Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 21:09   #21
boomhower

You guys wait for an ambulance for a shot officer? Our standard procedure here is toss his ass in a car and go at warp speed. We'd be at the ER before EMS even got halfway there.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:41   #22
collim1
Shower Time!

10-48 is our call for officer needs backup ASAP. 00, pronounced double zero, is the code dispatch gives out county wide for officer down, or officer needs all possible assistance.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:50   #23
cwr

I've had it called on my behalf with two of my shootings and for one really long fight my partner and I were involved in. When I finally got the bad guy hooked up, I got on the air with one in custody and need rescue two times once for me and once for my arrestee (screwed up my hand while breaking his face). This is when I learned to keep my motor helmet on when going into calls because I could have just headbutted him and made quick work of it.

I've been working a few times when it was called for other officers. Amazing things what a Crown Vic will actually do when pushed hard.

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
cwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 22:04   #24
indigent
Bamboozled

We don't have a certain code to bring the cavalry.... Our dispatchers (most of them) check our status every 2 minutes and a response of "Code 4 for now" will usually get someone to head your way, a "step it up" will get them there quick.....

One thing I can't grasp is our dispatcher will check your status and if you don't answer after 2 calls, they will call the officer's phone..... If I'm going 10 rounds with John Q. Schmuckatelli I sure as hell can't answer my damn phone.....

Our radio system isn't set up to accept emergency buttons on radios, the button is there, but in my case it turns the light on my radio screen on........
Old 12-11-2012, 22:06   #25
mntrpr

If I go 10-33 which is hold the air for emergency traffic, usually it is for pursuits, or I'm fighting with someone.

10-88= officer needs help. I've heard it once, when I used it.
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:11   #26
golls17
Lifetime Newbie

I accidentally bumped it on a squad radio once. Reset it in time to hear "[neighboring jurisdiction] dispatch to [my old department], distress signal from squad XXXX." I got on the radio right away said I'm OK, just bumped it.
Remember every day that you don't train or workout, a bad guy does.
Formerly gollbladder13
golls17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:17   #27
BlackPaladin

10-88, I have never said it, but everyone knew it was happening once with me and responded accordingly.
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37   #28
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

signal 87 is bad, signal 88 is hammer of thor bad. that was "up there".

here there is 00 (double zero). not good hearing any of it but....

lets just say there was this female trooper calling out signal 88 and you could hear gun shots during the radio transmission. when you get there you see the female trooper being chased around her cruiser by a truck driver.

truck driver was dealt with without much fuss by the guys and when asked what happened the story goes.....

he had a warrant for his arrest and said he wasnt letting no ***** cop arrest him....the gunshots were the female trooper emptying her gun into the air so if he caught her "he wouldnt be able to use it against me".

the eyes rolled in light of trying to be politically correct.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 12-12-2012 at 01:38..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04   #29
Pepper45

Heard it once. Two reserves went to arrest someone at a mini-festival that didn't want to be arrested. They managed to piss off a somewhat friendly crowd, and when that crowd of about a thousand turned on them, stuff got real. I estimate about a hundred cars from a couple dozen different agencies showed up, and people GTFO of there quite quickly.

The worst I've called myself, is for "Code 3 cover, we're fighting".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24   #30
COLOSHOOTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
Cochese, how was it toned out the night of the shooting? That was a true SHTF call.
I don't know how he got it but we got the first help calls being the closest city to cover. Those calls were toned out for shots fires possible active shooter. The next few were toned and pretty much "give us everyone" calls switch to the network channel.

I don't know if I'm just working in the wild west but I've been in some drop down drag outs and hear alert tones officers requesting emergency cover on a pretty regular basis. I've had to call in the troops while fighting a guy grabbing for my gun and BG's with weapons. I've also been there when cops have been shot at or have shot someone.

I'll tell you all those other calls are nothing compared to what I had to deal with earlier this year... I know we all know it can happen but you don't really expect to hear, "Officer Down" come out over the radio followed by we have an Officer shot. The response to that incident was amazing though. Within minutes there were cops from all over the city there. I have mad respect for the EMS / Fire crews who arrived on scene to try to save her. They took it as hard as all of us and were not giving up. The citizen response was also amazing. A former army medic rushed to help and gave it his all as well.

-George Orwell-
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46   #31
igor

qwhewn i was with baltimore city in early 74 i called one only to have foxtrot respond. the helicopter started to settle on the crowd with the observer yelling into the pa system the lower he got the louder it became. the bad guys scattered in the rotorwash. the troops arrived and i sent smiling jack , the pilot , and obie the tfo a bottle of the good stuff. later when in aa county i responded to a signal 13 only to do the same thing this time well i was the pilot and nick was the officer . hey i figured if it worked once why not again. got to remember all us vietnam pilots, me and smiling jack were a little touched, however we could fly
over my 40 years i have been involved in many signal 13 s we always won which was a good thing
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50   #32
merlynusn

We have 10-18 (Urgent) and 10-33 (Emergency) here. It's actually a statewide code. Honestly, I don't think our 10-18 is used enough for the most part. People will usually say "I'm fighting one" or something along those lines, which gets people there quickly. I responded to two 10-33s when I was in patrol.

What I saw with both of the 10-33s was pretty much the entire city coming out since they were more than just a normal OIS. A "normal" OIS will usually get all the cars from a couple of districts as opposed to the whole city. It's also dependent how big a perimeter is needed etc.

The problem with our emergency button is that it goes to the first open channel, not necessarily the one you're on. So you can hit your e-button and it goes to another district's radio channel who has no idea who you are or where you are. If you stay on your channel and say something like "fighting" "help" etc, you'll get help a lot faster as it'll go through your dispatcher and the units in your own district.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53   #33
Aux Bear

Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
Guess I'm spoiled. Even us Auxies have assigned radios with Emer Button on the radio and on top of the remote mic. Press either and let go. You get 15 seconds of priority airtime, clobbering any other ongoing radio traffic. Dispatch gets our GPS 20 and star number on their display. Emer traffic is sent out on whatever primary channel we are set to at that time. Guess I should get a real warm fuzzy about our system after reading the above. Never used it myself however have responded to two 10-33s. Never the 1st backup to arrive, just more of the calvary to clean up. As a result, I recieved many TYs from officers knowing that even us PT Aux guys will give it our all.
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28   #34
CAcop

We don't use codes for that. We just use plain English. Most of the time we just ask for code 3 cover. If it is really bad we just start listing the agencies we want to show up. If State Parks gets listed you know it is bad. Not that the Rangers suck it's just that there are only an handfull of them on duty and they are scattered all over the place and in some deep dark woods.

If it is "somebody got shot and more might get shot" bad everydoby shows up without having to ask. If it bogs down into a long term perimeter thing then it becomes a matter of asking formally for mutual aid.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41   #35
Ohio Copper

I've heard some bad ones while working. Never forget it.

The roughest was working all night one night crawling into bed at 8am only to get a phone call from dispatch telling me to get my clothes on and report to such an such immediately.

No idea what was going on. Ended up being a shoot out and the suspect ran. He was caught.

Long days usually follow.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29   #36
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
Cochese, how was it toned out the night of the shooting? That was a true SHTF call.
For us, it was a slow night. My dispatch was listening to it unfold and sent me a text to start scanning Aurora and that there was an active shooter.

I started listening on my phone while I was in the middle of repairing my patrol car in the PD parking lot (my CVPI battery crapped out a few minutes earlier so I was swapping it out rather than downing the car)

Then, APD dispatch put out an all call. Our dispatch got on and advised our SGT that Aurora wanted all available cars NOW. (They had texted her as well so she was in the loop)

She got on and said send cars blah blah and blah which included two "corporals" and myself and one of them had a trainee.

The four of us went down in three cars fast. I made the 28 mile/30 minute drive (per google maps) in 18 minutes with a Trooper leading the way. We drove through construction on 270 to get around traffic and sent rooster tails of cones all over the place (no crews out yet just cone placements) in the triple digits.

I had APD primary going on my phone, Our mutual aid channel on my car radio and my PD primary on my portable.

I heard a Lieutenant at Aurora say something along the lines of send me every cop in the metro area now.

I heard the Aurora all call on MetroNet which was essentially:

This is Aurora to all metro area agencies we need assistance at Century Theaters with an active shooter.

Their dispatchers are top notch badasses.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07   #37
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
That's intense, cheesy.

We have what we call "body alarms" inside the fence; the bright orange "oh S__T" button on top of the radios. We've had two "good ones" since I've been there. One was a CO took a guy down that was running from him with contraband, on the worst part of that housing unit (we call it "crack alley" for a reason), and had all the scumbags coming out to look. The other one was better, and not the result of a CO being stupid. We had a guy get mad at the counselor or case manager that wouldn't put him in seg (middle of the summer, and most housing units don't have A/C; Seg does, so he wanted the A/C), so, well, he decided he was going to make us put him in seg. Got a fire extinguisher off the wall, and went to town on the walls, doors, and ceiling. When we responded, he discharged the extinguisher, filling the hallway with ABC dry chem; it was about as bad as CS gas. Luckily, when we got ready to go get him, he laid down and was ready to cuff up (he got what he wanted; time in seg). It took the rest of the morning to ventilate that building, too. When I first got there, you couldn't see from one end of the hallway to the other.

The bad part about the BAs are people hit them accidentally wayyy more often than they hit them for real, so it's put a sense of complacency in responding to them.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.

Last edited by CJStudent; 12-12-2012 at 12:09..
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24   #38
leadbutt

When I worked the road for the 1st Sheriff it was a simple Code-1, or Sally our dispatcher would just put out that one of us or the Pd's crew was in a fight .

We had a humdinger of a time on the weekendstarteded Friday nights when the farmers would come in to blow off steam and then Saturday night when the ranchers would

God bless them Ole TEXAN'S and LOADED WOODS' fights where great!!!!

A Shot never fired is always a miss
leadbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52   #39
x_out86

Round my parts "10-78" means NEED ASSISTANCE NOW!

I have heard it a few times in my time. Probably the most "memorable" time it was used was when a state trooper was hooking up a drunk by himself about 9 miles out from the closest city when the drunk (who was a amateur body builder) decided he was not going to jail. Trooper was holding his own, but was not going to take this guy into custody without help.

I believe there were squad cars that hit their electronic speed limiters the get to him. I didnt make it to the scene but it was about 5 minutes before the first car got to him and when they got there, the BG was on top of the trooper in the ditch. If I remember correctly, the first strike that was landed on the BG was a very well placed flying knee to the ribs follow by faceplant into the ditch.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Last edited by x_out86; 12-12-2012 at 12:54..
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:22   #40
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_out86 View Post
Round my parts "10-78" means NEED ASSISTANCE NOW!
Same here in the state south of you. I've heard it once recently while on duty, and heard about it used another time I wasn't working. Both involved assaults on officers, police won and BG's lost both times as well.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote