Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-13-2012, 18:46   #1
donut1953

Just Trying To Keep It Simple

I just started getting into reloading after taking 15 years off. Used to have a dillon 550 (sold it) but recently bought a lee classic turret press. I like the press however one problem with their pro powder measure it only allows you to select certain cavities for measuring the power.

For example I have started loading for my Glock 19 Gen 4. I decided to use power pistol, cci primers, precision delta 124gr JHP and a mix of 9mm brass. The two choices I have to throw the powder charge is either 5.5 grains or 6.0 grains. I have loaded both and both cycle through my gun with no signs of any problems. I do use the OAL of 1.130.

According to Alliants web site the closes recipe I find for my 124 gr DP is them using the GDHP 124gr with a max of 6.4 grains of Power pistol with an oal of 1.120. I can either load 5.5 grains PP which would be under the 10% reduction starting point of 5.7 grains or the 6.0 grains which would be in between the suggested starting load and the max.

As i said in the beginning I want to keep it simple. Can anybody tell me if they have had any issues with starting a few grains under a suggested starting point or if just picking a middle ground between the starting load and the max load is just a solid choice.
donut1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 19:13   #2
Kentguy

donut1953,

I have only one recipe which matches yours, I have used my numbers from the Speer #14 manual;

Case - Any of your good used brass will do.
Bullet - 124g RN FMJ (Precision Delta)
Powder - Alliant - Power Pistol @ 6.2g
Powder range - 5.6g up to 6.4g (Speer)
Burn rate -#33 (hodgdon)
Bullet length OAL - 1.150"
Velocity - 1,201.6 fps my 5 shot average @ 73 degrees
Crimp - Light
Test Gun - Glock 17 w/4.49" Barrel

I have a Lee Classic Turret press with the "Pro" auto disc powder dispenser. The best I can tell you is - yes it is a pain in the A$# to work with when you test charges and the one that turns out to be the best is the one not given by those disks!

Power Pistol is a medium burning powder so I went along with the recommended OAL by Speer coupled with the longer barrel keeps the pressure down with decent velocity and better than average accuracy in my G17.

If you have a Chronograph this will help you answer future questions like the one you posed. If you do not have a Chrono, pick a velocity you wish to achieve, check Alliant's numbers given and that will give you a better look at where you can start and not to go above your mark.
Old 12-13-2012, 20:50   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

It looks to me that you're going by the chart that comes with the measure and assuming it is correct. Make sure you actually weigh a few charges to see for yourself what the cavities throw. They almost always throw a little light. My guess is that the "6.0" that you're referring to will be more like 5.8 which is probably right where you want to be.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 12-13-2012 at 20:51..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 21:03   #4
donut1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
It looks to me that you're going by the chart that comes with the measure and assuming it is correct. Make sure you actually weigh a few charges to see for yourself what the cavities throw. They almost always throw a little light. My guess is that the "6.0" that you're referring to will be more like 5.8 which is probably right where you want to be.
No I would not do that. The disk called for 6.0 and I weighed the charge on my Lyman beam scale and it was almost 6.0 if anything a little light but more than 5.9. I try to weigh about every twenty rounds and have found power pistol meters very well.
donut1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 21:19   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

The 0.53cc cavity throws 5.7 grains all day long as measured on two different beam scales. FWIW, I have run 125JHP Zeros with 6.8 for an average of 1260 out of my G17.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 16:19   #6
zippyhuntin

If you buy the double disk kit you should be able to make .1gr changes in your charge weights.
zippyhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 23:00   #7
CaptainXL

I have several Lee Auto Disk Adjustable Powder charge bars. You can adjust cavity size with a thumb screw, which can be used to drop a charge at whatever weight you want. Only $10 from Midwayusa http://www.midwayusa.com/product/150...der-charge-bar or Lee http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html

This allows you to drop a charge that is between the two weights droped by standard round cavities in the normal multi-hole disks. You have full adjustability of powder weight.

After I have a charge bars dialed in for a certain powder & power weight I keep it in a baggie with the powder and charge weight info marked on the baggie. That way if I change loads or calibers I just refer to my reloading data, find and use the adjustable bar that I want.