Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 23:38   #41
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Everywhere I've worked, the emergency code is 10-33. Never heard it used but heard plenty of emergencies where radio protocol goes out the window.

Worst one was a jewelry store robbery just occurred that a detective from a neighboring department stumbled onto the offender in his getaway vehicle. You can hear him calling out the pursuit and asking for help with gunfire in the background as the offender is shooting at his squad. He kept begging for help even though he had a caravan of units behind him. After that day, the Sgt. started keeping his AR in his patrol car.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:59   #42
Hoser423

I'm very lucky to never have heard the worst... with us it'll be plain english, and we're small enough to recognize if somebody's voice is cranked up even if they don't actually say how bad things are.

I did have an interesting T-stop when I was a youngster at 1st dept.... I had just called off on a stop, just out of town, middle of night. Ran the D.L., and the response came back to a BIIIIIIGGG guy from a BAAAAAD area with history for assault and resisting etc.

Every year it took a night or two to get used to wearing leather rather than no coat or light jacket. I didn't realize my coat had bumped my emergency button, and then I couldn't hear any air traffic, so I didn't know anything was amiss while I'm talking to the guy. I heard the louder than life roar of Caprice LT1s at mach3 coming over the bridge behind me, with a few guys from the neighboring town bailing out expecting me to be in the fight of my life. Embarrassed, but very glad to see cover when they explained it.

Last edited by Hoser423; 12-13-2012 at 00:00..
Hoser423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54   #43
kayl

Around here 10-78 is Officer Needs Assistance - everyone drops everything and goes until cancelled.
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 22:06   #44
rookie1

As DBBR said we have codes for it, yet never are they used only replaced with something just as effective. I have been involved in two where they needed help.

One was where an officer was sent to a male who indicated to family and friends he was going to kill himself. As officer arrives on scene the suicidal guys friend says that he has a gun. The officer says "I have a male at gunpoint who has a 9mm pistol, I need additional officers please" Everyone came and everyone went home at the end of the night.

Second time was when a couple officers went into an apartment in the bad part of town for a possible domestic, male and female. Two officers arrive. Moments later they ask if they have a 2nd coming. They then ask for another one. I worked in a different area and when we ask for officers besides the standard 2nd to back it might go down hill. I start from my area so in the event I'm closer than on the other side of town. While en route about a minute after asking for a second (third officer), one officer thats there gets on the radio "SEND EVERYONE CODE 3, CODE 3". When you hear something like that it gets you a bit uneasy. The gas pedal couldn't do any further into the floor and no one could get out of my way quick enough. Come to find out the BG was throwing chairs at officers then fought and ran into a bedroom and locked himself in the closet. Somewhere there was a taser deployed into a door and the girlfriend thought we shot him so she freaked out as well. They ended up fighting him for a little while.
Old 12-14-2012, 17:47   #45
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I've got some funny ones. But, nothing I want to put in print on the WWW.
Old 12-15-2012, 15:30   #46
Metro566
Gunfighter

Our code is "Signal Zero", means officer needs assistance and he needs it 2 minutes ago.

Back a couple years when I was a Reserve Deputy I was tooling around outside one of the cities in our county when I heard dispatch send out a call for a "Bar fight, 10 people involved". They had 12 squads go so I figured they were fine.

After the 12th unit got on scene I heard "Signal Zero! Get us everyone!"

Since I was close, me and my partner were the next one scene. I remember as I was rolling up to the bar, I saw about 100 people standing outside the bar fighting back 6 city cops...they were actually preventing them from getting into the bar. I got out and ran up to the melee and was told 6 officers were inside addressing the fight and they got cut off from the rest of the officers.

Before ya knew it we had Troopers, Deputies, and Cops from all over on scene, I'd guess probably 30 of us in all. We started in with the fists and kicks and fought our way in to the bar where the first 6 officers were fighting their way out to us. We were hosing the crowd down with OC, I mean it was raining fire up in there and we all got cross-contaminated of course.

I broke two knuckles in my hand...from a "fall"

The 6 officers that were inside had their uniform torn to hell, bloody noses/lips, and could barely talk. Me and a few other guys grabbed their ****bags and walked the cops over to the ambulances to rest and get checked out.

My favorite part of it as watching this trooper who was built like a brick ****-house run from his squad and do a NFL style shoulder tackle and take out like 9 people in one collision.

Last edited by Metro566; 12-15-2012 at 15:32..
Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 16:26   #47
Bren
NRA Life Member

In most of Kentucky, it's "signal 7" - it is usually written down as meaning "extreme emergency" as opposed to "signal 9" which means "emergency" but, informally, it is recognized to mean that a police officer has an extreme emergency need for assistance. I have never heard it used for anything other than an officer down or being shot at type of call. The larger cities use different codes.
Old 12-16-2012, 13:11   #48
S. Kelly

A transmission of "GET ME A FEW MORE CARS" means just that, kinda in a hurry, "GET ME SOME HELP UP HERE" gets everyone rushing to a scene, but "OT" does not mean overtime, it means everyone drops everything (people get unarrested as well) and goes to the call at light speed. Been to tons of the above.

Last edited by S. Kelly; 12-16-2012 at 13:13..
S. Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 13:37   #49
Happypuppy

In the past towns had a bell in the center of town or in some case a Church bell. If rang people would gather and help. Sounds like the Law Enforcement version. I am only aware of two used 9 and 10. It would be have been nice in my day to have some consistency

We need more involvement from everyone parents as well to support Law Enforcements needs later ( no reductions in dept size)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by Happypuppy; 12-16-2012 at 13:45..
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 14:54   #50
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Same here in the state south of you. I've heard it once recently while on duty, and heard about it used another time I wasn't working. Both involved assaults on officers, police won and BG's lost both times as well.
I had a guy fighting me one night who didn't want to go to jail. We ended up slipping in mud with him landing on top of me. I tried to call 10-78 3 times but one of our enlightened ones was on the radio running the registrations of people not from caucasia at the local gas station in his usual fishing expedition manner (we don't have MDTs - everything goes over priority), so I never got back up. Nothing like getting in a wrestling match with 28s from Chicago as the background music.

I ended the fight by locking his head down against my chest, peeling his eyelids open, putting my OC can on to his optic nerve and holding the fun button until he went limp and started screaming.
Old 12-16-2012, 20:08   #51
lopak

Kinda surreal --- beer bottles, backlit by streetlights, pinwheeling through the air and crashing on the roofs of patrol cars.

A couple of our guys decided to ticket a bunch of cars parked along a street in a dicey neighborhood ... in front of a dicey bar ... just as the bar was closing.

We were in the office finishing up an arrest when the radio lit up asking for everyone, all units/all districts. I managed to make sparks jumping over the curb coming out of the parking lot, scaring the crap out of my copilot.

When we got there everyone grabbed nightsticks and ran toward the fun. The partygoers that didn't book were booked. Blue from all over the city showed up.

And that was always the way of it. Regardless of rivalries, race, personalities, or politics, our guys and girls would risk their lives getting to an immediate assistance call. An all units/all districts was an epileptic's nightmare with a parade of flashing lights coming from all directions. The bad guys could expect immediate and intense response. Interesting how many units suddenly became "available".

Always made me proud.
lopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 23:53   #52
slama683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendog Redux View Post
A couple days ago I think my transmission was "send everybody" All went well but it was a little sketchy at first.
I used the same after an officer involved shooting, but since it was at 0400 hours, and I work in a small town, everyone else was in bed. So, the dispatcher, who was a bit stressed out, started calling them out in the order that they are pre-programmed into the phone bank:

1st call: Sheriff. Good guy, but he was in his late sixties
2nd call: Chief Deputy. Excellent guy, but he lives forty five miles away.
3rd call: Deputy who lived twenty miles away.

It wasn't until the 4th call that she hit someone who lived in the town that the shooting took place in.

NOTE: The dispatcher working was really good. But, she was on the phone with the reporting party when the shooting happened, and heard the yelling and then the gunshots. It kinda freaked her out.