Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:45   #1
Kentguy

45 ACP small pistol primer delima...

To load... or not to load... that is the question.

I have now quite a collection of 45 small pistol primer brass sitting in a 5 gal bucket next to my reloading bench I would like to do something with them so why not reload. The only problem is - I'm not sure just what load data to apply to this brass? I have some ideas but I'm just not sure.

I went back and looked at other threads on this subject but didn't see any load data offered perhaps I may have missed something. I presently have emails out to various powder manufacturers to see what they would offer but no one has replied just yet.

Have any of you reloaded the small pistol primer 45's? If so what load data (source) did you use?

Just looking for your advice before I do anything with these little jewels.

Last edited by Kentguy; 07-12-2012 at 05:47..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57   #2
unclebob

No difference other than the size of the primer.
If you are loading max you may want to back off 10% and work back up. Same as you would do if you are changing any components.
GSSF Life Member

Last edited by unclebob; 07-12-2012 at 06:01..
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:27   #3
Murphy's Law

Ditto
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54   #4
DoctaGlockta

I load my 230g LRN's with the same amount of unique for LP or SP.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08   #5
XDRoX

There are two types of SPP 45. Large flash hole and small flash hole. If you have large flash hole SPP 45 you can use LPP data and expect the same results. If you have small flash hole SPP 45 you can expect a 50 fps drop in velocity.

I did some tests a while back and posted them somewhere around here.

Last edited by XDRoX; 07-12-2012 at 08:09..
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36   #6
fredj338

Yeah, PITA, liberal plot to frustrate reloaders. Yes the same data can be used but there is a slight drop in vel, I find about 25-30fps w/ identical loads, depending on powder used.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42   #7
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Yeah, PITA, liberal plot to frustrate reloaders. Yes the same data can be used but there is a slight drop in vel, I find about 25-30fps w/ identical loads, depending on powder used.
I have found what Fred has scientifically verified - my SP loads are far gentler than the LP loads.

Not sure about his Liberal plot theory though.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:19   #8
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Smash those suckers with a sledge and get 'em off the planet.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28   #9
SJ 40

Your five gallon pail is like my 21/2 gallon pail,I throw all my less than desirable brass in it and once a year it gets taken and Sold for Scrap. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38   #10
Colorado4Wheel

Shoot it at a lost brass match or some other place that you don't want or can't pick up your brass. The idea of tossing it is silly. It's perfectly good brass and perfect for some occasion in the future.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54   #11
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
Smash those suckers with a sledge and get 'em off the planet.
I send mine to a landfill to rot in peace.

Richard
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57   #12
Colorado4Wheel

My friend just got a $600 PAYDAY turning in his scrap brass. You guys are nuts throwing stuff away.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35   #13
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

I haven't loaded any yet but have been thinking that SP .45 ACP brass should be kept and loaded for Lost Brass matches or Training events.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:52   #14
Kentguy

thanks guys,

So same load data as LPP... at least I don't have to buy a "new load manual" or something, If that was the case - I heard scrap brass prices are going up.

Just a thought here, if using SPP causes a slight decrease in velocity, (25-30 fps or as much as 50 fps) depending on the powder used. Could I then bump up the powder charge slightly and acheve the same velocity as LPP load? although were not talking tons of perssure here, would I have to adjust the OAL to compensate for different pressure?

I know I will have to do my own testing here and run them through my Chrono to see where I'm at but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Anyway any additional thoughs would be great.

Thanks again.

Alan
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18   #15
Citroen

Works great

I do not use the priming station of my Dillon RL 450 (yes, both of us are old) but instead use a Lee Auto Prime. I keep one set up for large pistol primers and another set up for small pistol primers. Both have the .45 ACP shellplate installed.

I make no other change and everything works fine.

I sometimes pick up some "left" brass at our indoor range and have noticed and increase in the number of shooters who leave what is obviously once fired brass with the small primer.

I am glad to pick it up!
John
Charlotte, NC
Citroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18   #16
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Shoot it at a lost brass match or some other place that you don't want or can't pick up your brass. The idea of tossing it is silly. It's perfectly good brass and perfect for some occasion in the future.
On the one hand, I agree with you. On the other hand, it's best to keep quiet - we'll let you know when we want your opinion on manly cartridges.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:20   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
thanks guys,

So same load data as LPP... at least I don't have to buy a "new load manual" or something, If that was the case - I heard scrap brass prices are going up.

Just a thought here, if using SPP causes a slight decrease in velocity, (25-30 fps or as much as 50 fps) depending on the powder used. Could I then bump up the powder charge slightly and acheve the same velocity as LPP load? although were not talking tons of perssure here, would I have to adjust the OAL to compensate for different pressure?

I know I will have to do my own testing here and run them through my Chrono to see where I'm at but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Anyway any additional thoughs would be great.

Thanks again.

Alan
If you are trying to reach the same vel as a LP load, then shortening the OAL 0.05" or adding 1/10gr more powder will likely get you back the 30fps+/- lost.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:28   #18
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
manly cartridges.
GSSF Life Member
Old 07-12-2012, 14:01   #19
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
I haven't loaded any yet but have been thinking that SP .45 ACP brass should be kept and loaded for Lost Brass matches or Training events.
The problem is changing the press from LP to SP. On the XL650, it is pretty easy. On the 1050, where I actually load .45 ACP, I'm not so sure. I not only have to change the primer mechanism, I have to do something about the case swaging station.

The real problem occurs when an SP case winds up in the case feeder and eventually finds its way to the primer station. On the 550, the primer might jam in the case and prevent the case from being withdrawn or the shellplate rotated. The only alternative is to decap it again - which double charges station 2. Then an alternate case can be inserted at station 1 and the sizing/priming repeated - which triple charges station 3. So, I need to remember what is happening at station 2 and I will remove the case before I resolve the problem at station 1. After I eventually get a primed case at station 1, I can reinsert the charged case at station 2 before rotating the shellplate. Sure, it all works out.

On the 650, the case with the dangling primer can be removed. No problem. On the 1050 the case will get jammed up at the swaging station. Slight problem.

These cases are dangerous. Seriously dangerous.

Richard
Old 07-12-2012, 15:49   #20
WeeWilly

I sort my cases after tumbling. SPP cases go in their own bucket. When I have enough and I am switching from say 9mm (so the small primer setup is on the press), I will load up some batches of SPP cases. I use the exact same load spec for the SPP cases as I do the LPP cases. They seem to work fine.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote