SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:54   #1
hickok45

Getting a crisp trigger break

Hi,
I know this is discussed a lot, but it's a constant "mission" for me, to obtain Glocks with stock, crisp triggers.

All my Glock 19s (mostly Gen 4s) have great crisp triggers (all stock), except one. It's not bad really, but just not quite as crisp a break as my others or my Glock 23s.

I decided to switch out the entire trigger and connector from one of my really crisp G23s and install it in this particular G19 to see if it worked.

Well, it did not; now the G19 still feels the same as before, and the G23 is very crisp, even with the trigger and connector from the G19.

I have no interest in aftermarket parts because I know that my ideal, crisp trigger generally comes stock in most Glocks these days, especially the Glock Gen 4. Sometimes it's not quite as good, and I cannot figure out what it is that makes this difference. Evidently it's not the trigger bar or connector.
Can anybody shed light on this? Again, not interested in custom parts. I have installed New York springs and changed out connectors in various Glocks. Sometimes that seems to help a bit, but generally that just changes the take-up weight and/or increases the pressure required for the trigger to break. It does not necessarily give it a cleaner, crisp break.

There's something else that determines how clean and crisp the break is on a Glock trigger. Seems odd that sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't, which is why I never buy a Glock without trying out the trigger.

Thanks,
Hickok45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hickok45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:50   #2
usnret

Try a different firing pin. Now there is a difference between a 9mm and a 40S&W firing pin. It's a difference in length. Which means that they are not really interchangeable, but they will work.

Last edited by usnret; 12-15-2014 at 10:51..
usnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 18:53   #3
cciman

As previously suggested, the upper components can affect the trigger feel, specifically the safety plunger and spring, and the striker components.

Put your one of your "crisp" uppers on your "mushy" lower receiver, or put your "mushy" lower on one of your crisp uppers.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples, and only use the 19's.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 22:17   #4
DJ Niner

EDITED to delete incorrect information.

Otherwise, I'm thinking it might be a function of drag within the lower. Perhaps the trigger bar is dragging on the side of the frame near the top of the magazine well (or somewhere else inside the frame), and this additional drag is affecting the feel of the trigger pull.

One more thing inside the slide assembly that may affect the smoothness of the pull/release is the channel liner. If it is internally fouled with firing residue, or is rotated inside the slide tunnel where it is installed, it may be dragging on the firing pin.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 12-16-2014 at 21:03.. Reason: Deleted incorrect info.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:12   #5
usnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
I believe the 9mm and .40 firing pins are the same item, so you could swap them out along with the lower components and see if that gets the same results.

Otherwise, I'm thinking it might be a function of drag within the lower. Perhaps the trigger bar is dragging on the side of the frame near the top of the magazine well (or somewhere else inside the frame), and this additional drag is affecting the feel of the trigger pull.

One more thing inside the slide assembly that may affect the smoothness of the pull/release is the channel liner. If it is internally fouled with firing residue, or is rotated inside the slide tunnel where it is installed, it may be dragging on the firing pin.
The 9mm and 40 S&W are different part numbers. Plus in my last Armorer Re-cert the instructor stated they were of different lengths.

Last edited by usnret; 12-16-2014 at 01:13..
usnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30   #6
pvfd102

I can attest to the same thing. Granted my duty gun has thousands of rounds through it. I shoot my partners 22 Gen 4 and it feels so drastically different that I wonder if its the same manufacturer. I am def interested in the outcome of this.
pvfd102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 18:11   #7
Chuck

If you have an orange half cap for the back of your slide install it on both pistols. Once you install the half cap see where the back of the cruciform hits the firing pin and how much is exposed. Some guns hit the firing pin half way others all the way which gives two different triggers. Check both guns and see if there the same. Caps are cheap if you don't have one. Glock recommends no less than half contact with that firing pin. These two area's are so important and each cruciform is mated to that gun and firing pin. Be careful changing firing pins and not checking the contact of that cruciform. Hope this helped. Oh by the way, I noticed that you had the premature slide lock back on your G42. I had the same thing with my 42 and I have the newer -1 slide lock. I just stoned a very slight angle to match the contour of the rounds which gave me trouble just enough to clear that round, with the round slightly forward. Keep checking it to make sure you still have contact with the mag follower at all times. My gun locked back on the second round with speer gold dots my carry load. No more issues at all and gun runs flawless now. The G42 is an awesome pistol.

Last edited by Chuck; 12-16-2014 at 18:24..
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 21:02   #8
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnret View Post
The 9mm and 40 S&W are different part numbers. Plus in my last Armorer Re-cert the instructor stated they were of different lengths.
I stand corrected, my apologies for providing incorrect info.

Would you be kind enough to provide me those two numbers so I could update my older manual? If you'd rather not, that's not a problem at all, I don't want to ask for anything that might make someone uncomfortable. You could also PM them vs. posting here, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 12-16-2014 at 21:07..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 00:21   #9
Lumber Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
As previously suggested, the upper components can affect the trigger feel, specifically the safety plunger and spring, and the striker components.

Put your one of your "crisp" uppers on your "mushy" lower receiver, or put your "mushy" lower on one of your crisp uppers.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples, and only use the 19's.
That's a good suggestion and easy to test. See if the problem follows the slide or the receiver.
Lumber Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:21   #10
Frank61

I generally like the triggers on the Glocks that I've owned but the reset wasn't as nice as I wanted it to be. My solution for what I think is the perfect trigger for me is a 3.5# connector with a NY1 8# trigger spring with a single coil cut off of the inner spring. That gives me around a 6# trigger pull and an awesome reset that'll almost push your finger forward it's so positive. As always, JMHO, YMMV.