Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:10   #1
brausso

WTF NRA?? Keep LaPierre away from the media

This guy is an idiot. I've heard him speak a few times now and I can't believe this is the guy the NRA chooses to go in front of a camera. He's slow and doesn't have an ounce of wit. Spewing the same crap about violent video games for the last two decades ain't going to cut it.

If he's the guy that's supposed to help ease the mindset of people, then forget it. It's over before it even started.

Last friday when he said "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". That's just not the type of thing to say fresh off of 20 kids getting slaughtered. Unbelievable.

Last edited by brausso; 12-23-2012 at 09:18..
brausso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13   #2
Atlas
transmogrifier

I agree they need a more qualified PR person for public appearances.

And when LaPierre does appear before the press they need to get for him a suit that fits.
In fact, the NRA should hire a wardrobe consultant.

This stuff matters.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:17   #3
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

The NRA needs a much more personable man as the public face of their organization. LaPierre didn't smile one time during the interview on MTP. He just doesn't seem like a likable guy to me.

I have seen him interviewed at different pro-gun events/expos and his demeanor is completely different. I think it's the pressure of these interviews and speeches, where he knows he will be up against anti-gun opposition, that makes him put up a wall and offer no glimpse of a personality.

Last edited by Fear Night; 12-23-2012 at 09:21..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20   #4
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

And he defends one thing i love by attacking another thing i love. And sends tons of junk mail. what a tool.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21   #5
Bruce M

I met him once perhaps a decade ago and he seemed very friendly and personable; different than he appears on television.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21   #6
4949shooter

The video game item on the agenda was mentioned for deflection purposes, I think. He was trying to deflect the issue away from guns onto video games. So what's the answer, outlaw video games?

It doesn't make sense.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:27   #7
13 ROMEO
2nd Armored Cav

He is too passive imho. He closes his eyes for way too long when he speaks,like he is trying to show compassion and reverance in everything he says. I need someone a little more upright and forceful,and yes he needs a suit that fits!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33   #8
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
The video game item on the agenda was mentioned for deflection purposes, I think. He was trying to deflect the issue away from guns onto video games. So what's the answer, outlaw video games?

It doesn't make sense.
As a society - and we are different from Japan or France, or Sweden, or Israel or South Africa, Britian, etc etc...

IN ADDITION to looking at means and ways in which we can possibly diminish the ability of the mentally unstable from acquiring guns we also...
  • As a society we need to invest some pragmatic, scientific study in how violent video games affect our developing minds.
  • We need to investigate how these games affect those who are already on, or may be on the cusp of mental instability
  • We need to take that same detached analytical look at how saturating the media with the acts of these deranged or evil killers might spur other mentally deficient (or otherwise warped) to commit similar crimes.
So yes, I think it MUST distill down to a serious 1st Amendment and 2nd Amendment issue.

What do you think the reaction from game makers, Hollywood, the 4th estate and other luminaries of the 1st amendment would be if scientific study does point to some restraint on some of the things I have articulated above?

What if we find that the mere act of reporting these crimes ad naseum does have a measurable, tangible affect on that person going over the edge. In your opinion, would the "media" accept legislation to help the "greater good" of the nation?

How you doing in this season sir?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:37   #9
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
As a society - and we are different from Japan or France, or Sweden, or Israel or South Africa, Britian, etc etc...

IN ADDITION to looking at means and ways in which we can possibly diminish the ability of the mentally unstable from acquiring guns we also...
  • As a society we need to invest some pragmatic, scientific study in how violent video games affect our developing minds.
  • We need to investigate how these games affect those who are already on, or may be on the cusp of mental instability
  • We need to take that same detached analytical look at how saturating the media with the acts of these deranged or evil killers might spur other mentally deficient (or otherwise warped) to commit similar crimes.
So yes, I think it MUST distill down to a serious 1st Amendment and 2nd Amendment issue.

What do you think the reaction from game makers, Hollywood, the 4th estate and other luminaries of the 1st amendment would be if scientific study does point to some restraint on some of the things I have articulated above?

What if we find that the mere act of reporting these crimes ad naseum does have a measurable, tangible affect on that person going over the edge. In your opinion, would the "media" accept legislation to help the "greater good" of the nation?

How you doing in this season sir?
I know your questions are rhetorical, my friend. And they make valid points!

I have some herniated discs in my neck as of late. I'm not a happy camper.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40   #10
Rooster45ACP

You people are ridiculous. Please, after the recent events, what would you say up on that podium knowing you have to be sympathetic and protect our 2nd Amendment at the same time? I'm sure we would all love to see a stronger voice right now, but how can you without seeming insensitive to the matter? Then **** would really hit the fan for us! The voice will get stronger, and you need to give it a bit of time. Things don't just happen over night, it will take some time for anything to happen.. If anything did become of this ( Like a ban ) it has to go through a COURT SYSTEM, I don't care what Feinstein is putting on the table. More than half the **** won't even make it through the court system.. And as far as Obama's "executive order" still has to be voted upon.. So calm down folks, keep supporting our rights, and our 2nd Amendment!!!! It will get better!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:42   #11
paynter2
It ain't over

There's no reason for anyone of a conservative bent to appear on any MSM outlet - except maybe FOX. They simply become targets of opportunity.

If the MSM had to rely on people like me for their profits, they'd all go broke. I might watch a football game of CBS or NBC. But that's the only time any MSM network (sans Fox) is on in my house.

I do agree that the NRA should be able to find a better front man.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43   #12
Tango 1Zero

It is obvious the NRA should ellect a PR person for this job.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46   #13
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster45ACP View Post
You people are ridiculous. Please, after the recent events, what would you say up on that podium knowing you have to be sympathetic and protect our 2nd Amendment at the same time? I'm sure we would all love to see a stronger voice right now, but how can you without seeming insensitive to the matter? Then **** would really hit the fan for us! The voice will get stronger, and you need to give it a bit of time. Things don't just happen over night, it will take some time for anything to happen.. If anything did become of this ( Like a ban ) it has to go through a COURT SYSTEM, I don't care what Feinstein is putting on the table. More than half the **** won't even make it through the court system.. And as far as Obama's "executive order" still has to be voted upon.. So calm down folks, keep supporting our rights, and our 2nd Amendment!!!! It will get better!!!!
I agree him being sympathetic was a good thing. This is what we need right now.

I don't agree with him deflecting the gun issue onto video games though, and I am not a gamer (but my kids are).
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18   #14
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango 1Zero View Post

It is obvious the NRA should ellect a PR person for this job.
The NRA just needs another Charlton Heston.
Heston believed in the product he was trying to sell.

To Wayne LaPierre it's just a job, and right now he's probably wishing the whole thing would just go away.

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-23-2012 at 10:19..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23   #15
Dan_ntx

I also wish he were more well spoken...not fiery, not defensive, not stronger...just a better speaker with a more cohesive message.

He is quirky under fire and in pressure situations, and he seems to rely on the redirect hoping the attention will shift from gun violence (something the NRA is certainly not in favor of) to video games (another non interest of the NRA). It's a foolish and ineffective point to try and make.

Wayne needs to stick with the facts...the second amendment is still part of the constitution, there are millions of guns already out there so banning some configuration of what is already readily available is foolish and a waste of energy, and NO LAW being proposed would stop another shooting like the one that just happened in Newtown...the only practical course of action that would have a chance of saving lives would be to protect our schools like we protect our banks...with armed guards.

He knows that the first argument to "put a cop in every school" is money...so why doesn't he push that issue and offer some practical solutions to that obstacle. As a gun owner and NRA member I would be open to paying an extra $5 for my hunting/fishing license, or a $.05 per round I buy, I would even donate to the NRA if they created a fund where all the money went to pay for cops in schools. Offer some solutions Wayne, make them tell you why it won't work and then offer solutions to that.

He had a good, practical, actionable solution to elevate safety in schools and has abandoned it in favor of video games. Get with the program Wayne and get the best idea out there back up front. The only arguement they have with it is money...nobody argues that having a cop at every school makes it safer...and the money problem is not a huge issue when you represent a giant powerful organization like the NRA. Be a leader Wayne, solve the problem they are too closed minded to.

Last edited by Dan_ntx; 12-23-2012 at 10:29..
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24   #16
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster45ACP View Post
You people are ridiculous. ...

....I don't care what Feinstein is putting on the table. More than half the **** won't even make it through the court system.. And as far as Obama's "executive order" still has to be voted upon.. So calm down folks...

Yes. This is a great way to engage in meaningful dialogue. Insult the people you want talking to you.

The problem with your view is, there always a danger to our gun rights in attempts at legislation further restricting those rights.

1. What happens in DC often sets the tone for what happens at the state and local level.
  2. People all over buy into the crap that politicians are shoveling.
It is incumbent on us to always, enthusiastically refute false claims, no matter who make them - for or against us.

Only a foolish person would stand by and watch someone who they say is their advocate speak on their behalf, promulgating BS and do nothing of it.

Respectfully,

The Watcher.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34   #17
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

his mention of video games glorifiying the killing of children was to point out the hypocracy of the media and its apparent pass they give to tasteless games marketed to our youth.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:35   #18
Dan_ntx

To push the funding of cops in school further...

How about changing my tax form...instead of donating to a campaign for president why not asking the public to donate to keeping kids safe by having cops in schools? Does anyone actually check that box?

I bet they would if the money went to something that made sense.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38   #19
ysr_racer

I missed it. Is it online anywhere?
ysr_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43   #20
Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
his mention of video games glorifiying the killing of children was to point out the hypocracy of the media and its apparent pass they give to tasteless games marketed to our youth.
Too subtle...I honestly don't think that side of the issue understood what he was going for. He was laying out a thinking man's arguement to a group of rabid dogs.

If he wanted to tie violent video games and their marketing to anything..He should try to tie them to the solution by challenging the makers of those games to help fund his solution.

The left hates private charity, and they hate guns, and they aren't crazy about video games... If the gun crowd and the video game crowd raised they money needed to fund a practical idea put forth by the NRA I think their heads would explode.

How can it be possible that a good idea can be born and implemented without .gov? In the left America it simply can't be done...but i believe it can (and should) happen today.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45   #21
Glockgeezer

IMHO Wayne was spot-on with violent video games and Hollywood movies. Not everyone knows the difference between the video world and reality these days. If nothing else, it desensitizes impressionable people to the consequences of violent behavior. How else can you explain mass shootings? Mental health is a catchall term for Sociopathic behavior.
Glockgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49   #22
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausso View Post
This guy is an idiot. I've heard him speak a few times now and I can't believe this is the guy the NRA chooses to go in front of a camera. He's slow and doesn't have an ounce of wit. Spewing the same crap about violent video games for the last two decades ain't going to cut it.

If he's the guy that's supposed to help ease the mindset of people, then forget it. It's over before it even started.

Last friday when he said "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". That's just not the type of thing to say fresh off of 20 kids getting slaughtered. Unbelievable.
You should probably just give up everything now. It is obvious you haven't the stomach to really step up or back those that do.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56   #23
Detectorist

In this age, it's all about perception. The nicer guy wins the hearts of folks. That's how Obama won.

We need a better spokesperson for the NRA. Maybe one of the Fox news hot chicks.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04   #24
brausso

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
You should probably just give up everything now. It is obvious you haven't the stomach to really step up or back those that do.
Really? You know what you're talking about since I joined as a lifetime member two days ago. Tell me about all the backing you do please
brausso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04   #25
FCastle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockgeezer View Post
IMHO Wayne was spot-on with violent video games and Hollywood movies. Not everyone knows the difference between the video world and reality these days. If nothing else, it desensitizes impressionable people to the consequences of violent behavior. How else can you explain mass shootings? Mental health is a catchall term for Sociopathic behavior.
Because mass killings NEVER happened before movies and videos games existed
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote