Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 21:31   #181
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Would a liar quote you accurately? Link to the original link?

I'm all for accuracy.

So, to be more accurate, by definition, you are not on a peaceful jihad against other religious belief, it's just a crusade?

Look up the definitions of both. You've had problems with definitions before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
An honest man making an honest mistake would apologize when it became apparent what they originally said wasn't true. Especially if it impugned someone's character.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I've seen the problems CD has with definitions. Definitely gets my vote for the liar between the two of you. Deliberately misstating something is far from a mistake on his part, seems to be his MO.

Within the confines of individual liberties and the law is pretty plain, as plain as "atheism is the antonym of religion", or "hockey is a religion in Canada".

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 01-07-2013 at 21:33..
Old 01-07-2013, 22:46   #182
Michael Rye

If you take the position that you don't know if there is a god, then when the question becomes ' do you believe in god? ', then the answer can only be no...by intellectually honest default.

Agnostics don't know, and because they don't know they don't worship or believe. Ergo, they are also atheists...even though they don't want to come out and say so.

Everything else is just playing word games.

I don't believe in god, but I have no problem in saying that I don't know for a fact that there is no god.

I am fine with calling myself an atheist. I don't believe, simple as that. I don't claim to know for certain.
Old 01-07-2013, 23:22   #183
Syclone538

There are people who believe, but don't know, or claim to.

Anyway, don't bother with CD on this issue...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282322

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49   #184
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
An honest man making an honest mistake would apologize when it became apparent what they originally said wasn't true. Especially if it impugned someone's character.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
You know, the first time you called religion a scourge, you gave no allowance for personal liberty, except to say that our freedom required it.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...5&postcount=55

Quote:
Tell you what, I'll concede that my entire line of reasoning was illegitimate if you concede that religion is a scourge on the human race that must be eliminated if we are ever to be truly free.

And then we'll call it... totally lopsided in my favor.

If the chronology of the two posts are considered, there does seem to have been a softening in your stance. I asked what confines you felt were appropriate now. Have your opinions evolved?

Mission, jihad, crusade, goal in life, call it what you want to and I'll accurately do the same.

I'd still like to know what confines you place on yourself, and considering that jihad is also peaceful, how innaccurate you think my statement was. If I'm wrong, I will humbly admit it and appologize, but if it's just a difference of opinion...

--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-08-2013 at 05:53..
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59   #185
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rye View Post
If you take the position that you don't know if there is a god, then when the question becomes ' do you believe in god? ', then the answer can only be no...by intellectually honest default.

Agnostics don't know, and because they don't know they don't worship or believe. Ergo, they are also atheists...even though they don't want to come out and say so.

Everything else is just playing word games.

I don't believe in god, but I have no problem in saying that I don't know for a fact that there is no god.

I am fine with calling myself an atheist. I don't believe, simple as that. I don't claim to know for certain.
See, I get that a lot. Many agnostics have been suckered into thinking its the same thing. Agnostics don't know. Acknowledge that either position is possible to varrying degrees, and are comfortable right there.

Quote:
Main Entry: athe·ist
Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ist\
Function: noun
Date: 1551
: one who believes that there is no deity
By definition, atheism is not a simple lack of belief, it is an active belief system, a certainty about a detail of existance that no one has proven yet. As far as I know, there's very little or no evidence either way. But many have faith that what they believe is the true nature of the universe.

The question is: has a deity existed? The answers are varied, but occur along a linear gradient.

Atheism > Atheistic agnosticism > Agnosticism < Theistic agnosticism < Theism.

It's a very controversial subject though.

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-08-2013 at 06:48..
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28   #186
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
I'd still like to know what confines you place on yourself, and considering that jihad is also peaceful, how innaccurate you think my statement was. If I'm wrong, I will humbly admit it and appologize, but if it's just a difference of opinion...
Asked and answered. Both in the original post you quoted from me and again by me in this very thread. Other people don't seem to be having any difficulty in understanding what limits I would place on such efforts ("within the confines of individual liberty and the law"). Why are you having so much trouble? The obvious answer is that you aren't and that you are simply being intentionally intellectually dishonest (look it up if you don't understand what that means).

I'm done with this game of yours. I know you will spin this carousel around and around indefinitely for your own personal amusement. This is where I step off.

Last edited by Geko45; 01-08-2013 at 08:31..
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39   #187
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

You didn't mention those limits before that last post. (See quote from you in post 184)

Would it be fair to say that you think it's important to try to convince people that their religion is wrong, without taking any action other than discussing it, or would you do something more. Saying that if its not eliminated that it is a threat to freedom seems like a pretty strong statement to me, especially from someone that has made personal sacrifices for freedom.

G36S said he wanted to protest a church and entice someone to take a swing at him so he could sue them for enough money to close the church. Would that be too extreme for you to support?

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-08-2013 at 08:43..
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13   #188
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
There are people who believe, but don't know, or claim to.

Anyway, don't bother with CD on this issue...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282322
The part that tickles me is CD get's his ass handed to him over and over on this and yet he still has this feeling that he's proven something or validated his opinions.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26   #189
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Would it be fair to say that you think it's important to try to convince people that their religion is wrong, without taking any action other than discussing it
Absolutely. The religious must be confronted with reality. They can reject it over and over. But they must be reminded that they live outside it. We cannot have a society where more than half of the population are living in dream land. Not if we want to progress and move forward. While they have a right to worship as they see fit. I will continue to present them with reality at every possible opportunity.

Quote:
Saying that if its not eliminated that it is a threat to freedom seems like a pretty strong statement to me
Perhaps, but it's nonetheless true. If the religious had their way they would institute laws that tell me how I can or cannot live my life. And those laws would be informed by their dogma. We see them try it over and over with attempts to overturn Roe Vs Wade, or outlaw gay marriage, or ban stem cell research. They would love nothing more than to FORCE me to live by their morals. So in turn I will do whatever I can to corrode their religion in this nation and loosen it's hold on our government. I didn't fire the first shot. But I will keep shooting now that the fight is on. And religion is losing that fight. That's why they claim to be victims all of a sudden. But it's too late for agree to disagree now.

Quote:
G36S said he wanted to protest a church and entice someone to take a swing at him so he could sue them for enough money to close the church. Would that be too extreme for you to support?
It's a good idea. Works for the Phelps.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10   #190
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Nice sigline. So you've taken to taking statements out of context.

Quote:
You didn't mention those limits before that last post. (See quote from you in post 184)

Would it be fair to say that you think it's important to try to convince people that their religion is wrong, without taking any action other than discussing it, or would you do something more. Saying that if its not eliminated that it is a threat to freedom seems like a pretty strong statement to me, especially from someone that has made personal sacrifices for freedom.

That kind of behavior doesn't speak well of you.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-08-2013, 12:18   #191
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Absolutely. The religious must be confronted with reality. They can reject it over and over. But they must be reminded that they live outside it. We cannot have a society where more than half of the population are living in dream land. Not if we want to progress and move forward. While they have a right to worship as they see fit. I will continue to present them with reality at every possible opportunity.

Perhaps, but it's nonetheless true. If the religious had their way they would institute laws that tell me how I can or cannot live my life. And those laws would be informed by their dogma. We see them try it over and over with attempts to overturn Roe Vs Wade, or outlaw gay marriage, or ban stem cell research. They would love nothing more than to FORCE me to live by their morals. So in turn I will do whatever I can to corrode their religion in this nation and loosen it's hold on our government. I didn't fire the first shot. But I will keep shooting now that the fight is on. And religion is losing that fight. That's why they claim to be victims all of a sudden. But it's too late for agree to disagree now.

It's a good idea. Works for the Phelps.
How does that work for the Phelps WBC guys. What have they been able to litigate into closure.

Also, identifying with an almost universally despised group of people, and advocating for their behavior, won't help your reputation anywhere.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-08-2013, 13:11   #192
Glock36shooter

Quote:
How does that work for the Phelps WBC guys. What have they been able to litigate into closure.
I don't really keep up with them. But it is my understanding that is how they get most of their money. By goading people into conflict and then suing them over it.

Quote:
Also, identifying with an almost universally despised group of people, and advocating for their behavior, won't help your reputation anywhere.
LOL, I'm not very concerned with my reputation.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-08-2013, 13:15   #193
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I don't really keep up with them. But it is my understanding that is how they get most of their money. By goading people into conflict and then suing them over it.

LOL, I'm not very concerned with my reputation.
That is becoming very evident.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-08-2013, 13:26   #194
Glock36shooter

Quote:
That is becoming very evident.
Opinions are like... well you know. I'm only interested in facts. what can be known.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-08-2013, 13:40   #195
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Opinions are like... well you know. I'm only interested in facts. what can be known.
Lately, it looks like intentional misrepresentation is your new hobby.

Not all things are known, and it's not a bad idea to be tolerant of other opinions, even if you don't agree. When we start thinking it's ok to dictate what opinions other people should have, don't be too surprised when someone comes along and makes you comply with their opinion.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-08-2013, 19:31   #196
ksg0245

Quote:
See, I get that a lot.
There's an obvious reason for that.

Quote:
Many agnostics have been suckered into thinking its the same thing. Agnostics don't know. Acknowledge that either position is possible to varrying degrees, and are comfortable right there.
That's correct. And some of those agnostics reject the assertion of deities based on the lack of evidence supporting that assertion without claiming to know either way whether deities exist. Such agnostics are called "atheists" because they lack theism.

Quote:
By definition, atheism is not a simple lack of belief, it is an active belief system, a certainty about a detail of existance that no one has proven yet.
No, that's YOUR definition, based on a refusal to distinguish belief and knowledge, and an idiosyncratic refusal to recognize an definition of the term apart from the one that fits your strawman.

Quote:
As far as I know, there's very little or no evidence either way.
If there's little or no evidence either way, the rational position is to reject the assertion.

Quote:
But many have faith that what they believe is the true nature of the universe.
And some think the "true" nature of the Universe is discovered through examining evidence.

Quote:
The question is: has a deity existed? The answers are varied, but occur along a linear gradient.

Atheism > Atheistic agnosticism > Agnosticism < Theistic agnosticism < Theism.
Those aren't the answer to the question "has a deity existed?" The answer to that question is binary: either yes or no. Your linear description is the answer to the question "What does Cavalry Doc think is the relationship between belief and knowledge?" where lack of belief and belief are somehow equivalent, and "lack of knowledge" has no correlating "possession of knowledge" point on the scale.

Quote:
It's a very controversial subject though.
Only to you.
Old 01-08-2013, 21:32   #197
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
There's an obvious reason for that.

That's correct. And some of those agnostics reject the assertion of deities based on the lack of evidence supporting that assertion without claiming to know either way whether deities exist. Such agnostics are called "atheists" because they lack theism.

No, that's YOUR definition, based on a refusal to distinguish belief and knowledge, and an idiosyncratic refusal to recognize an definition of the term apart from the one that fits your strawman.

If there's little or no evidence either way, the rational position is to reject the assertion.

And some think the "true" nature of the Universe is discovered through examining evidence.

Those aren't the answer to the question "has a deity existed?" The answer to that question is binary: either yes or no. Your linear description is the answer to the question "What does Cavalry Doc think is the relationship between belief and knowledge?" where lack of belief and belief are somehow equivalent, and "lack of knowledge" has no correlating "possession of knowledge" point on the scale.

Only to you.

Look, if you have a problem with American English, take it up with Merriam Webster. It's not my fault you can't apply the accurate definition.

Just let it go and walk away. We disagree. You are entitled to use your definition of the word, and I'm entitled to use the correct one.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-08-2013, 21:42   #198
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentriple View Post
I want to know one thing: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Unless I'm mistaken what we consider a chicken was bred by humans from various other fowl, so the egg.

Quote:
...By definition, atheism is not a simple lack of belief, it is an active belief system...
Dictionary shopping again I see.

Quote:
Definition of atheism
noun
[mass noun]

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
You really do have trouble with definitions. Atheism is a disbelief or lack of belief.

Quote:
Definition of disbelief
noun

inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real: Laura shook her head in disbelief
lack of faith in something: I’ll burn in hell for disbelief
Quote:
Definition of lack
noun

the state of being without or not having enough of something
Even as a belief, it would be a singular belief not a belief system. There is no system. No other beliefs, values, codes, behaviors, dogma etc. required to be an atheist. Only one single belief.

Your intentional intellectual dishonesty in this case and in regards to Geko doesn't speak well of you.

Quote:
Look, if you have a problem with American English, take it up with Merriam Webster. It's not my fault you can't apply the accurate definition.

Just let it go and walk away. We disagree. You are entitled to use your definition of the word, and I'm entitled to use the correct one.
You really are pompous.

Quote:
Definition of pompous
adjective

affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important
I too will join Geko in no longer responding to you on this subject. Which I'm sure you will take as a victory.

Quote:
Definition of victory
noun (plural victories)

an act of defeating an enemy or opponent in a battle, game, or other competition
All you have really done however is to make an assclown of yourself.

Quote:
Definition of assclown
noun (plural assclowns)

a person who, while making a serious attempt as something, fails to realize what a complete fool he has made of himself
And if you have a problem with English, whether it be American or British, take it up with Oxford.

Last edited by juggy4711; 01-08-2013 at 21:58.. Reason: spelling, puncutation, humor
Old 01-08-2013, 21:54   #199
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken what we consider a chicken was bred by humans from various other fowl, so the egg.

Dictionary shopping again I see.

You really do have trouble with definitions. Atheism is a disbelief or lack of belief.

Even as a belief, it would be a singular belief not a belief system. There is no system. No other beliefs, values, codes, behaviors, dogma etc. required to be an atheist. Only one single belief.

Your intentional intellectual dishonesty in this case and in regards to Geko doesn't speak well of you.

You really are pompous.

I too will join Geko in no longer responding to you on this subject. Which I'm sure you will take as a victory.

All you have really done however is to make and assclown of yourself.

Quote:
Definition of assclown
noun (plural assclowns)

a person who, while making a serious attempt as something, fails to realize what a complete fool he has made of himself

Using merriam websters isn't shopping. It's a standard. It's not my fault if you can't speak American English or make a point without using tact and good manners. You'll just have to realize that you are a product of a failed educational system and poor upbringing.

Before you come back, check out the definition of disbelief.

Quote:
Main Entry: dis·be·lief
Pronunciation: \ˌdis-bə-ˈlēf\
Date: 1672
: the act of disbelieving : mental rejection of something as untrue
Disbelief is an act. It's not a refusal to act.

Send your English teachers a No Thank You card. Attach a copy of the last few posts just for a hoot.

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-08-2013 at 22:08..
Old 01-08-2013, 22:06   #200
chickenwing

Religious Issues

Closed Thread