Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2012, 20:49   #1
Trapped_in_Kali

G29 or G20L?

Well I've got a little X-Mas bonus $$ burning a hole in my pocket and I'm thinking of getting a G29 or building a G20L but I'm undecided.
I've got a G20SF but I'm not a Glock "Cool-Aid Drinker" and the only reason I bought Glock is the availability of the G20 vs. other 10mm here in Kali and the aftermarket support (easy availability of conversion barrels & accessories).
The G29 would be a good carry piece when I'm out of state but CCWs are almost impossible to get here in Lost Angels County so it would not be an everyday CC.
I really like long slides but I could get a whole gun for the price of the parts to build a long slide upper plus buying a second G20 lower adds another $250.00.
OR should I just order an extra 1,000 rounds of Underwood ammo?
Or should I get a new 9mm for plinking?
Your thoughts?
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 21:50   #2
LeMat
Jellybaby?

Keep what you have. Buy ammo or start reloading.

That's my opinion anyway, worth about as much as you paid for it.
The 10 Ring #1300
LeMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 22:28   #3
bac1023

I'd go with a 9mm if you don't have one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 23:26   #4
blastfact

If you want to shoot 10mm. And you can buy a 20 or 29. What's the problem? If you want to shoot 10mm and want to get a fist full of 10mm. Glock has been supporting the round. Others have come and gone and came back. But when Glock said,,, " We can do that and we got your back. " I knew what I was going to buy for my 2nd 10mm. My DE did not impress me.

Go get you some. Myself and others will be grinning like hell when you post your first range report......
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 23:35   #5
Trapped_in_Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I'd go with a 9mm if you don't have one.
I've got an old S&W 39-1 with an 8 round clip so a modern 9mm for the range would be nice.
Old 12-21-2012, 23:37   #6
blastfact

clip????? please....
Old 12-21-2012, 23:41   #7
Trapped_in_Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
If you want to shoot 10mm. And you can buy a 20 or 29. What's the problem? If you want to shoot 10mm and want to get a fist full of 10mm. Glock has been supporting the round. Others have come and gone and came back. But when Glock said,,, " We can do that and we got your back. " I knew what I was going to buy for my 2nd 10mm. My DE did not impress me.

Go get you some. Myself and others will be grinning like hell when you post your first range report......
I've got a G20SF but would like to eventually add a long slide & a compact.

I'm just debating what to get next.

I'm leaning towards ordering the 6" barrel, a 9x25 barrel & ammo.

I'll order the slide later.
Old 12-22-2012, 00:40   #8
leadslinger13

I have 9 and 40 conversion barrels and a long slide as well as a 22long conversions. Like the long slide the best. Take your time and buy the parts slowly it won't hurt the Bill fold as much.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Last edited by leadslinger13; 12-22-2012 at 18:58..
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15   #9
TDC20

I agree with LeMat. If you shoot a lot of 10mm or want to shoot a lot of 10mm, now is the time to consider reloading. For what you would pay for 1000 rds of Underwood, you could get a pretty nice setup and probably have enough money left over for at least a couple hundred rounds worth of components. It's certainly worth entertaining the thought and pricing it out. You may be surprised.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36   #10
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
I agree with LeMat. If you shoot a lot of 10mm or want to shoot a lot of 10mm, now is the time to consider reloading. For what you would pay for 1000 rds of Underwood, you could get a pretty nice setup and probably have enough money left over for at least a couple hundred rounds worth of components. It's certainly worth entertaining the thought and pricing it out. You may be surprised.
Good advice. I recently bought everything needed to reload my 10s and I couldn't be happier. What a kick! I understand the need to buy another gun OP, but in your situation where CCW isn't an option, why bother with the G29? I might have gone with only the 29 as a do-it-all weapon, but you have your 20, so now you just need to feed it. With all that's happening to guns and ammo in the political field right now, there couldn't be a smarter investment.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:13   #11
Chainlink

I love my 29 and carry it for most of my ccw needs....love my 20 too.... A longslide would be great......ammo is a concern also

All things considered, I would get the 29sf

Last edited by Chainlink; 12-22-2012 at 10:14..
Chainlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 18:57   #12
leadslinger13

ammo is always going to be a concern until larger manufactures get on board. Still it will be exspensive and under powered unless you buy underwood. reloading is the way to go so the investement is well worth the effort if you are dedicated to the 10 mm round or shooting in general. reloading will pay for itself in the long run and will definetly help with ammo cost for most calibers.
reloading is another great aspect of the shooting sport an interesting fun hobby.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 18:59   #13
Airborne Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_in_Kali View Post
I've got an old S&W 39-1 with an 8 round clip so a modern 9mm for the range would be nice.
I believe the proper term is "magazine".
Airborne Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 22:04   #14
Trapped_in_Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
clip????? please....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Renegade View Post
I believe the proper term is "magazine".

I know, I know.... It was a brain fart. I hate it when others call mags clips and I did it myself.

I was in a hurry & distracted when I posted.
Old 12-22-2012, 22:16   #15
Trapped_in_Kali

At this time I literally have NO space to reload at home, All available space is used by my wife & my home business http://www.redifredi.com/ . I MAY be able to make some room to do it at my day job but it would not be an optimum space.
Right now I only have time to hit the range once a week & knock off 100-200 rounds each time so ammo cost isn't that high. If I lived where I could shoot more frequently and had the space I'd get back into reloading (Haven't reloaded since the 70's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
Good advice. I recently bought everything needed to reload my 10s and I couldn't be happier. What a kick! I understand the need to buy another gun OP, but in your situation where CCW isn't an option, why bother with the G29? I might have gone with only the 29 as a do-it-all weapon, but you have your 20, so now you just need to feed it. With all that's happening to guns and ammo in the political field right now, there couldn't be a smarter investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadslinger13 View Post
ammo is always going to be a concern until larger manufactures get on board. Still it will be exspensive and under powered unless you buy underwood. reloading is the way to go so the investement is well worth the effort if you are dedicated to the 10 mm round or shooting in general. reloading will pay for itself in the long run and will definetly help with ammo cost for most calibers.
reloading is another great aspect of the shooting sport an interesting fun hobby.
Old 12-22-2012, 23:09   #16
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMat View Post

This^^^^^^ If you can't carry in your home state, when you leave for elsewhere, the 20 will fill the bill just fine! Stockpile, enable future feeding, be prepared.
Old 12-24-2012, 22:11   #17
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I'd say the best way to spend that cash would be in a reloading setup. Lee Classic Cast 4-Hole Turret kit and a few extras.... Best investment I EVER made for shooting.... I only wish I hadn't waited that long.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 22:28   #18
Chainlink

Reloading space isn't hard to come by if you keep it simple s. I have a tool box that is geared towards 9mm 40 sw and 10mm, choose powder wisely hit all 3. Plus my 40 and 10 reload most of the same projectiles. Use a lee hand press, yes slow but it's great for a moblie set up. Holds bullets, press, primers, powder, scales, misc tools, dies, have been actually pretty happy with this set up. My life since divorce had to scale down....yes not as nice as a dedicated station but satisfying just the same.

Downsides are cleaning brass....that can't come with easily and storage of brass. I keep a slightly larger box elsewhere for reloading my reload box...... if that makes sense. If i dedicated to only 1 caliber I could probably easily do 500 rounds including brass in the small carry set up.
Chainlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 20:50   #19
rdm1962

I just got my first Glock, a G20C. I shoot reloads only. When I looked at the cost of factory ammo verses reloading components, I will get a lot more shooting for the same money. I reload for 21 different calibers. If I buy a brand new weapon it will only be fed my reloads. Get into reloading now and you will get a lot more bang for your buck in the long run.
rdm1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 21:24   #20
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_in_Kali View Post
I've got a G20SF but would like to eventually add a long slide & a compact.

I'm just debating what to get next.

I'm leaning towards ordering the 6" barrel, a 9x25 barrel & ammo.

I'll order the slide later.
Just do it. There are no wrongs in your thought path other than being in the LA Basin,,,, Sorry about that. And only you can change that part. ( I use to live in Fountain Valley,,,, Thank God I got out. ) Only one blood family member is left out there. And she is waking up. It's funny has hell when her long term BF comes home with her. Really frickin funny... LMAO!

I have passed on many 29's and we can conceal or open carry here as long as you have given the gov. your money and taken there stupid class. A LGS I was at today had G29's 3rd Gen out the door for $549. That included tax, transfer and check. I passed as the throngs of idiots were still in there panic feeding mode. The place was packed.

What has killed the over all urge for a 29 is I just got a full .357 Sig old school conversion for my PF-9. The holy trinity is a PF-9 in 9mm, 40 Smith and .357 Sig. I could careless about the useless .40 Smith. But .357 Sig out of a PF-9 is like the ultimate flat small cc.