Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 23:02   #1
leadslinger13

shooting from an incline

went to the range today. set the target at about 30 feet. the shooting platform is elevated about four feet higher than target base. I was shooting high. It took me a while to realize that i had to put point of aim lower to compensate for grade. good lesson.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:23   #2
dm1906
Retired SO

It's a psychological error. The bullet doesn't know the difference at that range. By the time it makes a difference, the target is beyond what you can see with the naked eye. The weapon, caliber, and/or load makes no difference. 30' is essentially point of aim, with nearly any platform. If you're shooting a Daisy Red Ryder, you may notice a departure from POA, but 4' elevation won't change the POA to target. If you compensate for grade, you'll miss your long-range targets, by a lot. It is essentially insignificant until you cross 45°.

Old hunter's rule: Don't compensate for elevation, unless you're shooting flies on the ceiling.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38   #3
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1906 View Post
It's a psychological error....

Old hunter's rule: Don't compensate for elevation, unless you're shooting flies on the ceiling.
Exactly right.....

...unless you're shooting up a 40-45 degree slope 375 yards away, then you should probably know your trig.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 21:02   #4
Mountain10mm

horizontal distance

The trick on angled shots is to use the horizontal distance to the target - this is true whether it's an uphill or downhill shot. So if the target was 30' away from the muzzle horizontally (bottom leg of a triangle), your point of aim is that for a 30' shot. If the target was 30' away line of sight (hypotenuse) you would need to hold as if the target was 29.73' away from the muzzle horizontally. (That's based on a hypothenuse of 30' and the vertical leg 4' for an angle of 7.66 degrees.) So basically the answer is what previous posters state, it doesn't matter in this case - we are talking about a range distance of 3 inches. Even with a BB gun, it wouldn't matter.

All that being said, I, and even world ranked shooters have screwed up angled shots because the sights on the target look slightly different at an angle.
Mountain10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07   #5
Batesmotel

I did some OJT with our snipers when I was in the Marines. The magic numbers were 30 degrees and 300 meters. Anything less than that had little effect. The Army and Marine sniper schools are now teaching the effects at much shorter distances but the angles are in the 60 to 80 degree range due to high angle shots from buildings in urban environments.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26   #6
leadslinger13

all i can say it that when i leveled my sights on the bullseye 6 oclock hold the bullets were about 3 to 4 inches high. when i adjusted my front sight leveled about 4 inches lower i was hitting the bull. optical or brain fart. i will have to go out and try it again.
thanks for the input guys.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote