GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2012, 22:26   #1
Adams454

Does anyone make training ammo that fails on purpose?

I'm thinking someone should make a line of ammo specifically for defensive training schools like Gunsite, etc. Maybe figure out how to load 10 rounds or so per 100 in a mixed bag with either dud primers, or barely enough powder to exit the barrel, but not cycle the gun. Of course it would have to be clearly marked for training only. But it seems like the random failures would actually help during a defensive course.

I'm sure you would have to figure out how to minimize the liability, like maybe anodize the brass red or something. But I'm thinking there wouldn't be a lot of liability because the only people buying it would know what it's for.

The reason I came up with the idea is because the guns I shoot regularly are so reliable, I don't get a lot of clearance practice. I've had my G27 for 5+ years and never had it jam.

One of you turds is about to get smacked in the mouth. - Texas Ranger Bobby
Adams454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:32   #2
HollowHead
Firm member

Why not just stick a .40 SnapCap in the stack? That's what they did in the Personal Protection course I took. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:36   #3
Adams454

I was thinking that would too off the person being trained. They would be looking for it in that mag. That's why I was thinking all the ammo should look the same.

One of you turds is about to get smacked in the mouth. - Texas Ranger Bobby
Adams454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:40   #4
Ohio Copper

Have someone else load all of your mags and add in a few snap caps.

Turn around and do 20 push-ups then stand and engage targets from contact distance. Each time you have a FTF; tap, rack and assess!

We do this in training every now and again and it's amazing that some folks panic.

Work the damn problem and stay in the fight!

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:42   #5
Evosil98

Snap caps has worked for me. But sometimes i have to close my eyes when i load my mags so I don't know which round it is.
Evosil98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:42   #6
smokin762

I vote for the snap caps too. Easier to identiy in a stressful situation.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:44   #7
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

Turn around and do 20 push-ups then stand and engage targets from contact distance.
You've never seen the guys at my range, have you? HH

Old 12-23-2012, 22:47   #8
Steve in PA

I mix dummy plastic rounds in my magazines all the time. I vary where the dummy round will be; second, third, next to last, etc. After loading the mags, I'll not look at them while putting them into my mag pouch. Yes, I know I loaded them with dummy rounds, but I have no idea where they are in a given mag.

Like the other poster mentioned, have someone else load your mags.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:47   #9
Kchur00

Bought a bullet puller and made my own dummy rounds from live ammo.

Mix them around in some ammo without looking and load a magazine before target practice. Just keep count of how many you mixed in.
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins." Sammy "The Bull" Gravano
Kchur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:51   #10
UtahIrishman
BLR

When I took the Appleseed course we had someone else load our mags with dummy rounds. It worked pretty well.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:53   #11
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchur00 View Post
Bought a bullet puller and made my own dummy rounds from live ammo.

Mix them around in some ammo without looking and load a magazine before target practice. Just keep count of how many you mixed in.
With my luck, I'll come up on one of my dummies when I need a real one most. You can't mistake red plastic... HH

Old 12-23-2012, 22:54   #12
Steve in PA

I sure hope you pulled the primer or fired it before reassembling the round.

A live primer will have enough force to lodged a bullet in your barrel. Been there, done that when I first started reloading. My one and only squib load in over 20 years of reloading (knock on wood).
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:55   #13
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

I think purposely manufacturing defect ammo, even if it's clear that there are defective rounds for training purposes is a bad idea. A squib could be disasterous.

Use snap-caps and have someone else load the mags.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:56   #14
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

The possibility of a hangfire in one of the "hot" training rounds would nix your idea. When doing action drills with snapcaps in a live ammo mag, SOMEONE on the line must know when the next round will be a dummy; an immediate action drill in training on a hangfire is dangerous.
Old 12-24-2012, 00:19   #15
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
You've never seen the guys at my range, have you? HH
If you're going to carry a gun and act in the defense of yourself and your family you should be in some sort of okay physical condition.

I'm not talking the elderly women carrying their husbands roscoes in their purse either.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:06   #16
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams454 View Post
I'm thinking someone should make a line of ammo specifically for defensive training schools like Gunsite, etc. Maybe figure out how to load 10 rounds or so per 100 in a mixed bag with either dud primers, or barely enough powder to exit the barrel, but not cycle the gun. Of course it would have to be clearly marked for training only. But it seems like the random failures would actually help during a defensive course.

I'm sure you would have to figure out how to minimize the liability, like maybe anodize the brass red or something. But I'm thinking there wouldn't be a lot of liability because the only people buying it would know what it's for.

The reason I came up with the idea is because the guns I shoot regularly are so reliable, I don't get a lot of clearance practice. I've had my G27 for 5+ years and never had it jam.
Very bad idea because there is no formula that would guarantee that the bullet will exit and not cause a squib.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:31   #17
sum-dum-guy

If you preload multiple mags when you go to the range, just stick them randomly into a couple of the mags. So you don't know which mag has them or where they will be in the mag.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:46   #18
M2 Carbine

I load cases with only a primer, no bullet.

One way or the other I'll load the dud into the student's gun.

Here's how it goes, like a couple months ago with a lady student..

The student is shooting a 38 revolver that I had loaded.
She shoots twice, then the third time there's just a "pop". The student looks at me.
I say nothing.
The student pulls the trigger again and the next round fires.
I tell the student, "Shooting is over. I have to take you to the hospital. You fired the gun with a bullet stuck in the barrel from that dud round.".
Then we reviewed what she had already been told about a bullet being stuck in the barrel from a dud or squib load.

I have seen experienced shooters try to chamber a fresh round with a bullet stuck in the barrel, after firing a squib, or no powder load.
I stopped them by yelling, "Don't fire, you have a bullet stuck in the barrel".
The experienced shooter and another, near by, very experienced shooter did not believe me until they checked the barrel.
They asked me, "How did you know?"
I told them, "I heard the primer fire".

This is one reason I'm not a big fan of Tap, Rack and Fire.
It can be, Tap, Rack and Kaboom.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 12-24-2012 at 01:51..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48   #19
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
"Now was this a training round or not... wish I hadn't accidentally dropped it into my good ammo..."
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37   #20
railfancwb

Buy bulk packs of .22LR and use in an appropriate clone or adapter. That will give ample failure clearing practice.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57   #21
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Use Sellier and Bellot with a striker fired handgun and you'll get stoppage drills
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:19   #22
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Use Sellier and Bellot with a striker fired handgun and you'll get stoppage drills
That I've never had a problem with. The ONLY dud I've ever had was a winchester white box just after my frame upgrade. I was in the middle of a shoot. And I didn't tap rack bang. I waited dropped the mag and field stripped checked the barrel and went on.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:21   #23
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

Turn around and do 20 push-ups then stand and engage targets from contact distance. Each time you have a FTF; tap, rack and assess!
Respectfully, he didn't say he wanted to work on his CPR/AED skillz.

I don't think any 2 out of 3 of the YOUNG MEN (under 45) at my range(s) could knock out 12 pushups and live to talk about it. I myself once fancied the thought of doing 5 in a row, ....but a man has gotta know his limits.

And in agreement with you, in case it was missed: SNAP CAPS. Especially in a gun with tight tolerances (ie, 1911) after a few uses of snap caps, those snap caps really start binding up the action in ways unexpected (failures to feed, extract). 22LR dummy rounds also exhibit this, after a couple of primer strikes they get out of round and are harder to extract from the gun.

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:13   #24
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams454 View Post
NRA sells orange tipped dummy rounds - dummies have been used in training since long before you were born. I make my own, sometimes. it is both dangerous and pointless to make them blend with real ammo - if you want to be surprised, let someone else load your magazines, do it without looking, or, in a revolver, load one and spin the cylinder without looking. I have done plenty of training with randomly loaded dummies. In fact, in my NRA law enforcement instructor school, we randomly loaded dummies in our magazines pretty much all week.

No, you haven't discovered a new idea.

Last edited by Bren; 12-24-2012 at 06:14..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:16   #25
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
I don't usually choose S&B, but I have fired thousands of rounds of it in Glocks and never had a malfunction.

It mostly malfunctions on my Dillon when I try to reload their brass.