Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:29   #41
G115BA

Still winning

Last edited by G115BA; 01-14-2013 at 05:29..
G115BA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39   #42
Bren
NRA Life Member

They start out by claiming the Bushmaster was found in Lanza's car...here go the conspiracy nuts again.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18   #43
PzGren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
They start out by claiming the Bushmaster was found in Lanza's car...here go the conspiracy nuts again.
Talking about conspiracy, my son just pointed out how stranbge he finds the recent accumulation of mass murders with firearms.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35   #44
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_glock View Post
I voted "No." though it's not exactly true. The bushy AR-15 absolutely fits the definition of "assault weapon" put forth by our legislators.
It asked for an opinion - Do you consider the Bushmaster .223 an assault weapon?

I believe assault weapon is a fictional term used in Newspeak to support a political agenda - I don't consider any firearm an assault weapon.

I am not obligated to agree with my legislators' opinions on word definitions, especially of terms they invented for a political purpose. Whether I disagree that the bushmaster fits the legislated definition of "assault weapon" or whether I disagree that such a thing exists, the answer is still clearly no. The only way of answering "yes" would be if I agree with both the validity of the term "assault weapon" AND that the Bushmaster fits it.

If it asked, does the Bushmaster .223 match the definition of "assault weapon" set out in __________ (one of many various gun coontrol laws)" the answer might be different.

Last edited by Bren; 01-14-2013 at 08:39..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43   #45
PzGren

The term assault weapon comes from the German term Sturmgewehr, the first one was the Stgw 44. It is the designation for a select fire weapon that does not fire a major battle rifle round. The StGw44 was an 8x33, compared to the standard 8x57IS.

The AK47 was patterned after it and started the trend.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50   #46
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzGren View Post
Talking about conspiracy, my son just pointed out how stranbge he finds the recent accumulation of mass murders with firearms.
Point out to him that there is no "recent accumulation of mass murders with firearms" - not even really much of a bump. His perception is being shaped by what, and how often, the press reports it - reality hasn't changed, just what he thinks reality is, outside hius direct experience.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56   #47
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzGren View Post
The term assault weapon comes from the German term Sturmgewehr, the first one was the Stgw 44. It is the designation for a select fire weapon that does not fire a major battle rifle round. The StGw44 was an 8x33, compared to the standard 8x57IS.

The AK47 was patterned after it and started the trend.
No, the term "assault rifle" which actual shooters use, comes from the Sturmgewehr 44, which actually means "storm rifle" but after the Germans invented the concept, english-speakers used "assault" in place of "storm." It is usually abbreviated STG or StG.

"Assault weapon" comes from a 1988 anti-gun book called "Assault Weapons and Accessories in America".

Last edited by Bren; 01-14-2013 at 12:58..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:34   #48
PzGren

Quote:
No, the term "assault rifle" which actual shooters use, comes from the Sturmgewehr 44, which actually means "storm rifle" but after the Germans invented the concept, english-speakers used "assault" in place of "storm." It is usually abbreviated STG or StG.

"Assault weapon" comes from a 1988 anti-gun book called "Assault Weapons and Accessories in America".
In the German speaking part of the world, it is abbreviated as StGw. Das kannst du mir schon glauben.
Old 01-14-2013, 23:33   #49
NOLA_glock
Shrug Life

Quote:
It asked for an opinion - Do you consider the Bushmaster .223 an assault weapon?

I believe assault weapon is a fictional term used in Newspeak to support a political agenda - I don't consider any firearm an assault weapon.

I am not obligated to agree with my legislators' opinions on word definitions, especially of terms they invented for a political purpose. Whether I disagree that the bushmaster fits the legislated definition of "assault weapon" or whether I disagree that such a thing exists, the answer is still clearly no. The only way of answering "yes" would be if I agree with both the validity of the term "assault weapon" AND that the Bushmaster fits it.

If it asked, does the Bushmaster .223 match the definition of "assault weapon" set out in __________ (one of many various gun coontrol laws)" the answer might be different.

We agree. And I suppose you're right. I believe that it is an assault weapon as they have defined it, but since I believe the term to be arbitrary, I cannot say that I consider anything an "assault weapon". That was the question, after all, as you've reminded me.

Brain fart.

ಠ_ಠ
NOLA_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 23:49   #50
cesaros

Voted. 69% NO

I've never Assaulted anything with a weapon...therefore the term Assault Rifle/Weapon doesn't exsist to me

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:48   #51
SpeckTX

Better late than never. No.
SpeckTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 13:35   #52
captcurly

The got my NO vote. Thanks for the heads up on this poll.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 20:29   #53
G36shooter

Voted NO, did you read the caption? 'like the rifle found in Adam Lanzas car' so if the rifle was in the car how did he shoot his victims with a .223 rifle?
G36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 20:56   #54
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Done.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 21:30   #55
WIMPY

70% to 29% for us. 1/17 2129
WIMPY is offline   Reply With Quote