SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2013, 19:43   #1
piccopower
still a noob :(

MP sport ...need advice please.

My father in law past away and left us his mp sport.
I like the iron sights on it but want to attach a forend grip..Im going to a gun show this weekend and want to know what to look for and what I would need to change it over. Also you can let me know of a red dot sight that .would work but not real expensive...this is just gonna be a range gun...heaven forbid I would need it to defend myself against the Government.
Luke 11:21
piccopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:49   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

For a foregrip, I prefer using Magpul MOE handguards ($35 or so online) and Magpul MOE vertical grip (about $20). $55 for the whole package, and you can add rail segments for other items later on, if you choose.

For a range fun red dot, Primary Arms is the way to go. Under $100 for most models, damned good CS, and quick shipping times.
Old 01-09-2013, 19:49   #3
J-Pat
McBastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccopower View Post
I like the iron sights on it but want to attach a forend grip..Im going to a gun show this weekend and want to know what to look for and what I would need to change it over. Also you can let me know of a red dot sight that .would work but not real expensive...this is just gonna be a range gun...heaven forbid I would need it to defend myself against the Government.

I'm terribly sorry about your loss. I realize it was your father in law, but a family death is always difficult.

I would suggest poking around ...

http://www.primaryarms.com

These guys have probably the cheapest "good" optics you can get.

For a forend, I would suggest getting a Magpul MOE handguard and Vertical Foregrip

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod27484.aspx

You'll want the carbine length. Color is up to you.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod38862.aspx

This is a foregrip that will attach directly to the aforementioned handguard
J-Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:50   #4
J-Pat
McBastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
For a foregrip, I prefer using Magpul MOE handguards ($35 or so online) and Magpul MOE vertical grip (about $20). $55 for the whole package, and you can add rail segments for other items later on, if you choose.

For a range fun red dot, Primary Arms is the way to go. Under $100 for most models, damned good CS, and quick shipping times.
You stole my thunder!
Old 01-09-2013, 19:51   #5
Ruggles

Quote:
Honestly avoid the crazy gun show and order online IMO.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul_M...mag440-blk.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul_M.../mag413blk.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...t_p/pam4g2.htm

Should be all you need. Different colors to choose from if you want to spice it up a bit

LOL I guess it has already been said.

Last edited by Ruggles; 01-09-2013 at 19:52..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:51   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pat View Post
I'm terribly sorry about your loss. I realize it was your father in law, but a family death is always difficult.

I would suggest poking around ...

http://www.primaryarms.com

These guys have probably the cheapest "good" optics you can get.

For a forend, I would suggest getting a Magpul MOE handguard and Vertical Foregrip

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod27484.aspx

You'll want the carbine length. Color is up to you.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod38862.aspx

This is a foregrip that will attach directly to the aforementioned handguard
Primary Arms sells the Carbine handguards for a few cents less than Brownells, and they throw in free shipping on everything Magpul.

I forgot the carbine MOE handguard was cheaper, the $35 I mentioned above was for the mid-length ones.
Old 01-09-2013, 19:52   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
You stole my thunder!
I am ninja.

Ninja good at these things.

Old 01-09-2013, 19:54   #8
BenjiEDF

There are no cheap/inexpensive red dot sights worth buying, you are better off getting ammo and refining your skills with the iron sights. A foregrip is also a waste of money in my opinion. If you've got the money then pony up for an Aimpoint PRO ($400) otherwise spend your money and time in marksmanship training with the irons. Get out on the range!!! my 2 cents.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:00   #9
J-Pat
McBastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
There are no cheap/inexpensive red dot sights worth buying, you are better off getting ammo and refining your skills with the iron sights. A foregrip is also a waste of money in my opinion. If you've got the money then pony up for an Aimpoint PRO ($400) otherwise spend your money and time in marksmanship training with the irons. Get out on the range!!! my 2 cents.
That simply not true- for a casual shooter who will only use the RDS at the range, Primary Arms is an EXCELLENT resource. It probably won't take a beating like an Aimpoint/EoTech- but it will certainly function fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Primary Arms sells the Carbine handguards for a few cents less than Brownells, and they throw in free shipping on everything Magpul.
Really!? I didn't know that- that's freakin' sweet! I've been debating about getting some Magpul stuff. I guess I know where I'll be placing my order from. The guys at P.A. are a class act.

Also -Our post times are exactly the same- how crazy is that. Great minds must think alike!

Last edited by J-Pat; 01-09-2013 at 20:02..
Old 01-09-2013, 20:25   #10
G-nineteen

Is the PA Micro RDS or the Bushnell TRS-25 (both for <$100) adequate for range use and the 1 in million chance of HD?
G-nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:29   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-nineteen View Post
Is the PA Micro RDS or the Bushnell TRS-25 (both for <$100) adequate for range use and the 1 in million chance of HD?
The Micro is a decent choice, and reasonable priced.
Old 01-09-2013, 20:35   #12
Ruggles

Quote:
I would say yes.
Old 01-09-2013, 20:57   #13
J-Pat
McBastage

Quote:
I also concur- leaning towards the PA
Old 01-09-2013, 20:59   #14
piccopower
still a noob :(

Thanks guys...didnt think I'd get this many responses in that short amount of time....And I think I will skip the gun show and save gas and utilize buying on line.

And thank you J-Pat
Luke 11:21
piccopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 21:32   #15
J-Pat
McBastage

Quote:
Thanks guys...didnt think I'd get this many responses in that short amount of time....And I think I will skip the gun show and save gas and utilize buying on line.

And thank you J-Pat
You're quite welcome!

You shouldn't thank me though- Wooden Plank gave you a really good tip about the free shipping. I'd totally use that if I were you! Best of luck with the M&P Sport. It's a very nice entry level rifle and will serve you quite well.

If you read here , you can learn a lot on how to service an AR and learn techniques to shoot pretty awesome too!
Old 01-09-2013, 21:37   #16
Ruggles

Quote:
You're quite welcome!

You shouldn't thank me though- Wooden Plank gave you a really good tip about the free shipping. I'd totally use that if I were you! Best of luck with the M&P Sport. It's a very nice entry level rifle and will serve you quite well.

If you read here , you can learn a lot on how to service an AR and learn techniques to shoot pretty awesome too!
I live 45 mins from Primary Arms so I have just picked up at their store front. No shipping but local state tax, but no wait so all in all it's a trade off I guess.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00   #17
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Unless you're doing Australian rappel off a side of a building while shooting at the same time or doing an airborne insertion, buttstroking people with your rifle, I'd dare say that most el cheap red dots would work just fine for 90% of the time.

Also, it seems to me that a vertical fore grip is handy for holding up the front end AND using your thumb to activate the flashlight's end cap button switch. That's about it. Vertical hand grips have been around since the Thompson submachine gun (late 1910s). If they were that handy, then more guns would have been designed with their use.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18   #18
collim1
Shower Time!

Aimpoint Pro are going for $389 in a local shop in my area. Hard to buy a $250 sight when you can get an Aimpoint for $400. Dont cheap out on optics. Cheap red dot sights are the worst and you will regret it later.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:39   #19
papershoot

Before you buy a forend grip, consider replacing your factory forend with a picatinny rail forend. This will give you more options for mounting grips, lights, sling clips etc. You may just want a forend grip now, but the picatinny rail forend will give you the best platform to build on. If accuracy at long ranges is important, you will want a free floated one. Mine is an inexpensive carbine length picatinny rail forend I got on Ebay and is not free floated. The gun shoots better than I do inside 100 yards. My black rifle also has a forend grip I really like called Grip-Pod, also purchased on Ebay. It has a bipod that drops down out of the grip handle with the push of a button. This gives the rifle three points to rest on the bench when not in use. It is made to attach (and is easily removed) to a picatinny rail forend.
If you are like me, more time than money, you can add all of the accessories yourself. It has been a couple years, but I think I got the grip-pod and the forend rail for not much over $100. YouTube and forums like this are a great help. I have to agree with advice about buying quality optics like the Aimpoint Pro; however I have not put the bucks toward one for my gun yet. I bought a Hi-Lux Tactical Red Dot Sight 30mm from Midway. The dot is blurry, but it works. You'll want the optics and mount to cowitness with your iron sights. Be warned that shooting and upgrading your evil black rifle can become habit forming. Enjoy.
papershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 22:54   #20
kb18no1

The best affordable red dot sight is the Vortex Stikeforce. If your life depends on it go with an Aimpoint.

WATCH THIS VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=3oQg1p1UPFY

Magpul Moe Handguards and Grips are nice and easy to install. They are also light and affordable. You will need a Handguard (carbine length) or a picatinny rail. For the moe handguard you will need a Moe Vertical Grip (MVG) and for a picatinny rail a Rail Vertical Grip (RVG)

http://store.magpul.com/

Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by kb18no1; 01-12-2013 at 22:59..
kb18no1 is offline   Reply With Quote