Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 15:59   #1
jbp84

Court Strikes Down Illinois' Conceal Carry Ban

I posted this in the Illinois "Where You Live" forum, but thought its relevant to everybody.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#story/...-ban-20121211/

jbp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 16:43   #2
xmanhockey7

What an idiot. Yep blood will flow through the streets just like it already is in every other state in the nation.
Quote:
“If we need to change the law, let us at least craft a law that is very severely constrained and narrowly tailored so that we don’t invite guns out of control on each of our city’s streets,” Currie said. “I don’t want people out of control wandering the streets with guns that are out of control.”
Old 12-11-2012, 16:48   #3
Jackalo626

Move in the right direction at least.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 16:51   #4
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Congratulations to the folks in Illinois.

Now what those in charge need to do is control those who carry guns and are out of control in the neighborhoods where all the shootings and murders are taking place. I find it quite odd that nothing is being done about those.

Last edited by IGotIt; 12-11-2012 at 16:51..
IGotIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:01   #5
bear62

Who knows ....... maybe Illinois will be a state I will "visit" some day (not just drive through to get to the other side)...
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:22   #6
TK-421

I think it will be a victory once we can get decent laws on the books. We all know that illinois is going to try and make their new laws as anti-gun as possible, until someone else can afford to take them to court over the law they'll pass. I have very little doubt that they will not make a castle law, and that anybody who shoots in self defense will face charges, at least for a bit, even if concealed carry becomes legal.

Most Illinois lawmakers don't want guns, and they will fight for every single inch, and make the laws as difficult and unconstitutional as they can for as long as they can.
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:29   #7
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Most interesting development of the week! A split Federal Appeals Court decision breaks OUR way. If the US Supreme Court declines to review, which I think probable, then the last TOTAL state ban is gone. This would be massive in the fight against LOCAL bans.
Old 12-11-2012, 17:58   #8
jbp84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
We all know that illinois is going to try and make their new laws as anti-gun as possible...I have very little doubt that they will not make a castle law, and that anybody who shoots in self defense will face charges, at least for a bit, even if concealed carry becomes legal.

Most Illinois lawmakers don't want guns, and they will fight for every single inch, and make the laws as difficult and unconstitutional as they can for as long as they can.
With all due respect, you clearly know nothing about this state. It's not the whole state,or all of the Democrats, that are anti-gun...it's Chicago. The rest of the state is fairly pro-gun once you get outside of Chicago. We're home to Springfield Armory and Rock River arms. We also have a strong hunting and outdoors culture due to the majority of the state being rural areas. Again, once you get outside of Chicago.

Illinois does have a Castle Doctrine law which does not require a "duty to retreat" and spells out that the use of force is justified when protecting "self, dwelling, or other property." There is also specific protection from civil lawsuits relate to use of said force. (Article 7)

Governor Quinn's recent assault weapons ban bill was overridden by a vote of 49-4. Last year's proposed law to allow concealed carry (sponsored by a downstate Democrat) was passed by a vote of 65-52 but didn't have the 71 votes needed to overcome the governor's veto. I'm not sure where you're getting "most Illinois lawmakers don't want guns" from.

Feel free to check out the links if you like facts.

Old 12-11-2012, 18:00   #9
jbp84

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
Most interesting development of the week! A split Federal Appeals Court decision breaks OUR way. If the US Supreme Court declines to review, which I think probable, then the last TOTAL state ban is gone. This would be massive in the fight against LOCAL bans.
I think you're right. I believe Lisa Madigan and her ilk would be royally screwing other cities or states with restrictions (NJ, NYC, DC, etc.) if they tried a SCOTUS appeal.

Old 12-11-2012, 18:24   #10
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I think it will be a victory once we can get decent laws on the books. We all know that illinois is going to try and make their new laws as anti-gun as possible, until someone else can afford to take them to court over the law they'll pass. I have very little doubt that they will not make a castle law, and that anybody who shoots in self defense will face charges, at least for a bit, even if concealed carry becomes legal.

Yes, I agree that the legislators will fight for every inch they can. Shall we make bets?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to legalize concealed carry... everywhere outside of towns and cities... which would be practically everywhere.

Although, the judge did use very specific language saying a chicagoan is more likely to be attacked on a sidewalk than in his apartment on the 35 floor.

It will be interesting to see how this goes.

I don't think this will be the end of it. I think the supreme court will have to step in eventually.

I don't agree with gun bans in "sensitive places" aka defenseless target zones, but I wouldn't put it past the anti gunners out there to try to declare the whole state a "sensitive place".

I will be AMAZED if anything actually happens in 180 days
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 18:42   #11
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbp84 View Post
With all due respect, you clearly know nothing about this state. It's not the whole state,or all of the Democrats, that are anti-gun...it's Chicago. The rest of the state is fairly pro-gun once you get outside of Chicago. We're home to Springfield Armory and Rock River arms. We also have a strong hunting and outdoors culture due to the majority of the state being rural areas. Again, once you get outside of Chicago.

Illinois does have a Castle Doctrine law which does not require a "duty to retreat" and spells out that the use of force is justified when protecting "self, dwelling, or other property." There is also specific protection from civil lawsuits relate to use of said force. (Article 7)

Governor Quinn's recent assault weapons ban bill was overridden by a vote of 49-4. Last year's proposed law to allow concealed carry (sponsored by a downstate Democrat) was passed by a vote of 65-52 but didn't have the 71 votes needed to overcome the governor's veto. I'm not sure where you're getting "most Illinois lawmakers don't want guns" from.

Hey, I'll admit I was dead wrong about the state then...

I knew chicago was more anti gun than the rest of the state, but I didn't know those other things. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Still, government officials aren't known for being cooperative these days.
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 19:01   #12
jbp84

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccho View Post
Still, government officials aren't known for being cooperative these days.
That's something we definitely agree on. Sorry If I was a bit of a jerk in my post. I just get steamed when my home state is bashed as an anti-gun hellhole when in fact it's a very small (but unfortunately very powerful) minority who ruin it for the majority of us. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction, not just for IL but California, New York, Maryland, etc.

Old 12-11-2012, 19:14   #13
Gpruitt54

It's about frekin time! This is great news. I've had my Utah CCW permit for about 2 months. Now let's see what kinds of restrictions and road blocks Illinois apply in order to make it difficult for those who wish to carry. BTW, I am an Illinois resident.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:51   #14
FireForged
Millenium #3936

There will always be those people who honestly believe that the only thing that prevents a law abiding citizen from becoming a psychotic lunatic, is the availability of a firearm.

Last edited by FireForged; 12-11-2012 at 20:51..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:03   #15
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of you gun owners who wish to legally ccw in Illinios. :D
ICARRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:45   #16
tommyd78

carry in illinois

This is not gonna be easy as a life long illinois resident don't pop the champagne this is illinois they march to a different drummer if they can find a way they will make it as difficult as possible. All the big politicians in springfield are from chicago districts. Mike Madigan runs the state what mikey wants mikey gets.
tommyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 22:11   #17
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd78 View Post
This is not gonna be easy as a life long illinois resident don't pop the champagne this is illinois they march to a different drummer if they can find a way they will make it as difficult as possible. All the big politicians in springfield are from chicago districts. Mike Madigan runs the state what mikey wants mikey gets.
Yep,

Look for NY, MD, NJ, or HI style concealed carry laws.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 22:22   #18
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbp84 View Post

I grew up in the burbs, half an hour from Chicago. I learned guns were horrible, awful things that should be banned.

So while Chicago might be the only place they're actually banned, the anti-gun mentality freely permeates the burbs. What I learned about Illinois being anti-gun I learned from people in the burbs. Don't shoot the messenger who got the wrong story from ill-informed democratic morons, I was young.

I'm so glad to be out of there, I don't care if the entire state isn't anti-gun, and it's just Chicago that is, the whole state still sucks. FOID card? No CCW? No thanks.
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 22:25   #19
Jermzzzzzzz

Utah CHL reciprocity and Shall Issue please!!

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 12-11-2012, 23:58   #20
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

I am glad... I'm happy for all the citizens of Illinois! I hope they do this "right" and don't rush through it since they only have 180 days.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote