NRA News Conference Video and Transcript

I think he did very well up there.

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/21/nra-n...-am-est-video/

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 13:51   #2
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

This is the first time I've read the entire transcript.

This plan has very good potential to take meaningful action to reduce the number of attacks on schools; and reduce the severity of attacks on schools if they do occur. This is not unlike the plan implemented in Israel (and Thailand, IIRC) which has proven effective.

Now that an organization is willing to sponsor a true security plan based on sound principles that have been proven to work, as opposed to failed laws and legislation, we will see how serious the current administration is about protecting our students - and not promoting a political agenda.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 12-21-2012 at 13:52..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 17:50   #3
Schrag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
This is the first time I've read the entire transcript.

This plan has very good potential to take meaningful action to reduce the number of attacks on schools; and reduce the severity of attacks on schools if they do occur. This is not unlike the plan implemented in Israel (and Thailand, IIRC) which has proven effective.

Now that an organization is willing to sponsor a true security plan based on sound principles that have been proven to work, as opposed to failed laws and legislation, we will see how serious the current administration is about protecting our students - and not promoting a political agenda.
I read the transcript and all I have to say is "Amen." I think the plan has about a snowball's chance in hell of getting implemented anytime soon, but this is good because it shows they're really willing to do something that actually works, and as you say, it puts the ball in the left's court. Gun control can only work theoretically decades after all guns are confiscated (nothing magical about military style weapons), not nearly fast enough for hysterical parents. This plan could work NOW. Surely many parents who let emotion drive their policy decisions can get behind a plan that will work to protect their children now instead of maybe protecting their grandchildren, maybe.
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 00:10   #4
Boot Stomper

Great speech and great ideas. Thank you NRA.

Join today.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...0&hid=19841700
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01   #5
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

In our area we have had armed police in our schools for decades. They're called School Resource Officers or SROs. They're not in every school, but mainly in the high schools and middle schools. Not only do they guard against bad guys, but they also investigate thefts, drugs, assaults and other crimes by students and others on campus.

My city has Reserve Police Officers who are fully trained, commissioned and armed LEOs. The only difference is that they are not paid. They are citizen volunteers who often pay for their own uniforms and guns. The city foots the bill to send them to the accademy and keep up with their re-qual training. They have to go through the same screening and supervision as paid LEOs. These RPOs have all the same arrest powers as a paid LEO. Having these guys and gals in the schools would be minimal cost to the city.

Letting teachers who hold CHL carry at work is also a great idea. I'm sure that some teachers would paid the cost to become POST certified in firearms.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote