GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2012, 21:35   #1
redrooster

What is wrong with people? Selling Guns...

Sorry... feel like venting

Not so much on this forum, although it does happen here too, but what is up with people charging outrageous prices for their guns and then acting offended when you offer a fair price. I'm honestly not talking about low balling...for instance.

Listing used Glocks (as comes from the factory w/2 mags) for over $500.00. Offer them $4-450 and they act like you are trying to rip them off.

Remington 870 police trade-ins for $500.00. You can buy them online right now in great condition for $350-375 including shipping and transfer fee.

Used Remington 870 express for $275-325. You can go to Wal-Mart any day of the week and pay 299.99 + tax and if you go before the end of the year there is a $30.00 rebate (269.99 + Tax). $225 out the door is easily a fair price on a used express in great condition.

Just saw a S&W model 10-6 in good condition listed for $700.00 on an online classifieds site. Are these really selling for that? I would think $400.00 would be reasonable.

It's a free country...blah blah blah. I understand that guns are worth what people are willing to pay for them, but if you are going to list a used gun at the same price or higher than a new one...please don't get or act offended when someone offers you a fair price. If you don't have a clue what your gun is worth do some research. I also understand that people will list it for more than they expect to get...I do the same, since I know people will haggle, but it seems like this is getting extreme.

Sorry to vent, free country and all, but the furball forum is a great place for it.

Last edited by redrooster; 11-23-2012 at 21:53..
redrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 23:00   #2
countrygun

I hear you. I have been looking for some things on GunBroker (bought one) but there is one gun in a category that I am checking on that is on it's 3rd time up for auction with the same "starting bid" and presumably same "reserve"

The gun is in far worse condition than others of the same model, (I would say it's 80% condition and that is giving the benefit f the doubt) and vintage THAT HAVE SOLD at $75 dollars less that the "starting bid" on this particular one.

Right now there is one that started out at $100 less and has a Buy It Now" $50 less than the 3rd timer and it is almost NIB.

It's one thing to overprice something and learn from it, but when you have the WORST of 5 listed and have the HIGHEST reserve for the 3rd time. you gotta be nuts.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56   #3
G-19

deleted

Last edited by G-19; 12-08-2012 at 07:04..
G-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12   #4
GlockPride
Glock 23

Inflation and the less valued dollar...
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20   #5
debbert

Unlike electronics, guns don't lose substantial value the minute that you buy them. Although there are cases where people are looking for top dollar for crap, there are instances where the prices are justified. For instance, I bought a Glock 26 back in July 2011, I've put less than 300 rounds through it, and it has been meticulously maintained.

I frequently use Pooshka.com to get gun values, and they state that the resale value of my gun at between $510 and $560. My gun happens to be in much better than good condition, and probably would be considered to be in excellent condition. http://www.pooshka.com/gun-value.php?poo_model_id=3747

I wouldn't think that $400 to $450 would be a fair price, if it were offered to me, either. Sorry.

Also, some private buyers may put a value on not having to pay sales tax or an FFL transfer fee, or not having to have a NICS check, in some cases.
debbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37   #6
nksmfamjp

Send a message via Yahoo to nksmfamjp
Totally agree! Seems like Gunbroker is full of guns which will never sell! I bought my Glock 21 there.

Basically, I find I have to shuffle through the $800 Glock's and rusty $600 S&W 19's to find mine.

I was once within $10 of a deal on a Norinco 1911, but then I didn't like the locking lug pic combined with the no return policy. That gun went on Gunbroker and sold for $50+ more than I would have paid!
nksmfamjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14   #7
Keoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbert View Post
or not having to have a NICS check, in some cases.
Exactly. People who couldn't get a gun otherwise are attracted to unlicensed sellers. If you include "no CDL required" in your ad, you can easily add $100 to its value. Maybe even $200 if you are in Detroit or the upper East Coast.

Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27   #8
debbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
Exactly. People who couldn't get a gun otherwise are attracted to unlicensed sellers. If you include "no CDL required" in your ad, you can easily add $100 to its value. Maybe even $200 if you are in Detroit or the upper East Coast.

While that is true, I was referring to legal purchases only.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52   #9
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post

What does a commercial drivers license have to do with purchasing a gun?
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55   #10
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
What does a commercial drivers license have to do with purchasing a gun?
They are saying they will sell it to someone without ID. (no questions asked) But will charge more for it.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:16   #11
redrooster

Not trying to argue, but why would anyone pay $510-560 for a used Glock 26 when you can by a new one any day of the week for $499-529.00? Every shop in my area sells them in this price range. You can buy a Glock 26 @ budsgunshop for $499 + transfer fee which should still put you under your "used" price range.

For what it's worth, I've bought 4 different Glocks and have never paid more than $450.00 for a standard Glock with 2 mags.

Last edited by redrooster; 12-09-2012 at 22:17..
Old 12-09-2012, 22:30   #12
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock

Every shop here in CT sells new Gen3 Glocks for $469-up and Gen4 for $529-up... That is why I always cruise the classifieds here and on other sites and never... buy... anything.

I can go buy a new Gen3 for $500 OTD.

people want $450+ for their used Glock and then its gonna cost me $40 to transfer it at an FFL...
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23   #13
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph

Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra

Quote:
Unlike electronics, guns don't lose substantial value the minute that you buy them. Although there are cases where people are looking for top dollar for crap, there are instances where the prices are justified. For instance, I bought a Glock 26 back in July 2011, I've put less than 300 rounds through it, and it has been meticulously maintained.

I frequently use Pooshka.com to get gun values, and they state that the resale value of my gun at between $510 and $560. My gun happens to be in much better than good condition, and probably would be considered to be in excellent condition. http://www.pooshka.com/gun-value.php?poo_model_id=3747

I wouldn't think that $400 to $450 would be a fair price, if it were offered to me, either. Sorry.

Also, some private buyers may put a value on not having to pay sales tax or an FFL transfer fee, or not having to have a NICS check, in some cases.
That same site also lists trade in glocks at an average price of $250. I would dump my 401k to buy a truckload at that price. I dont think i have ever bought a glock under $350 before. I have never seen one listed for sale EVER at $250

ADDED: not sure if the trade in means trade in glocks, or trade value for glocks. Anyone that takes $250 for a glock is insane. IMO, An average used glock should run between $350-$475 depending on the model. $350 for 17,22, 19, 23, 26, 27 etc. Toward the $475 side for less common models like 24, 34, 35, 21, 20 etc

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

Last edited by kf4zra; 12-10-2012 at 01:27.. Reason: added
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15   #14
PhotoFeller

Most of the way overpriced Gunbroker listings don't sell. They are listed by people who don't have a clue about their gun's value or they hope a sucker with money buys without knowing/caring about the price.

I can't explain anyone who knows guns buying a used Glock for more than current retail, unless the seller has spent $100+ for aftermarket sights.

Most guns, including some of mine, have been used so little that they are as good as new. My Glocks all have night sights and have been very well cared for; they have been fired very little. Lots of people buy guns on a whim, then keep them as safe queens rather than sell or trade for a loss. Guns in like-new condition should sell for near retail because mainstream firearms like Sig, S&W, Glock don't depreciate; condition is king.

The firearm market is wacky sometimes, but buyers ultimately control the prices being paid. All we have to say is "Your price is beyond my reach, so would you consider $XXX?" Without a willing buyer, there can't be a sale.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-10-2012 at 07:35..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:24   #15
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
That same site also lists trade in glocks at an average price of $250. I would dump my 401k to buy a truckload at that price. I dont think i have ever bought a glock under $350 before. I have never seen one listed for sale EVER at $250

ADDED: not sure if the trade in means trade in glocks, or trade value for glocks. Anyone that takes $250 for a glock is insane. IMO, An average used glock should run between $350-$475 depending on the model. $350 for 17,22, 19, 23, 26, 27 etc. Toward the $475 side for less common models like 24, 34, 35, 21, 20 etc
My experience in trying to trade some of my guns with a dealer is that the value they would give me on trade is pitifully low. These folks commonly offer about 50% of retail for trade-ins. Most recently, I was offered $250 trade in for a Glock 22 because, after about 200 rounds, I decided .40 wasn't for me; I had paid the same dealer $500 for it just a short time before.

You'd be surprised at how any people are willing to take a big loss in trade-in value and just consider it (the loss) the cost of trying out the gun. Buy a Glock for $500 and trade it on another gun in 4 months for $250; the $250 loss is a 'rental fee'.

Dealers are in business to collect revenue to pay for brick and mortar costs plus other operating expenses. New gun prices are often priced with a very thin margin because competition is so tough. The dealer's profit comes substantially from used gun sales, ammo, holsters, cleaning supplies, etc.

Anyone wanting to sell a gun is much better off finding an individual buyer. At least there is a chance of getting market value. Trade-in value sucks.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-10-2012 at 07:37..
Old 12-10-2012, 20:39   #16
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Quote:

Then, there's the fact that I can get a Glock 26 NIB for $399 plus tax..as can a number of people, per Glock. Heck, even security guards can get one at that price. I won't pay over $250 for a used Glock, since I can get a brand new one for about $175 more. Try and keep that in mind when marketing oyur pistol.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21   #17
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
Then, there's the fact that I can get a Glock 26 NIB for $399 plus tax..as can a number of people, per Glock. Heck, even security guards can get one at that price. I won't pay over $250 for a used Glock, since I can get a brand new one for about $175 more. Try and keep that in mind when marketing oyur pistol.
I haven't checked recently, but this must be the price for LEOs, military or civilian first responders under Glock's special pricing program. Most of us pay retail at about $500 for new Glocks.

I don't see used Glocks priced at $250, so I must be looking in the wrong places. I tried to find a cheap, worn out Glock several years ago to use for detail stripping/parts replacement practice, and even the dogs were over $250.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-11-2012 at 11:25..
Old 12-11-2012, 22:43   #18
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
I haven't checked recently, but this must be the price for LEOs, military or civilian first responders under Glock's special pricing program. Most of us pay retail at about $500 for new Glocks.

I don't see used Glocks priced at $250, so I must be looking in the wrong places. I tried to find a cheap, worn out Glock several years ago to use for detail stripping/parts replacement practice, and even the dogs were over $250.
It is, and they even extend pricing to GSSF members for one pistol annually, unless I am mistaken. Given the number of people who qualify for the LE pricing, or the GSSF benefit, one might think differently about the purchase price of a Glock. Thats just for the three standard frames chambered in 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20   #19
Detectorist

Quote:

Absolutely. your gun is worth more than new.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 18:43   #20
redrooster

Wow...it's getting worse. I don't know if any of you guys use or check certain online gun listing websites, but yesterday alone there had to be about 20 AR's listed on a particular site. What's bad is people are listing them anywhere from 50-100% over what they should be selling for.

Used Colt 6920 with no extras for $1500.00
Various DPMS AR's in various configurations ranging from $1300-3000.00
Russian SKS (with cheap "tactical" stock and Tasco scope) for $800.00

What's bad is that you can still find these new online for the same price that it was 2 weeks ago.

What's worse is that people are buying them. I contacted one guy about a Colt AR that was severely overpriced (he was firm on the price) to see if he had added anything to it (didn't even hint that it was priced too high) and he informed me that it was sold pending funds. The buyer could have bought a brand new one for less than he paid for the used Colt.

I guess if people are in that much of a panic to overpay for a rifle then they deserve what they get. I guess I can't blame the buyer. If somebody was willing to pay me twice what my guns are worth, I'd sell them and go buy new ones with left over.