Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2012, 20:20   #1
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Tree damaged in blizzard. Will homeowners insurance cover it?

So i have a large tree in my backyard that was severely damaged in last weeks blizzard. No property damage has occurred yet but it will if the tree is not taken down in the correct manner. Since this is storm damage wouldnt my homeowners insurance cover the clean up? The estimate i have so far says 2k to bring it down.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 20:23   #2
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

clean up: yes, very likely so.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 20:24   #3
Resqu2

After a twister hit my sister-n-laws house and took out/damaged a bunch of trees her insurance payed to have them all cleaned up and removed. Can't see why you wouldn't be covered to?
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 20:25   #4
meathead19

Negative.

Sucks, I know. Call your agent for verification.

Last edited by meathead19; 12-23-2012 at 20:26..
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 20:27   #5
JDennis

I am thinking not. Without property damage it will not be covered.
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 20:30   #6
NickC50310

There was property damage. My tree was damaged.

Old 12-23-2012, 20:35   #7
sjfrellc
CLM Number 92
Charter Lifetime Member

Hazard insurance won't pay if damage was not done to you home or valuables.

http://blog.insure.com/2011/03/14/he...l-on-my-house/

Help, a tree fell on my house!
by Barbara Marquand under HOME INSURANCE
Falling trees are among the common hazards you could face as a homeowner during snow and ice storms, but the ins and outs of insurance coverage depend on the situation.

Generally, standard home insurance doesn’t pay for damage to trees, shrubs and other plants from a storm, according to the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI). But it does cover damage a falling tree causes to structures that are covered under the insurance policy.

Here’s how coverage would work under the following scenarios:

A tree in your neighbor’s yard fell over and broke a window in your house. File a claim under your home insurance policy. It should cover the damage and the cost to remove the tree.
A tree in your own yard fell on your detached garage and damaged the roof. Standard home insurance covers detached structures. The damage and removal of the tree would be covered under your policy.
A tree on your property fell on your neighbor’s house and caused damage. Your neighbor should file a claim under his or her insurance policy.
A large branch fell on your roof but caused no damage. Generally, home insurance would not provide coverage for the tree or the cost to remove it.
Your car was damaged when a tree fell onto your driveway. Comprehensive car insurance would provide coverage. Unlike liability insurance, which pays for damage you do to others when you cause a car accident, comprehensive coverage is optional. It pays for damage to your own vehicle from causes other than car accidents, such as vandalism, natural disasters, collisions with animals and theft.
PCI says if your home sustained damage from a falling tree, report it to your insurance agent as soon as possible to settle the claim quickly and accurately. Always keeping safety in mind, do what you can to protect your property from further damage or theft by making emergency repairs to cover openings, and keep receipts for anything you buy. Submit those to your insurance company when you make the claim. In addition, take photos of the damaged property as part of a complete inventory, and don’t throw anything away before checking with your insurance company, PCI advises.

Last edited by sjfrellc; 12-23-2012 at 20:36..
sjfrellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 20:40   #8
meathead19

You said NO property damage in your first post.

If you want, call obongo for some of his stash....he's got some left I'm sure.

Last edited by meathead19; 12-23-2012 at 20:43..
Old 12-23-2012, 20:48   #9
NickC50310

Lmao! One of my democrat friends suggested the same thing in jest. Ill call the insurance company and see what they say.

Old 12-23-2012, 20:49   #10
NickC50310

No property damage besides my tree i guess.

Old 12-23-2012, 20:55   #11
meathead19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
Lmao! One of my democrat friends suggested the same thing in jest. Ill call the insurance company and see what they say.

the joys of home ownership.
Old 12-23-2012, 20:56   #12
JDennis

Just throw something under the tree like a dog house and get the branch to fall the rest of the way damaging the dog house. But I was never the one that suggested it haha

Last edited by JDennis; 12-23-2012 at 20:57..
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 20:58   #13
jay-bird
goin' broke

Take photos and video. Prove it was storm damage. Call your agent. Can't hurt to ask - or at least go over your options.
jay-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 21:03   #14
meathead19

Keep us posted. I'd like to know what they say.
Old 12-23-2012, 23:53   #15
Hines57
Simple Member

No, has to damage a covered structure. House, garage, fence, pool etc.
Hines57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 23:59   #16
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
No, has to damage a covered structure. House, garage, fence, pool etc.
That's pretty much my understanding.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:11   #17
NIB

You would think that an insurance company would pay less to remove a tree that could cause a larger sum of monetary damage in the future. That is not always the case.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:03   #18
Officer X

Hope you don't have State Farm

During Sandy, a co worker had a very large tree get partially uprooted in his yard and it was hanging over his house. It looked like it could come down at any time and the angle potentially put his neighbor's house in jeopardy too. Tree company gave him an estimate in the $3,000 range to remove the tree, as I said, very large, hanging dangerously over the house.

State Farm informed him they would not pay for it as there was no property damage. If the tree were to fall and cause damage to the house, they would send an agent out but until then he was responsible for it.

He is looking for another insurance company now.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:05   #19
Hines57
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
State Farm informed him they would not pay for it as there was no property damage. If the tree were to fall and cause damage to the house, they would send an agent out but until then he was responsible for it.
Why should an insurance company pay for it? It didn't damage anything. Are they responsible for fixing things that may damage the home?
State Farm should have told your neighbor now that he sees that he has a problem, he better get it fixed. If he doesn't they will probably deny any damage that he may have from the tree falling.
Hines57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:40   #20
Rotn1

We just went through the same thing here north of Philly from "Sandy". The State Farm adjuster explained that if the tree had damaged the house or a structure you would be covered. Tree's damaged on their own with no colateral damage..... he said no.

There may be a grey area as to where taking down the tree WILL prevent future damage to the house.
You will argue it will be saving them money. They will argue it is your job to mitigate and avoid future damage.
Good luck.
Rotn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42   #21
Rotn1

OOOPPS just seen Officer X comments abover...... looks like they draw the line in the sand on this.
Rotn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53   #22
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
Hope you don't have State Farm

During Sandy, a co worker had a very large tree get partially uprooted in his yard and it was hanging over his house. It looked like it could come down at any time and the angle potentially put his neighbor's house in jeopardy too. Tree company gave him an estimate in the $3,000 range to remove the tree, as I said, very large, hanging dangerously over the house.

He is looking for another insurance company now.
Tell him to look away...most HO policies have the same common language for trees, so if he goes from X company to Y company, he will have the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotn1 View Post
We just went through the same thing here north of Philly from "Sandy". The State Farm adjuster explained that if the tree had damaged the house or a structure you would be covered. Tree's damaged on their own with no colateral damage..... he said no.

There may be a grey area as to where taking down the tree WILL prevent future damage to the house.
You will argue it will be saving them money. They will argue it is your job to mitigate and avoid future damage.
Good luck.
The argument is just that, an argument. The HO policy is a contract....they agree to cover certain things for compensation, the homeowner agrees to to certain things too...mitigation is one of them (within reason). If the tree is not damaged by a covered loss....there is no coverage.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:00   #23
Officer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines57 View Post
Why should an insurance company pay for it? It didn't damage anything. Are they responsible for fixing things that may damage the home?
State Farm should have told your neighbor now that he sees that he has a problem, he better get it fixed. If he doesn't they will probably deny any damage that he may have from the tree falling.
Re-read the OP's question again and you'll see that I am giving him an answer based on the experience of a person I know who had a similar situation.

Re-read my post again and you'll see that I mentioned nothing about any of my neighbors.

Reading comprehension.....
Old 12-24-2012, 09:03   #24
Officer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
Tell him to look away...most HO policies have the same common language for trees, so if he goes from X company to Y company, he will have the same results.

The argument is just that, an argument. The HO policy is a contract....they agree to cover certain things for compensation, the homeowner agrees to to certain things too...mitigation is one of them (within reason). If the tree is not damaged by a covered loss....there is no coverage.

red
According to what he told me: the agent he spoke with told him that the company would not pay anything to have the tree taken care of at the present time. He was then told that if the tree fell and caused damage, then they would send an agent out to check it. When he asked to clarify that they would not pay anything to have the tree taken care of before it fell and caused damage but would if it did, he was reportedly told that's the way the company works.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37   #25
NickC50310

I looked at the tree again this morning. Im pretty confident we can get it pulled down in a safe manner with the help of a few friends. I will let everyone know what happens!