Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17   #1
RiverRat5.0

Comptac MTAC

So i just received my MTAC in the mail. I got the model that fits all 9/40/357 models even though i only have a 26 (more room to grow :-)). I really appreciate the overall initial quality that you feel. However i do have a question...

The holster is VERY tight. I tried loosening the retention screws but its still to tight to draw from. Is this the case for most people? I called Comptac (who has great customer service btw) and they mentioned that I should wrap it in a plastic bag and holster the gun for a day or two. Once I have done this the holster should be good to go. I hope so, because when I was wearing the holster around the house.. if I did actually get the gun to come out of the holster, I found that the opening was about half the width of my gun to re-holster. (And no it isnt my fat rolls pushing on the holster, Im 6'1 175). To those of you that have bought the holster, is this normal break in criteria?

Thanks!

Oh and I love the polymer clips.

A wise man once said, "A poor workman blames his tools. A poor marksman blames his caliber."
RiverRat5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 13:19   #2
stash0501

Mine was tight but I don't think that bad. It will definitely break in though as I had to tighten my retention screws after a week. Make sure you a drawing it correctly. My brother had a problem at first with his crossbreed, till I realized he was not drawing it straight out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
stash0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 13:27   #3
sa227driver
Trophy Husband

Perfectly normal, congrats on your new MTAC; its a great system. After your gun is in the holster for awhile the leather backing will start to conform to the edges and depth of your weapon. I have one MTAC with multiple kydex bodies for all my carry guns.

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle"--Psalm 144:1
sa227driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:01   #4
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat5.0 View Post
So i just received my MTAC in the mail. I got the model that fits all 9/40/357 models even though i only have a 26 (more room to grow :-)). I really appreciate the overall initial quality that you feel. However i do have a question...

The holster is VERY tight. I tried loosening the retention screws but its still to tight to draw from. Is this the case for most people? I called Comptac (who has great customer service btw) and they mentioned that I should wrap it in a plastic bag and holster the gun for a day or two. Once I have done this the holster should be good to go. I hope so, because when I was wearing the holster around the house.. if I did actually get the gun to come out of the holster, I found that the opening was about half the width of my gun to re-holster. (And no it isnt my fat rolls pushing on the holster, Im 6'1 175). To those of you that have bought the holster, is this normal break in criteria?

Thanks!

Oh and I love the polymer clips.
When the clips are not engaging the belt properly (I've got the C-clips), the draw is a SOB. After I broke in the holster and when I make sure that they are secure before I leave, the draw is fine, even after a few hours drive when I get back to the house. But, I bought the Spartan 'cause I'm cheap, so..
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:14   #5
DannyII

Normal.

It will conform to the gun/you in a week or two. Mine is the most comfortable IWB I've ever tried. When I first got it, I removed the tension screws, and blue loctited them back just enough to hold them in place (2 turns). I also blue loctited the clip screws after I found my cant angle and ride depth.
Old 06-08-2012, 19:19   #6
LuvDog

Yup. Wrap it in a plastic bag, some folks do waxed paper for a couple of days.
LuvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:25   #7
greentriple

I've considered one of there, but quite frankly consider all the leather resale stare too much. All that hide against my hip would seem to create heat and sweat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
greentriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:37   #8
2740dmx

Normal.

My MTAC was tight for a few days (I wore it daily) and now is fine.
At first, the whole darn holster tried to come out when I drew my weapon. Or it would pull my britches up to my neck!

Carry Issues
Old 06-08-2012, 20:15   #9
Happypuppy

Shove a bunch of socks into the holster for a couple days and let it stretch. Once you break it in I suspect you will love it

Sent from my 300 baud modem
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34   #10
jdavionic
NRA Member

Mine was very tight when I first got it. I did the 'plastic bag' thing and it helped. However what helped much more was just practicing with the holster. Repeatedly drawing and re-holstering the firearm helped the most.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43   #11
RiverRat5.0

One thing that I noticed when comparing it to the crossbreed is that it isn't as long. What I mean is the clips are not spaced out as far as the crossbreed. This seems fine. But it is so wide at this point it doesn't conform to my body and hold in tight. Will that also change?

A wise man once said, "A poor workman blames his tools. A poor marksman blames his caliber."
Old 06-09-2012, 10:49   #12
DannyII

Yes. After about two weeks of carrying, it will look like a mold of your hip.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:43   #13
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyII View Post
Yes. After about two weeks of carrying, it will look like a mold of your hip.
. And once it does, it really doesn't matter where you carry it, or at least in my experience. When I'm going to be standing a lot, I prefer carrying behind the hip, and when I'm going to be seated, more to the side... or when I tuck, behind the hip... anyway, once the leather has broken down/in a little it is more malleable and fits much much better.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 13:39   #14
cowboy1964

I have three and none of mine were that tight.

A good test is if you shake the holster upside down the gun should fall out. If it doesn't it's too tight to begin with and will just be worse while wearing it.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:20   #15
G19aps

My MTAC wasn't tight when I got it new 4 years ago. My 1 yr old Spartan is way too tight. The shell is just too darn flexible and it bends too much into the gun when my belt is sufficiently tight to keep my pants from falling down. The shell on my MTAC is thicker and doesn't bend as much.

Last edited by G19aps; 06-09-2012 at 15:20..
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 22:06   #16
jamaicanj

My mtacs are a few years old and I don't recall them needing a break in period. Congrats on your new super comfortable holster.
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57   #17
JrFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat5.0 View Post
The holster is VERY tight. I tried loosening the retention screws but its still to tight to draw from. Is this the case for most people?
I was going to post this exact thing this morning. I just got my MTAC yesterday for my G23. I love the look / feel of the holster. Looks more refined than my Supertucks.

But holy cow I can barely draw the firearm and I have the retention screws almost out. Any looser and they'll fall out.

I'll try what customer service told you... hope it helps.
JrFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41   #18
G19aps

I ended up taking off the shell, filing down the retention bump in the trigger guard area,reassembling. Then wrapping the G26 in a heavy zip lock bag and keeping it in the holster for a few days. Also, raised the holster by 2 hole on the arms to lower the area on the body that the belt pushes against. The Spartan is usable now but still not as smooth as my old MTAC.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 22:30   #19
RiverRat5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19aps View Post
I ended up taking off the shell, filing down the retention bump in the trigger guard area,reassembling. Then wrapping the G26 in a heavy zip lock bag and keeping it in the holster for a few days. Also, raised the holster by 2 hole on the arms to lower the area on the body that the belt pushes against. The Spartan is usable now but still not as smooth as my old MTAC.
I have it being stretched out right now. If it doesnt get any better over the next couple days i am going to return it and order the clips for my super tuck. I feel like the comptac clips on a supetuck holster make it pretty tough to beat!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:00   #20
JrFreak

I have a Minotaur for my G23 and Crossbreeds for my G27 and PM9. The Minotaur looks nicer, but I find my Supertucks more comfortable.
JrFreak is offline   Reply With Quote