GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:32   #21
Boot Stomper

This was a shocker today. A victory for all that believe in the U.S. Constitution. The next 180 day will be interesting. How many obstacles with the legislature put in front of the residents of Illinois?

Congrats to all freedom loving people.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47   #22
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Yep,

Look for NY, MD, NJ, or HI style concealed carry laws.
this, nuf sed.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12   #23
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
this, nuf sed.
Possibly true ... but remember ... It is easier to EXPAND a right, than to ESTABLISH one.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34   #24
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

While everyone continues to pile on IL lets take a look at the facts. The last few concealed carry pushes have been led by democrats, its a chicago vs the rest of the state thing, not dem vs republican. We were only a few votes short of a supermajority in passing our last bill, which was a pretty good bill. The ruling actually sets it up so that at 180 days from the ruling if there is no law then IL will become free territory for anyone with a FOID card with no regulations or restrictions.

That being said it comes to this, chicago gives in to what the rest of us want, or they fight and introduce thier own bill. Downstate doesnt vote for thiers, they dont vote for downstate. In 180 days we all conceal carry with no laws at all against it. No matter what the gun owner wins in this specific case.

Its crazy that its happening this way, but hey, this is Illinois and anything can happen here.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36   #25
John Biltz

Correct me if I'm wrong but they threw out the current law and allowed them 180 days to get a new one. If no new law is passed then there is no gun law at all. That is a very strong bargaining position for the pro gun guys.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:40   #26
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
While everyone continues to pile on IL lets take a look at the facts. The last few concealed carry pushes have been led by democrats, its a chicago vs the rest of the state thing, not dem vs republican. We were only a few votes short of a supermajority in passing our last bill, which was a pretty good bill. The ruling actually sets it up so that at 180 days from the ruling if there is no law then IL will become free territory for anyone with a FOID card with no regulations or restrictions.

That being said it comes to this, chicago gives in to what the rest of us want, or they fight and introduce thier own bill. Downstate doesnt vote for thiers, they dont vote for downstate. In 180 days we all conceal carry with no laws at all against it. No matter what the gun owner wins in this specific case.

Its crazy that its happening this way, but hey, this is Illinois and anything can happen here.
How does the FOID card come into play?

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02   #27
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Cool!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:06   #28
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
How does the FOID card come into play?

red
The FOID act states that you must have a FOID card to legally posess a firearm. If the chicago machine pushes us off the "concealed carry cliff" of 180 days, simply having a FOID card would allow you to posess it and there would be no laws restricting concealed or open carry.

Chicago is screwed, but they wont admit it. SCOTUS is thier best option, but again, the opinion of the 7th is based on SCOTUS rulings.
Old 12-12-2012, 13:14   #29
ArrowJ

Quote:
The FOID act states that you must have a FOID card to legally posess a firearm. If the chicago machine pushes us off the "concealed carry cliff" of 180 days, simply having a FOID card would allow you to posess it and there would be no laws restricting concealed or open carry.
Yeah, I will have to let somebody else fight that court battle. Restrictions or not, cliff or not, they will arrest you all the same.
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 14:05   #30
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:

Chicago is screwed, but they wont admit it. SCOTUS is thier best option, but again, the opinion of the 7th is based on SCOTUS rulings.
Gotcha....wasn't sure how it would play into it. Just off the top of my head thinking; wouldn't that card be null/void after 180 days, since the court has stated they do have the right to have firearms?

red
The 10 Ring #00720

Old 12-12-2012, 15:25   #31
vafish

Quote:
Gotcha....wasn't sure how it would play into it. Just off the top of my head thinking; wouldn't that card be null/void after 180 days, since the court has stated they do have the right to have firearms?

red
The ruling wasnt' about the FOID card, it was about a complete prohibition on carrying firearms for self defense. The FOID card will probably be seen as a "Reasonable" restriction on firearms ownership. Just like NY's concealed carry law was upheld as being a reasonable restriction.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:44   #32
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
The ruling wasnt' about the FOID card, it was about a complete prohibition on carrying firearms for self defense. The FOID card will probably be seen as a "Reasonable" restriction on firearms ownership. Just like NY's concealed carry law was upheld as being a reasonable restriction.
I agree, it wasn't about the FOID card. However, with the card, it prevents conceal carry; provided there is no CC laws after 180 days I'm thinking how this card now prevents CC. I see how one can construe this a 'reasonable. but since there are no CC laws, meaning the card isn't part of the CC laws (cause there are none), does it become void when CC?

Situation: I travel to IL after the 180 days with no CC laws. I don't have a FOID card, can I CC? I know this is hypothetical....but if the Chicago reps get into a pissing match with the rest of the state...it may occur.

Just curious.

red
The 10 Ring #00720

Old 12-12-2012, 16:53   #33
harrygunner

Barbara Flynn Currie (D-Chicago) quote in the Tribune:

“If we need to change the law, let us at least craft a law that is very severely constrained and narrowly tailored so that we don’t invite guns out of control on each of our city’s streets,” Currie said. “I don’t want people out of control wandering the streets with guns that are out of control.”

In these two sentences, the word 'control' appears three times with 'constrained' thrown in for measure.

Could "control" be what oppressive gun laws are about?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7034171.story
Old 12-12-2012, 16:57   #34
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

This court ruling is HUGE. Just last month, driving up to see my mom in Wisconsin, and coming from Indiana, I had to stop my car. Disarm. Remove the magazine from my carry weapon, and stow it all in a closed container in the back of my vehicle. So much fun to do at a rest area or gas station. I mean, it really felt crazy.

But I'll do it until Illinois finally changes its laws.

Courts have given IL 180 days to put together a decent law. I think they'll do it sooner. They've been fighting a losing battle. Yes! My KY CCDW license will be valid soon enough in Illinois....Hip Hip Hooray!!!
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:22   #35
Gpruitt54

Quote:

You know how it goes, when people have a political axe to grind, they will find a way. Facts be damned.

This Illinois ban on conceal carry has always been as flimsy as a proper case against it; as we have seen here. Has this conversation during my Utah CCW class a few months ago.

Last edited by Gpruitt54; 12-12-2012 at 19:27..
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:56   #36
vafish

Quote:
I agree, it wasn't about the FOID card. However, with the card, it prevents conceal carry; provided there is no CC laws after 180 days I'm thinking how this card now prevents CC. I see how one can construe this a 'reasonable. but since there are no CC laws, meaning the card isn't part of the CC laws (cause there are none), does it become void when CC?

Situation: I travel to IL after the 180 days with no CC laws. I don't have a FOID card, can I CC? I know this is hypothetical....but if the Chicago reps get into a pissing match with the rest of the state...it may occur.

Just curious.

red

The FOID card doesn't prevent concealed carry if the concealed carry prohibition is struck down and no law is written to allow concealed carry.

Currently a FOID card is required for any Illinois resident to purchase, own or possess a firearm.

So if the concealed carry law is struck down the only gun law left is the FOID card act and a FOID card is required for an Illinois resident to possess a firearm. Therefore a FOID card will become the only requirement to carry.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 21:08   #37
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but they threw out the current law and allowed them 180 days to get a new one. If no new law is passed then there is no gun law at all. That is a very strong bargaining position for the pro gun guys.
My thoughts exactly. What say you Illini?
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 21:53   #38
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
My thoughts exactly. What say you Illini?
I say let those cook county politicians write the most anti gun bill - (and it will fail just like Pat Quinn's assault weapons ban this year) no downstate politician supports it and the house gets deadlocked past the 180 days and no restrictions on CCW gets passed by default

seriously like John Biltz said, for years Chicago politicians have screwed over the state by trying to pass dumb gun laws and voting against CCW now Chicago and cook county can't get a majority of the house which is pro-gun to agree to their bill we get CCW with no restriction and the pro-gun representatives know it
Old 12-13-2012, 00:06   #39
Tru7h

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
That's exactly what I've heard as well.

Really hoping that's exactly what happens. My industry is having the national trade show in Chicago in 2013 (that falls solidly within the 'have to go' category), and it would be fantastic to have reciprocity for my CCW in that hellhole. If the pro-gun types have any sense in IL, they'll stonewall and gridlock those bills for the 180 days if possible.
Tru7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56   #40
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
The FOID card doesn't prevent concealed carry if the concealed carry prohibition is struck down and no law is written to allow concealed carry.

Currently a FOID card is required for any Illinois resident to purchase, own or possess a firearm.

So if the concealed carry law is struck down the only gun law left is the FOID card act and a FOID card is required for an Illinois resident to possess a firearm. Therefore a FOID card will become the only requirement to carry.
So, as a visitor to IL, if no CCW law has been written, CCing would not be illegal; since I'm not a resident, I don't require a FOID card. ??

Another question, if I move to IL with firearms, a person has to obtain a FOID card to retain ownership of the weapons they already own? (I think I know the answer; once they become a resident of IL, they have to have the FOID card to retain ownership in the state. Correct?)

I'm very curious...not being argumentative. Hopefully, if they write a CCW bill, they can remove that FOID card bureaucratic BS!

red
The 10 Ring #00720