Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-13-2012, 18:52   #1
SC_Dave

Question about Hornady LnL case feeder

I'm thinking of getting one. Do they work well on 9mm? Pros? Cons?
Old 12-13-2012, 20:21   #2
jbrown13

CONS:

There are a few problems with the LnL case feeder and 9mm. The 9mm brass tends to occasionally create a blockage at the top funnel, and if you aren't paying attention it cause a brass rain. There are things you can do to minimize this happening, but I haven't been able to completely eliminate it. The pivot piece at the bottom of the drop tube on my unit galled and stopped working until I found a material called Rulon in tape form that I put on it a bearing surface. Others have not had this problem, so I guess depends on how tolerances stack up, etc. as to whether it will happen or not. On short brass, 9mm and 45 ACP I have had to make a skirt for the tube that drops the brass from the pivoting piece to keep the brass from bouncing off the sub-plate and falling off. Not a problem with longer brass like 38 special.

PROS:

It is still faster and more convenient than inserting the brass by hand.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 20:42   #3
fredj338

The design is flawed regardless of caliber. They can be made to run most of the time. WHy I tell folks; if you want a case feeder, get the 650, it's a better tool for less than $100 more.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 20:48   #4
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

They are flawed, and I am a Hornady fan. They have blockage issues with every caliber. Its manageable but a PITA. You still will be reloading quicker, you may just curse a few extra times.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 21:26   #5
Colorado4Wheel

The issue with the bowl is fixable. take the bowl off, elongate the holes in the plastic to reclock the opening on the bowl with the funnel. It needs to move about 1/4" to the left. The rest of the case feeder assembly (slider) is utter crap and not fixable. Get a 650.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 12-13-2012 at 21:26..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 00:53   #6
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
The issue with the bowl is fixable. take the bowl off, elongate the holes in the plastic to reclock the opening on the bowl with the funnel. It needs to move about 1/4" to the left. The rest of the case feeder assembly (slider) is utter crap and not fixable. Get a 650.
It is fixable Steve, you need to be a bit of a machinist to do it though. My buddy has a LNL, case & bullet feeder. He probably has 40hrs+ of machine time into tweeking everything so it runs right. He has measured everything 10x & talked to the Hornady guys for hours too. He has made several small part mods for it that he should really sell to other LNL owners. It runs fine, almost as good as my 650. After all this, he is thinking about buying a buddy's almost new 650. HE bought the LNL before we knew each other, so I could never give him any wisdom on the pruchase, but he has it working the way he wants now, he'll never sell it.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-14-2012 at 00:54..
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24   #7
Colorado4Wheel

I should buy another LnL and a mill.
Old 12-14-2012, 17:57   #8
shotgunred
reloading nut

Those "free bullets" sway a lot of people. I had to talk a coworker into not buying a LNL and getting a 550 instead.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 18:02   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Those "free bullets" sway a lot of people. I had to talk a coworker into not buying a LNL and getting a 550 instead.
Consider you don;t get the bullets you want, you get what they give you, & only 500, not a huge selling point to me. I want a machine that does what it is advertized to do. The LNL will but not w/o a bunch of tinkering w/ teh case feeder. No feeder, not a bad press.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:23   #10
WiskyT
Malcontent

All the expense of a Dillon, and twice the frustration of a Lee. They have some nerve painting it red. Lee produced a cheap reliable case feeder nearly 30 years ago and made it red. Hornady should have picked brown, or rust as those colors better represent the success of a LNL.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 13:11   #11
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Shortsighted.
Old 12-16-2012, 21:07   #12
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

The press is great, its the bullet/Case feeder that are lacking.

@Fred, sorry I missed your post, just got back from WA state and I am trying to catch up with work etc. I swear if the world does not end on Friday I will make it out there. I meet up with BoxerGlocker in WA and he was telling me about IDPA, I have not lost the itch to do it.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 17:14   #13
alitke15

For 9mm I actually really enjoy me LnL and have had no issues with the case feeder. Reloading .223/556 is another story. Jams all the time when dropping into the tube.
alitke15 is offline   Reply With Quote