SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2014, 18:26   #1
Ron 1738

Gen 1 extractor ?

Guys,
I have an early first Gen Glock 17 and I'm having trouble finding the correct extractor for it.
The weapon was made in Austria and I believe it was purchased in 1988 or 89.
Any help will be appreciated.
The pic is of the original extractor with a cutout bottom. The other is the replacement extractor that causes the gun's trigger and slide to stick.
General Glocking

The older I get, the better I was.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Ron 1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 20:38   #2
DJ Niner

Ron,

Have the innards in your Glock been replaced with the newer "safety update" parts?

I think the problem is, that individual older slide parts cannot be replaced with newer parts unless the parts that work together (extractor, firing pin, firing pin safety, springs, etc.) are all replaced with parts from the same approximate era. It sounds like the newer extractor is binding the firing pin safety (plunger and spring in the bottom of the slide), and because the safety plunger cannot move freely, it is jamming the trigger and slide when the slide moves into or out of battery.

I'd recommend getting a Glock armorer to inspect it, or sending it back to the factory for an inspection and upgrade. You'll lose the older internal original parts if you do this, but you'll get back a Glock that is functioning properly and is safe to shoot.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-02-2014 at 20:39..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 21:04   #3
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Yup, the new extractor doesn't play well with the other old parts.

Next weekend there is a GSSF match at Park City, KY.....if you can get there, I would expect to find a factory armorer there who can install the upgrade parts while you wait, and free. I plan to be there Sunday....I believe I have an upgrade parts kit I can bring just in case, but the armorer should have one.
General Glocking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 21:46   #4
GSD17
Thread Killer

If the gun has all of it's original parts - I have some 1st Gen extractors, like you have pictured there.

I'll sell you one reasonably if you are interested. Just PM me. . . or e-mail me directly. ki4fkw@aol.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- I will trade parts for full cap G17 magazines.
GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
GSD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:31   #5
Ron 1738

DJ Niner,
Unfortunately I inherited this from a family member who has passed so I have no way of asking him that question. However, it does appear to be all original except for my new extractor and a firing pin. No problem when I changed the firing pin.

Butch,
Great pics that really show the difference in the early Glocks compared to the new replacement parts.

GSD 17,
Since I would like to keep this weapon as original as possible out of respect for the family member whom I acquired the pistol from I will take you up on your generous offer for the original replacement extractor. Sending email.

I want to thank all of you for helping me find the solution to this problem. I was getting very frustrated and the parts people could not help.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:01   #6
roadkill46

yeah the 7 parts were made to be put in all at once, but the firing pin basically just has a different 'pointy end'. I have kept mine all stock since it saw almost no use since 1986 and there is NO WAY i'd send it back to GA! one of my favorite carry guns, so thin, or so it seems, and is a laser beam! Good Guy GSD17 for offering up the parts!
roadkill46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11   #7
Ron 1738

roadkill46,

I certainly would love to keep this as stock as possible and it was awfully nice of GSD17 to make the offer to help me do just that. I haven't been shooting the weapon since my son-in-law was killed in 2001 but I wanted to take it out to the range to make sure that it worked properly. I think that the extractor is the only part that I will need to make this antique shoot. I love the pistol.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:09   #8
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron 1738 View Post
roadkill46,

I certainly would love to keep this as stock as possible and it was awfully nice of GSD17 to make the offer to help me do just that. I haven't been shooting the weapon since my son-in-law was killed in 2001 but I wanted to take it out to the range to make sure that it worked properly. I think that the extractor is the only part that I will need to make this antique shoot. I love the pistol.
GSD17 helped many people out with spare parts in the past,a Big thank You to him. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote