say addiction.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...TRSTVZjWG81OE0
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...mUwamVPRnNRTjA
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...3VvcjBiSlRrR3c
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...mh6WlcwWEpZMjg
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...2t3eVBKR2tHV2s
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...Dl2bzBtbGdSams
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...EF6amJTSkdIb00
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7c...GFRRVU2czVZblk
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 22:16   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Very cool. I look forward to the range report! Nice pickup.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 00:27   #3
dm1906
Retired SO

Very nice! I have one, and it's one of my favorites. Lots of potential with that .38-40 (not to mention just plain fun).
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52   #4
alwaysshootin

Congrats! Very nice! I want one, and, it would be one of my favorites. Lots of potential with that .38-40 (not to mention just plain fun).

Of all the retired firearms, none, do I wish would be re-introduced more, than the Ruger Buckeye!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 21:14   #5
bac1023

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45   #6
leadslinger13

took it to the range the other day and really enjoyed shooting it. I still have to take time to get the sights dialed in and the grip is different from my redhawk 45lc. I think the barrel length might be making it a little nose heavy although i don't really feel it but my groups show it. I will have to shoot it from the rest to get accurate picture. all in all great weapon and tons of fun. No real appreciable recoil. now to find some 38-40 loads. this foray into revolvers has me wanting a gp100 to convert to 10 mm but the cost seems prohibitive right now. Plus the glock 20 just seems to cover all aspects of the 10 mm. I mean a fist full of 357 mag loads out of a soft shooting weapon like the glock who could complain. i am really liking the revolver feel. dam just when i thought i was done buying and trading guns!!! LOL!!! Right ......Like thats going to happen.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40   #7
dm1906
Retired SO

If you load your own, .38-40 is no more difficult than other rifle round. Starline has the brass, not too expensive. I use the Lee dies, and they work very well. I highly recommend the Lee FCD to save the brass. The case necks are large and weak, making seating/crimping a critical process (never combine the two in one step, expand generously, and go slow). If you source brass that's other than Starline, check it carefully. If it's original design, the brass is limited to Colt/original level power (the primer pocket will be raised in the web, compared to Starline with a solid base). The Starline brass handles .44 Mag pressure fine (to be fired ONLY in the Ruger or healthy rifle, NEVER in a colt or pre-1930 rifle). I have Starline brass, but I also make them from .44 Mag cases (requires neck reaming).

If you're stuck with retail ammo, Black Hills makes it. Midway usually stocks some, but is out of stock now. Any retail rounds will be near original power, comparable to .44 Special (180 gr. lead, 700-800 FPS) and .44-40. About $35 per 50. New Winchester sells for double that.

PM me if you'd like some help getting your hands on some.
Old 10-09-2012, 15:11   #8
ca survivor

Congrats!
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56   #9
arushus
Biggest Member

Wow, I cant believe Ive never heqrd of this gun! So does it shoot both rounds out of the same chamber, but uses different barrels?
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:18   #10
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Wow, I cant believe Ive never heqrd of this gun! So does it shoot both rounds out of the same chamber, but uses different barrels?
The opposite, actually. Same barrel (frame, etc.), different cylinders. Like the .357/9mm conversions.
Old 10-10-2012, 21:46   #11
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Never seen anything like it. Cool!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 18:46   #12
leadslinger13

range report,

I recently, i have been getting back into revolvers. I can't why i ever left.....well quicker reloads and round capacity. Still the accuracy of these weapons is outstanding.

i recently took my newly acquired Ruger Buckeye 38-40 10mm with a 6 inch barrel to bench test and adjust the sights out to 12 yards. I used my range bag to rest it on.

10 mm 180 grain about 1200 fps.....first shot dead center...no real surpirse....the next 2 shots almost perfectly through the first....each time i turned to my friend with astonishment and my grinn just kept getting bigger. recoil a little stout but nothing to write home about. The next shot i lost my concentration and of course by now i am trying to hard and the shot was off to the left about 1/4 inch and the last 2 shots clovered the hole.

Man if i could only sho0t like that standing off hand or with my semi auto!!!!

I am going to take the redhawk 45 lc 4 inch barrel out next.

More fun then one person should be allowed to have with their pants on!!!!

I want a job where i can shoot all day and never have to pay for the ammo......a man can dream!!!

This perma-grin is hurting my teeth.

Oh yeah so imnpressed ran across anther one so i figured it woud be nice to have a mate. I will post pics of them when it gets along with my new aquired 20 ls.

10 mm addiction!!!!

Last edited by leadslinger13; 12-08-2012 at 18:46..