Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39   #1
CBennett

Recomend me a Tablet $200 or LESS

Well here is the story As you know Boarders Bookstore is shutting down nation wide..that was our main bookstore for our area. I like to read but do so slowly just a chapter or 2 before bed so it can take me months to read a full book. So I was thinking in the near future the only way for me to get a book would be the internet OR library where id have to renew it like 5 times before I would be finished reading it lol.

SO I was just gonna break down and grab a Kindle or Nook when I started thinking for around the same price I could grab a lower priced Tablet and download or use a e reader type App. This would also give me a few games to play say on a car trip or while sitting around waiting for kid to finish football practice or what ever and I could also surf the web if im near a wireless connection or check my email and well READ...

I dont think the LCD type screen as opposed to a kindle type screen would be a issue as I seldom read for longer than 1/2 a hour 1 hour tops at a time anyways.

So what would you recommend as a low cost Tablet that would

1. work well as a e reader
2. let me surf the web
3. check email
4. play a few lame games lol

PS Im trying to get a HP Touchpad but cant find one that would seem to do well for all my stuff but again its availability issue. the ones I have researched but cant find enough GOOD info on are the

Coby Kyros 7022
Super pad3 X220
Zenithink epad
Velocity micro T301
Sumixe

My wife has the Nook Color that we like but I really dont want to spend $250+ on one just $200 preferably a bit less.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 20:02   #2
Ogreon
unlisted

Find some loser running around with an iPad. Snatch it. Run like the wind.

I wouldn't trust the ultra-cheap tablets.
Ogreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 20:33   #3
thejellster05

Send a message via Yahoo to thejellster05
Get a nook color refurb they are like 150. I rooted mine and love it.
thejellster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 22:50   #4
Linux3

Convert English Pounds to Dollars and go.
http://www.reghardware.com/2011/08/2...droid_tablets/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07   #5
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogreon View Post

I know they are nice but to just web surf, do e reader stuff and check emails and that sort of stuff I dont know as I need a $400+ tablet..if this was something id use every day for business stuff id not even worry about it and just get the Apple I pad 1 or 2...but to me in car parlay its like a guy saying I want to use my 1971 Dodge Dart as a cruiser/driver and then say what should i do to my 318 to get it running for such(cheap tablet for ereader,web surfing,email)...and then having someone say you have to throw out the 318 and put in a 500 HP 440 for cruising lol... You guys know a LOT more about this stuff than me but for what im looking to do do I really need to go pricey?

And I dont mind the nook Color my wife seems to like hers BUT the one thing i can say about them is the updates seem to SUCK at least as far as getting them installed and working right...last time it got a update(in the spring I believe) it literally took my wife almost 2 hours on the phone to try to get it working after the update as it screwed something up ....im a bit wary about that now...I like the platform but I just dont know about the service and support on it...and I tried to do a little of my own research and those ones listed at least had decent reviews and the Coby had real good reviews being a cap touch screen instead of resistive. And with the rooting im NOT super technical with that stuff.....I TRY real hard but im not real proficient doing stuff like that. Im afraid id butcher it some how and then have a broken thing that does not work at all.

I had to totally reinstall a game one time because a friend that got his working to use a new map pack did the old....hey put in these few lines of code and you can use this new map pack....I tried step by step doing it on the ventrillo with him telling me what to do...totally butchered it messed it up so bad game would no longer run...had tot totally uninstall the game and reinstall and then download everything again..2 hours later it was running but without the map pack...if its easier than that I would be ok if not lol..id butcher it lol.

Last edited by CBennett; 08-29-2011 at 10:12..
Old 08-29-2011, 12:00   #6
pilsbury

I had a cheaper Android platform tab, but there are so many apps that won't work cross platform, I got rid of it. I found a perfect iPad 1, 16 gig on craigslist for $300. Pretty sweet.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:10   #7
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-GOOGLE-AND...item2c5df8075f

7'' GOOGLE ANDROID 2.2 TABLET PC Via 8650 256MB/2GB
Price: US $89.00

free shipping. I've got one coming in. I figure for surfing and minor email stuff it'll be worth it as a toy if nothing else.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 13:07   #8
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsbury View Post
I had a cheaper Android platform tab, but there are so many apps that won't work cross platform, I got rid of it. I found a perfect iPad 1, 16 gig on craigslist for $300. Pretty sweet.
too much $$$ even if it was brand new.
Old 08-29-2011, 19:14   #9
CBennett

Oh and BTW how hard is it to root the nook color I forgot to ask earlier...and im talking about someone that knows little about computers(me) doing it not a person that has a clue And what would rooting it give me over what it is already..in other words why root it and what is rooting it....

Last edited by CBennett; 08-29-2011 at 19:14..
Old 08-30-2011, 02:50   #10
Ogreon
unlisted

Since money is an issue and theft is out. How about a netbook? A bit bigger than a tablet but they've been around longer and can be gotten for less than $300.

Rooting the Nook turns it into an android tablet. There's a big thread in General Non-Glocking about how to do it and the advantages.
Ogreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 15:24   #11
CBennett

Quote:
Since money is an issue and theft is out. How about a netbook? A bit bigger than a tablet but they've been around longer and can be gotten for less than $300.

Rooting the Nook turns it into an android tablet. There's a big thread in General Non-Glocking about how to do it and the advantages.
Netbook is a bit big for what I wanted in something about the size of a nook color/HP Touchpad or I pad. Something easily portable to take places..I will probably just get a Refurb Nook Color, that Coby Kyros 7022 or something like a Archos 70 or what not after doing more research.
Old 12-05-2012, 13:51   #12
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I picked up a Coby 7036 yesterday for $85. Works good, for what it is. I'll get another one later.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 13:56   #13
Jeremy_K

tagged
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:10   #14
robrides85

Google Nexus 7

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406552,00.asp

https://play.google.com/store/device...VzXzdfMTZnYiJd

I've had mine since August. Really enjoy it. You get really good bang for your buck with this tablet - you pay $200 (or less on Craigslist), and it cost them $170 to build it (without taking into account licensing fees - purely parts and manufacturing cost).

For your specifics:

1. work well as a e reader
I've read a dozen books on it since buying it, girlfriend has read ~4-5.

2. let me surf the web
Yup - I like the Chrome browser, but other browsers are available too.

3. check email
No problem - via browser or email apps.

4. play a few lame games lol
I'm getting over that, but have played a few strategy games, puzzle games, top down shooters, first-person shooters on the N7.

Anyway, good device - recommended.

Last edited by robrides85; 12-05-2012 at 15:10..
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 15:13   #15
robrides85

Quote:

Nevermind - just saw that this thread is a year old. I wouldn't have bought an Android tablet back then anyway. Carry on.

Nexus 7 Editor's choice: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406552,00.asp

The iPad Mini is just as "ultra-cheap", they're just marking it up.

Cost to build: $190. Sale price: $329

Nexus 7 cost to build: $170. Sale price: $200.

http://allthingsd.com/20121103/teard...-188-to-build/

Last edited by robrides85; 12-05-2012 at 15:17..
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03   #16
mikesull415

For $200 get the nexus 7. I was going to get my wife one for Christmas but went with an iPad mini instead solely because we're already in pretty deep with apple. 2 iPhones, Apple TV (best $99 you'll ever spend btw, if you have an iPad or iPhone), iPad. Had I gotten the nexus any apps she'd want would have to be repurchased.
mikesull415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06   #17
engineer151515

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejellster05 View Post
Get a nook color refurb they are like 150. I rooted mine and love it.
Yuuuppp.

Daughter took mine and kept it.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09   #18
JoeInKS

Right at $199. Google Nexus 7

I put a review of it in the GNG Lounge forum.

Absolutely terrific value and runs the most current OS. Asus makes it for Google and you will probably have the tablet that will most likely receive updates the most consistently.

Well worth the money
JoeInKS is offline   Reply With Quote