GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:06   #1
awpk03s

Dynacomp or Vortex (comp vs flash hider)?

Who has and can share experience on these muzzle devices?

Looking for some discussion for my upcoming build.

Rifle is a 16" bbl with carbine gas system. Intended use is a go-to home defense weapon, and target/range (all private) work. So, it's gonna shoot more rounds into railroad ties and dirt piles than it is in defensive/civil unrest applications.

I have a Vortex on another rifle, and like it fine.

I like reducing flash, but at the same time, I am not overly concerned about my flash giving away position for that time that may never come.

While AR's do not have much recoil to begin with, I like the concept of reducing what's there, and reducing muzzle rise for fast follow up shots. I think this package buys me more real world benefit than hiding flash.

However, I am concerned about the noise/concussion of a comp. in a target setting, I don't care because I wear protection. In that defensive situation though, probably not. And what about if in a confined space, etc? Will I or others go deaf?

Please discuss. Again, products I am considering are SEI Vortex, and Spike's Tactical Dynacomp Extreme.

Thanks.
awpk03s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53   #2
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

I would not want to shoot a comp'd rifle indoors. Good comps do their job but the tradeoff is noise. That is a tradeoff I prefer not to make. The only comps I have act as sacrificial blast baffles on suppressed SBRs.

Of those, the vortex is what I would get, and for the love of God, don't buy an upper with a pinned muzzle device.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02   #3
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

For me, comps and brakes are only for rifles that can be readily suppressed, competition rifles, or hunting rifles. For anything else, it gets a flash suppressor.

I have a few guns that have brakes on them from the factory, but my home defense rifles all have flash suppressors.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 13:31   #4
ColdBlooded

Flash hiders also do the job of minimizing the amount of flash seen from the point of view of the shooter in low/no light, IE not losing track of the target.

In regards to .223/5.56 I would only run a brake on dedicated suppressed rifles to slow baffle erosion, and prolong the effectiveness of the suppressor.

Flash hiders like the Smith Vortex and the AAC Blackout Flash Hider is ideal for most situations, with regards to .223/5.56. No concussive blast, while minimizing flash from the shooters perspective, a reducing the weapons signature.

A comp, in my opinion, is for those who want something specific that the other two may not offer. There are are multitude of designs that put certain characteristics ahead of others (flash suppression vs compensation) and you can achieve very different results.

Some options:

An A2 is more of a flash hider than compensator, but it does have a few features that give it an edge over a true flash hider like the A1. A FSC556 is more of a brake, which is why it can get into ban states, as it is not a "Flash Suppression Device". The Battlecomp is the closest to 50/50 in its abilities than the majority of comps out there. The Spike's Dynacomp does not consider itself a flash hider in the least. The main reason people consider it a comp, is it take a bit of the boom out of the blast as compared to a MB556k or AAC Brake/Brakeout.
Old 12-11-2012, 15:13   #5
PVolk

I just built a new upper last week using a Spikes Dynacomp and shot it indoors for the first time yesterday. It wasn't bad at all. My buddy and I took turns on mine and on his AR that runs a regular A2 flash hider. There were obvious differences in flash to an observer, but none that the shooter would notice.

Sound was focused differently though. The A2 equipped rifle sent the concussion wave out to the side quite heavily. I stood behind him when he shot, rather than the stall next to him. But with my Dynacomp equipped rifle, the concussion wave went back pretily heavily and less to the side.

This was noticed only while observing, and not while shooting.
PVolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 15:21   #6
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

None of them are too bad with earpro. That isn't always an option for some. If you plan to do 100% of your shooting with earmuffs, comp it up.
Old 12-11-2012, 15:43   #7
Shooter64

I've shot the dynacomp and noticed an increase in group size.
I've owned and/shot the following :
Battlecomp: blasty, expensive and works.
Rainier arms xtc: blasty, flashy, works a little better than the battlecomp.
Spikes dynacomp: blasty, flashy, poor accuracy, works about the same as the battle comp.
Pws fsc556 and fsc30: blasty, a little flashy, as effective as the xtc.
Rock river arms tactical brake: very blasty, very flashy, as effective as the xtc and fsc556.
Miculek comp: blasty, flashy, and very effective as a brake.
AAC non-mount brake: blasty, flashy, as effective as the battlecomp.
A2 flash hider: no blast, no flash, little muzzle rise and aft movement.
Right now I'm running a PWS Triad. It works very well as a flash hider and the longer vent on the top does help keep the muzzle down when shooting.

Sent from TapTalk 2

Last edited by Shooter64; 12-11-2012 at 15:44..
Shooter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 19:34   #8
Cole125
Silver Membership

Any reason you are not considering a Battlecomp? Best of both worlds, reduces flash, and works great as a comp. Best $150 I ever spent on my rifle, put your red dot on target, pull the trigger, bang, red dot will be right where it was.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:52   #9
Shooter64

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but do not think the battle comp is worth $150. The glowing red/yellow ball in the bottom third if my aimpoint durring a night class was enough for me to look for other alternatives. After trying the pws triad, i sold the battlecomp. The triad kept the muzzle down as well as the battlecomp, without the blast and muzzle flash.

Sent from TapTalk 2