Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2003, 00:02   #21
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

More GSSF Tips #18-35

This week's Tip is hosted by Dale Rhea.

Question: What is the best way to practice for the plates when you are unable to shoot metal at your range and still build up your speed? For the Unlimited Class, sight picture and trigger control are first so how do you work on the rythm for speed on the plates?

Dale's response to this topic is as follows:

Every time you use your pistol, make sure safety is your first concern.

Plates are incredibly difficult to shoot well. The bright white circle grabs your attention and causes you to lose focus because it makes you look at the plate rather than at your sights. The result is disastrous.

The inability to practice on steel targets actually is a blessing in disguise. When you are learning, the noise and movement of real steel plates will distract you. The best way to learn the techniques for speed on steel is by practicing on paper targets.

First, you need to make a virtual plate rack. Any cardboard will work; just paint a white 8-inch circle in the middle. It is important to have a brown border around the “plate” so you can see where your misses are going. I use NRA D-1 (tombstone) targets and paint the 8-inch center of the target white. Set up 6 of these targets so the “plates” are 12 inches edge-to-edge. Get both brown and white target pasters. Using the correct color pasters will help maintain the visual integrity of the paper “plate rack” and allow it last longer. Pasters and targets are available from www.targetbarn.com

Going fast on the plates requires your very best techniques. Your grip, stance and balance are more important here than on any other stage. When you are practicing, try to simulate the match. Pick out the center of the first plate. At the start signal, raise the pistol and align the sights on that spot. You should see a crisp sight picture with a slightly blurry plate behind it. Hesitate just a little on the first plate. If you miss that first shot the rest of the run is down the tubes. Don’t jerk. Aim, then squeeze the trigger until you feel it break. When the shot breaks, immediately move your eyes to the next plate. Don’t look for your hit; look at the next plate and move the pistol over and align the sights on it as you release the trigger to the reset position. As the pistol comes out of recoil you should be aligning on the next plate, feeling the trigger reset and pulling your focus back to the front sight so you regain that crisp sight picture. Feel the trigger, let it break, then move on to the next plate. Be sure to follow through on the last plate so you will not try to finish too fast and jerk the last shot.

You don’t need a timer to become a good plate shooter, but after you become competent, will need one in order to become a great plate shooter. Using a timer will help you see the time to your first shot and the time between shots. As you make minor adjustments to your shooting, the timer will help you see whether the changes are helping you go faster. When practicing without a timer, start from the low ready, and simulate the range instructions, saying to yourself, “Are you ready? Standby. Beep.”

Using a red dot sight makes shooting plates both easier and faster. Your focus is totally on the plates. When you see the dot coming onto the plate, squeeze until you feel the trigger break, then move on to the next plate. If you missed you either jerked or the pistol needs to be sighted in.

In order to go fast you must be relaxed. At the match, remember to stay within your ability. You cannot shoot the stages faster during the match than you can in your practice sessions. Many good shooters shoot the match a little slower than they shoot in practice in order to handle the adrenalin generated by competition. Stay focused on what you are doing. Don’t let other shooters distract you. If you find yourself thinking about anything other than the plates ask for timeout and refocus.

I have seen great plate runs shot from either right to left or from left to right. Shoot in the direction that feels right for you. If you are going at warp speed with a scoped pistol you may want to go from right to left to avoid the possibility of a jam caused by the gun colliding with the ejected brass.

Dale's response is posted by Bobby Carver for Dale Rhea.
"Home of the CARVER Mount"
www.bb-enterprise.biz
BCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 23:05   #22
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

GSSF Tip #19-35

This week's question is hosted by Jerry Worsham.

Question: Is reloading really necessary?

Answer: No, just check out Tony Clemons times! That said I think reloading is beneficial for the serious competitor. With the above mentioned exception, all the top shooters I know reload. It provides the opportunity to shoot more, tailor a load for your gun, and load to a recoil level that enhances your performance.

When reloading there are three rules. 1st load for reliability, you can’t win if you can’t finish the match without malfunctions. 2nd load for accuracy, you have to have groups that are consistent and as small as possible. 3rd and last is load for as low a recoil level as possible without negatively effecting the first two rules. If you follow this formula you’ll have ammo that provides you with the best opportunity to perform well at a match.

Rule 1; no matter what type of shooting you’re doing you need to load for reliable functioning. The most important thing is to have your pistol function every round. At GSSF a jam cost you seconds in a game where every second counts. Aside from the lost opportunity to do your best, you can also be injured. I’ve seen a lot of cut thumbs at GSSF matches when things didn’t go right clearing a malfunction!

Rule 2; we all want an accurate load for our pistols. Hitting what we aim at is the goal of every shooter. When shooting competition we want to eliminate all the variables we can thereby limiting the errors in our match to us. If your gun/ammo combination is good then it’s all you. It’s tough to win when even if you “do it right” if your gun/ammo combination can let you down with those flyers!

Rule 3; having reduced recoil, or with a comped gun controlled recoil, will definitely speed that next shot. By controlling the recoil it allows faster “back on target” times, making your second shot on a target or transition to the next target smoother. Smooth is fast.

If you are a serious GSSF shooter a couple of things are beneficial, shooting 9MM, reloading, lots of practice. Folks can and do win at GSSF with factory ammo, other calibers, but never without practice. Reloading 9MM may not save you tons but with a good accurate load and practicing with that load you gain the benefits of familiarity with your combination. The same applies if you’re shooting 40, 45 or any other caliber.

Since there’s no power factor in GSSF, most competitors work for a soft shooting, accurate load. If that’s what you’re working for and you’re using a progressive press you need to remember there can be some small errors in your powder charge. So living on the edge with a light load and marginal functioning then experiencing a light load can lead to those occasional unexplained malfunctions that just drive you crazy. If you live on the edge, expect to bleed a little from time to time.

If you’re looking for some good load information you can check out this thread:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172527

Jerry Worsham's response is posted by Bobby Carver for Jerry Worsham.
www.bb-enterprise.biz
Old 10-16-2003, 22:33   #23
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

More GSSF TIPS #20-35

This week's question is hosted by Bobby Carver.

Question:
It seems to me that I can shoot faster by fully resetting the trigger (instead of the half reset or whatever you want to call it) because I have a hard time knowing exactly where the shorter reset point is, so how does one use the shorter reset and resulting shorter trigger pull more effectively?

Answer:
The recommended method for faster repeat shots or "double taps" as they have been tagged in the shooting arena is to use 'the shorter reset' because it requires fewer muscles used by the trigger finger; thus, preventing less shake or movement of the handgun so that your second shot can be done quicker and "on target". Understanding that this method of Mastering the Glock is difficult, to improve the execution of this method, you should consider the following training methods/refinements:

1. Evaluate the position of your trigger finger on the trigger after you have acquired your grip. Too much finger in the trigger guard and using a joint on the trigger can reduce the amount of flexibility with the trigger finger. Try using ONLY the the pad of the trigger finger "before" your first joint.

2. Drill A: Practice dry firing at home, in your backyard or at the range.
(Notice: Never assume your Glock is unloaded. Always check your Glock to make sure it is unloaded before doing this drill)
After dry firing the first shot, HOLD the trigger to the rear with your trigger finger, holding the weapon in your strong hand, use the weak hand to recyle the slide enough to reset the stiker, then release the trigger far enough to "hear" and "feel" the click, then dry fire again, repeating the previous steps.

3. Drill B: Practice shooting a paper plate at 15 yards, by firing the first shot,..........pause long enough to reset the trigger like you practiced when you dry fired...........then......pull the trigger again.............pause long enough to reset the trigger, etc. Practice this drill shooting 10 shot strings at a single paper plate at 15 yards, keeping all shots in the paper plate.

4. Drill C: Repeat #3 above, placing the paper plate at 20 yards.

5. Drill D: Repeat #3 above, placing the paper plate at 25 yards.

6. Prior to any practice or match, spend at least 5 minutes of dry firing, resetting the trigger like we mentioned in #2 above.

Mastering the reset of the trigger will improve your shooting in two ways: 1. Accuracy 2. Speed

When you are giving the trigger a full pull or are sroking the trigger, do you get some shots that are low and to the left? The reason is due to excessive movement of the trigger finger without an index point and when you pull the trigger, you are prone to jerk the trigger at the break where the striker is released. Pulling the trigger with less movement of the trigger finger will allow you to pull straight back, moving your barrel less.

When you are giving the trigger a full pull or are sroking the trigger, do you use more time to shoot that way? You probably do because the time between each "double tap" is greater because it takes longer to release the trigger to its full position than the "shorter" point as you referred to.

I have found that if I'm focused on the front sight and I have a proper stance and grip, controlling my trigger with the use of the 'shorter reset' is easier because I'm utilizing my memory muscles that I have developed from the time I've invested dry firing and practicing trigger control.

I hope that these "tips" will assist you with your trigger control. As I've implied in my response, there is no substitute for dry firing and "mastering" the Glock trigger.

Best regards and "keep Glockin"
Bobby Carver
www.bb-enterprise.biz
Old 11-12-2003, 01:06   #24
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

More GSSF Tips #21-35

This topic is hosted by Bobby Carver.

Topic Question: When at any given stage, do you always shoot the stock gun first, then Unlimited, or vise/versa? How about for Amateurs - any gun order recommendations?

Bobby's Response:

I have found that shooting my stock gun first helps me to focus on watching my red dot on my U/L gun when I shoot it after my Stock gun run. Since the shooting times with my U/L Glock 34 are quicker than with my Stock G17, warming up my concentration and my muscles with a “smooth” run with the Stock gun allows me to shoot my U/L gun the way I’ve practiced, smooth and as fast as I can and maintain the accuracy that I want.

Since shooters classified as GSSF Masters are only allowed to compete in 2 classes, Stockmeister and Unlimited, I have found that shooting both firearms, back to back, helps me to maintain consistency but choosing to shoot more than 2 firearms or classes without a break will depend upon your stamina to remain focused. I strongly recommend that you, “do not rush your shooting”. If you are shooting more than 2 firearms in multiple classes, ask the RO to add at least 2 shooters between your second set of 2 firearms, etc.

You have invested hours of practice and, in some cases, many hours of travel to arrive at a match to maximize your potentials and skills. Please avoid getting in such a hurry that you do not give yourself the “very best” opportunity to do your “very best”.

TIP 1: After shooting a maximum of 2 guns, while waiting to shoot your next match or matches, think about what you did right previously and what pleased you, focusing upon doing the same when you are on the line again.

TIP 2: Evaluate what you want to improve when you shoot your next set and concentrate on “how you want to shoot” the next set and “in your mind” visualize how you WILL shoot the next set.

How about for Amateurs - any gun order recommendations?

The gun order that you may wish to shoot will depend upon the number of guns that you are planning to shoot. If you have registered to shoot in Amateur Civilian, Competition, Subcompact, Stockmeister and Unlimited, you may want to follow these steps to evaluate “which” to shoot in what order:

1. Prioritize which events you have shot the best in the past and rank them in that order. For this example, let’s say you have always performed the best in AmCiv, Subcompact, Competition, Stockmeister and then Unlimited in the order from the best to worst.
2. Since we all perform until our performance peaks, focus upon what event or events you may wish to shoot until you feel you may peak. For example, since you have always performed the best in AmCiv, you may wish to shoot Stockmeister first and then shoot your AmCiv with the same Glock model. Then take a rest.
3. Your second set of Glocks to shoot should be the ones you want to improve upon your last performance. In this case, you may wish to shoot the Competition and then the Subcompact Glocks. Then take a rest
4. Last but not least, shoot your Unlimited gun with no pressure. You have already shot all of your “iron sight” Glocks, now it’s time to shoot your Red Dot Glock and have some fun, implementing all of the basic shooting skills that you have exercised shooting the other 4 events.

Now that I have shared with you my “ideas” and “suggestions” based upon the way I evaluate or approach the challenge of “which event to shoot first”, allow yourself some time to prioritize the events as I’ve discussed and once you’ve established this order………PRACTICE shooting the events in that order EVERYTIME you practice them at the range. Accomplishing this last step will provide you positive results the day of the match.

“Keep shooting and be safe”
www.bb-enterprise.biz
Old 11-16-2003, 22:22   #25
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

More GSSF Tips #22-35

When we solicited for inquiries to be covered for "More GSSF Tips", there were many inquiries about how to shoot a match. One of our Master contributors has prepared this tip to contribute to the various inquiries about "pre-shot routines".

Mike Finch has offered the following to be a part of "More GSSF Tips 2003". Thanks, Mike.

DEVELOPING A PRE-SHOT ROUTINE

Previous topics have addressed the key fundamentals of stance, trigger control, grip, sight alignment, etc…. Developing a solid, consistent pre-shot routine can prepare shooters to successfully execute these techniques.

A close parallel to competitive shooting is the PGA Tour. Both sports require the competitor to have a solid stance, proper grip, correct mental approach and the ability to execute upon demand. Note how a golf pro stands behind the ball visualizing the shot, takes his stance and proper grip while preparing to make that perfect shot. Also, when he is distracted or something doesn’t feel right, he backs off and again goes through his pre-shot routine. This preparation is mental as the concentration/focus increases and physical as his body becomes prepped for execution of the shot.

This same type of mental and physical preparation can effectively work for GSSF and other shooting sports by developing a personalized pre-shot routine. Watch the top shooters closely and you will see some routines that appear causal to some that seem complex. None will be exactly the same…but they work for the individuals.

Take into consideration the various steps associated with how you step into the shooting box, take relaxing breaths, move into your stance, index on a particular target, grip the gun, take a sight picture, and load the gun in preparation for the string of fire. Developing a consistent approach to these small, but important activities, will prepare you for success as you shoot the stage. Going through the routine on the shooting line transforms your mind and body from the casual observer mode into the focused competitor mode. It is important that as you develop a pre-shot routine, that it be used during practice and applied consistently as it is a learned skill, just like the other basic fundamentals.

Taking the time to develop and practice a personalized pre-shot routine will help prepare you for success on the shooting line. Good shooting!
www.bb-enterprise.biz
Old 11-25-2003, 00:07   #26
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

More GSSF TIPS #23-35

Topic hosted by Bobby Carver

Question:
When shooting any of the stages (especially the "Five to Glock"), at what point during recoil do you begin to press the trigger again for the next shot? Do you wait until the sight picture is perfect, or do you begin to press when the sight picture is close?

Response
I will address each question separately.

The first part..."at what point during recoil do you begin to press the trigger again for the next shot?

I follow the basic safety rule of shooting....I don't squeeze the trigger until my target is in front of my sights. At the end of the recoil cycle, when the front sight is realligned, I will release the trigger until the striker is reset. I do not release the trigger the full length of the reset, but only until the striker resets. Controlling your trigger, reducing the amount of finger and trigger movement is important to manage your shots in a consistent manner. "I do not release my trigger to reset it until I'm ready to shoot again. I hold the trigger to the rear after each shot, until I'm ready to shoot the next shot. This method may seem awkward at first but if you practice holding the trigger to the rear and then release it when ready to shoot, you will see improved shot placement.

With ample practice, I have learned how to control my trigger pull so that whenever my target is in my sights, I'm ready to break the trigger or release the striker to fire the round aimed at the target.
Consistent dry firing will train you to control your trigger without releasing the trigger to its initial stage.

The second part..."Do you wait until the sight picture is perfect, or do you begin to press when the sight picture is close?"

I wait until the sight picture is perfect. If I can't see the correct target or sight alignment, I hold the trigger until the sights are aligned correctly or I can see my target correctly. Under no circumstances should you "anticipate" your target.....wait until its visible and you feel that you are going to hit your target.

The next time that you practice, hold the trigger to the rear after the first shot, when the sights are realigned and you can see the target and sight picture clearly, release the trigger until it resets, then pull straight back for your second shot, THEN move your shoulders and handgun to the next target, THEN release the trigger to a reset and when the sights are aligned, pull the trigger straight back, etc.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me. Remember, "there's no replacement for practice to improve your shooting skills."
www.bb-enterprise.biz
Old 12-25-2003, 23:42   #27
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

More GSSF Tips #24-35

Hosted by Bobby Carver

Question
Practice without a purpose is just wasting time and ammo, right? So, what skills/areas do you practice (low-ready to first shot; splits and transitions; precision/Groups) and how (dry, live, and on a 'straight ahead only' indoor range for those who can't set up stages)?

Response:
You’re correct, “practice without a purpose IS just wasting time and ammo." It’s important to have an objective to achieve each time that you practice. Your objective maybe as simple as getting use to the “feel” of the recoil if you haven’t shot in a very long time. I’m listing below some primary objectives you may wish to accomplish with some of your practices:

• Sight and alignment
• Trigger control
• Stance
• Grip

Now these objectives look familiar don’t they? They are 4 of the most important basic objectives of accurate shooting. Now, some more advanced objectives you may wish to achieve, using all of the above:

• Double tap shots at 5 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards, 20 yards and 25 yards, measuring the accuracy of the “second” shot
• First shot accuracy and speed
• Transitions from target 1 to target 2, measuring the time from the last shot on target 1 to the first shot on target 2.
• Plate shooting, putting emphasis on the 2’nd shot or 3’rd or 4’th or 5’th or 6’th.
• 5 to Glock
• Glock M

It’s important to have an objective whenever you practice with live ammo at a range, indoor or outside, but you can also modify these objectives by developing objectives from “dry firing” indoors or outside. “Dry firing” objectives could be:
• Trigger control by watching the front sight to make sure that it does not move when you squeeze the trigger and the striker falls
• Using the “par time” option on your timer, setting it to 1.0 seconds or less, practice achieving your first shot by dry firing from the low ready position
• Transition practicing by setting your timer on “par time” at ,50 or less. Have two sighting spots on your wall and begin aiming at the first spot, when the first “beep” is heard, transition or swing to the second spot and squeeze the trigger BEFORE the second beep. (Notice what happens to your front sight when you squeeze the trigger) Make adjustments to the par time as required.

So, what skills/areas do you practice (low-ready to first shot; splits and transitions; precision/Groups)

The objective of my practices depends upon the area I need to improve. I believe that you need to analyze your shooting, breaking it down into first shots, splits, transitions and groups. These 4 areas of technique require different practice skills to improve. I will shoot through each match, 5 to Glock, Glock M and the plates a few times, analyzing these 4 segments of my technique. For example, I will shoot the 5 to Glock and will microanalyze each shot on the timer. If you have EXCEL, email me for a worksheet to be used for analyzing your shots.

After you have recorded your times from the timer, calculate your Splits and Transitions, then record the score with a description of the area where your hits were. Once you have developed this chart for each run, then decide what you need to work on. From this example, I would want to focus upon using more time on my second transition and third split to improve my hits on the 3’rd target, so I may choose to focus upon shooting targets at that distance more than trying to shoot all of the targets. I would focus upon improving my groups and accuracy by slowing down. (This is just an example)

Once you have analyzed the results of your shooting, then choose the area or areas that you need to focus upon for that practice session or for the “next” practice session. If you are planning your practice sessions, also plan how much time you plan to practice and how many rounds you will need to achieve your objective. Avoid trying to achieve more objectives than you have ammo and time to complete. This will set you up for failure and will frustrate you when you feel like you need more work and you are either out of time or ammo or both.

…..and how (dry, live, and on a 'straight ahead only' indoor range for those who can't set up stages)?

I suggest that you try to accomplish as many objectives from your analysis from “dry firing” that’s possible. Why? Well, it’s cheap and you can do it at home or at the range, depending upon your time or choice.

If you are practicing at an “indoor range” that has shooting lanes, you will need to be creative to accomplish your objectives. After analyzing the segment of your shooting that needs more work, plan how you can practice that segment at that range. For example:

If you are wanting to practice on transitions when shooting the Glock M and you have found that the targets that you score worse on are the 20 yard targets, position your target “heads on” at 20 yards and practice, at the sound of the beep of your timer, “shadow shooting” the first target the steel and then shoot the paper target at 20 yards with two shots. Then try it from the other direction, left to right or right to left.

I do some practice at an indoor range and the owner will allow me to use multiple shooting lanes, when he is not busy. I will station myself in the center lane and will send a target downrange from two other lanes and practice the 20 yard targets just like I would see them in a full scale setup. This is possible when shooting the 5 to Glock by putting the target “straight ahead” at 25 yards, then the lane to the right of you, position a target at 20 yards and the lane to the left of your lane, position a target at 15 yards. (As we all know, these are the most difficult). You may even ask the range’s owner when his business is the slowest and ask him if you could setup up multiple targets to practice during those times. I have found that most range owners will work with you. Remember, they are in business to sell range time and ammo, etc.

I hope that these “tips” have addressed your inquiries. In summary, analyze the area that you feel that you need to work on and focus upon that using the amount of time, ammo and setup possible. If you have questions, please feel free to email me at carvermounts@msn.com.
www.bb-enterprise.biz
Old 04-02-2004, 20:41   #28
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

GSSF Tip #25-#35

There are only 10 more tips to complete our GSSF Tips report that remain address. For the course of the next few weeks, these will be completed so that the original 35 questions by GSSF competitors will be responded to.

Topic #25 hosted by Bobby Carver
How do you handle a malfunction? Do you ask for a re-shoot immediately (assuming factory ammo)?

Response
GSSF warranties the dependability of all "stock" Glock handguns by providing a reshoot of any GSSF stage where a jam or failure to fire occurred as long as the competitor is using factory ammunition. The exception to this rule is applied if the competitor is using a modified or customized Glock in the Unlimited Class. Since the handgun has been modified, Glock cannot warranty the functioning of their handgun so the "reshoot" rule does not apply. If you are shooting a Glock with the allowed modifications to maintain the status of a "stock" Glock, according the rule book, in the Unlimited and are using factory ammunition, you would qualify for a reshoot if a jam or failure to fire occurs.

In most cases, you will be allowed to reshoot each string up to and including the string of fire where the jam or FTF (Failure to Fire) occurred. An exception to this statement would be the plates. If you had already shot 3 strings and your jam or FTF occurred on the 4'th string, you would be allowed to refire the 4'th string.

Now that we have cleared the air on what is allowed for a reshoot and why, I'll address the questions:

A. How do you handle a malfunction?

I'm going to address this question in two parts:
A. GSSF Competition
B. NonGSSF Competition

GSSF Competition
If I'm using factory ammo and a "stock status" Glock:

1. With my Glock pointed downrange, I drop my magazine, clear the jam or unfired round and lock my slide back, laying the Glock on the table or shelf in front of me.
2. With my Glock laying on the shelf or table, I turn to the RO and explain that I am shooting factory ammunition and wait for them to declare my handgun as "safe".
3. I then ask the RO if I can reshoot.
4. If the jam or malfunction appears to be more than "bad ammo", I ask the RO for my score sheet and request for them to sign off that I had a jam, etc. and mark Reshoot on the sheet, signing it.
5. I would then proceed to the Armorer for them to check out my Glock before reshooting.

If I'm using handloaded ammo and/or a "nonstock status" Glock:

1. With my Glock pointed downrange, I drop my magazine, clear the jam or unfired round and reseat the same magazine or a spare loaded magazine.
2. Assume shooting the target or targets that I failed to engage prior to the malfunction.

NonGSSF Competition

1. With my Glock pointed downrange, I drop my magazine, clear the jam or unfired round and reseat the same magazine or a spare loaded magazine.
2. Assume shooting the target or targets that I failed to engage prior to the malfunction.

Please note: Since I shoot all handloaded ammunition, I always leave at least one "extra" loaded magazine on the table or shelf in front of me for reloads should I have a malfunction, etc.

B. Do you ask for a re-shoot immediately (assuming factory ammo)?
Yes, if I'm using a "stock status" Glock.

Please remember that most R.O.'s that are serving our needs and pleasures at a GSSF match are volunteers and some have had no prior experience in R.O.'ing and may not remember the part of orientation where Chris, Scott or Dave explained that reshoots are allowed for malfunctions or misfires of "factory ammo". If the R.O. says that that's not allowed, just explain they are or show them your Glock Report or ask for your score sheet and take it to the Match Director (Chris, Scott or Dave) and explain the question. Disputing the R.O.'s declaration will not solve your issue but "raise your blood pressure".

Whenever a malfunction or misfire occurs during any shooting competition, remember the first Priority at hand is keeping your muzzle pointed downrange in a SAFE state and the second thing to remember is handling the handgun SAFELY to avoid any harm to you, your R.O. or other competitors.

Check back soon for more GSSF Tips and "shoot safely" while having fun.

Thank you,
Bobby Carver
Old 05-29-2005, 21:25   #29
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

GSSF Tip #26-35

In an effort to complete the GSSF Tips section, a new tip is being provided.

GSSF tip #26 hosted by Bobby Carver

What's the best method to use for the "new" GSSF start position?

I have received many emails from GSSF competitors asking me this question. In an effort to summarize some of the tips that I have shared with others, I'll list what I believe are the some important principles to consider using the new start position.

The new start position is defined as, "firearm held in hands with muzzle pointed into berm, no higher than parallel to the ground or lower with the competitor's elbows touching rib cage."

The former starting position, with firearm lowered at a 45 degree angle, allowed the shooter to lock in their shooting arm and shoulders so that whenever you were given the start signal, you could easily raise the muzzle and you were locked into the your shooting position. The "new" start position may not allow you to lock in until you have extended your arms and locked in your elbow. I recommend the following:

1. When you are given the command to "take a sight picture with an unloaded weapon", take that opportunity to position your feet and using the "new" start position, push the firearm toward the first target that you will shoot and then swing to the last target. If you feel that you are strained, reposition your feet to allow a stable shooting position on the last target.

2. Make sure that your grip is stable and that your trigger finger is outside the trigger bar with easy access to the trigger as soon as you are given the start signal and your firearm is on target.

3. Look at the target, where you want to shoot and remain looking at that spot on the target, while you are resuming your start position.

4. Since you can hold the firearm muzzle parallel to the ground, you may find that position will allow you to smoothly push your elbows from your side forward to the first target.

You may find that the "new" start position is a smoother more consistent start method than previously used. After some practice and "muscle memory", you will successfully execute a quick and accurate first shot.

I'll look forward to seein you on the range,
Bobby Carver
www.bb-enterprise.biz
Old 10-11-2007, 19:00   #30
DannyR

Updated 10/11/07 to hopefully prevent data loss.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote