They probably don't like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
I don't have any imaginary friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Because you're a horrible person?
Atheist tolerance on display?

Personally, I have a lot of friends, they are from many different persuasions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 12-31-2012 at 16:31..
Old 12-31-2012, 17:19   #42
dbcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post

Yeah, that one was a bit much, but he set that one up far to easily. I couldn't resist.
Old 12-31-2012, 17:33   #43
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Yeah, that one was a bit much, but he set that one up far to easily. I couldn't resist.
Emotion gets the best of many people here. I understand.

Evolution is obviously possible, but so is intelligent design.

They are not mutually exclusive.

--Gunhaver

Old 12-31-2012, 17:38   #44
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:

Evolution is mutually exclusive with a literal interpretation of Genesis. Do you give each an equal chance of being true?
Old 12-31-2012, 18:50   #45
GigiB

Quote:
I have a pet rock.
Old 12-31-2012, 19:14   #46
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Evolution is mutually exclusive with a literal interpretation of Genesis. Do you give each an equal chance of being true?
Who says Genesis is correct? Christians and Jews might. But you are trying to move the issue into your anti-christian position, where you feel most comfortable for some reason.

What is it that has you so committed to oppose christianity? Were you abused in some way by someone you believed was a christian? PTSD exists, and it is not limited to military service.

I think that it is equally possible that a deity has existed, and that none has existed. That's it in a nutshell.

Evolution and Intelligent Design are not mutually exclusive. Evolution may have been designed.

If you are just a passive non-believer, that shouldn't be so hard to admit.

But you are a committed believer.....

--Gunhaver

Old 01-02-2013, 20:01   #47
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I don't have any liberal friends.
I don't have any atheist friends either.
I wonder why?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
They probably don't like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Because you're a horrible person?
Quote:

Did you not notice JBs post or are you just being selective about who you tacitly accuse of intolerance?
Old 01-02-2013, 21:12   #48
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
Did you not notice JBs post or are you just being selective about who you tacitly accuse of intolerance?
He said he didn't have any atheist friends. Then rhetorically wondered why.

Looks like he didn't need to be informed. That, and he has yet to be impolite to me that I can remember. Can't say the same for the others.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-02-2013, 21:26   #49
Lotiki
All that is man

Somehow the original internet forum disrupting technique that was known as "trolling" became "troll".

The original meaning was a fishing reference, just dangle the lure out there and then sit back, wait for the bites and enjoy the mayhem created. Sometime along the way people forgot about the real trollers and decided to call people that are just stupid "trolls".

Don't bite the lure, just let the thread die.

Last edited by Lotiki; 01-02-2013 at 21:30..
Old 01-02-2013, 21:28   #50
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
He said he didn't have any atheist friends. Then rhetorically wondered why.

Looks like he didn't need to be informed. That, and he has yet to be impolite to me that I can remember. Can't say the same for the others.

In that case carry on.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:41   #51
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiki View Post
Somehow the original internet forum disrupting technique that was known as "trolling" became "troll".

The original meaning was a fishing reference, just dangle the lure out there and then sit back, wait for the bites and enjoy the mayhem created. Sometime along the way people forgot about the real trollers and decided to call people that are just stupid "trolls".

Don't bite the lure, just let the thread die.

Or if you aren't enjoying the discussion, you could just not post in the thread, or act like a stray dog pooping in your front yard. Your choice.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-02-2013, 21:49   #52
Lotiki
All that is man

Quote:
Or if you aren't enjoying the discussion, you could just not post in the thread, or act like a stray dog pooping in your front yard. Your choice.

You can make childish "poopy" references all you want, it doesn't change the fact that this is the umpteenth thread about the same exact subject by the same exact person who will, as he has countless times before, undoubtedly ignore scientific and proven facts presented by others, to present his own unproven opinion backed by cartoons and story-books before leaving entirely to start a new thread......

And all the time he rejoices about "poking us with a stick"........
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I know that!

Textbook definition of a troller.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troller
Quote:
From the Urban Dictionary,
Troller

A troller, or troll (pronounced trall) is a person who purposely makes comments on controversial topics designed to piss people off. A troller is always watching his/her comment, so the best thing to do is ignore it. But if you want to make a trollers day, play along. I guarantee they'll be happy. Trollers are everywhere that people are seeing live feeds in forums to YouTube comments. Trolls are hard to upset, in fact, much of what you do to shame them, just makes them laugh louder. There are many kinds of trolls, from eleven year olds to hard core trollers. Depending on the content of the trollers comment, you can tell fairly easily.
Again, don't bite the lure people, just let the thread die.

Last edited by Lotiki; 01-02-2013 at 22:01..
Old 01-02-2013, 23:43   #53
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Wow, just wow...

Religious Issues

Old 01-03-2013, 01:10   #54
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:

You've stated it incorrectly.

Evolution is obviously reality. It has been observed. Therefore it is science.

Intelligent design is possible, but neither the design nor the designer has been observed. Nor has any means of demonstrating the existence of either, other than arguments from incredulity and supernatural belief, been described. Therefore intelligent design is not science.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42   #55
Glock36shooter

Quote:

My objection to him as a person has nothing to do with his religion. He's just a tool.

Two of my very best friends that I have known since the 1st grade and love like brothers are devout Christians. And we have spectacular debates. Debates bordering on The Heroic and Legendary.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Old 01-03-2013, 20:38   #56
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
That, and he has yet to be impolite to me that I can remember. Can't say the same for the others...
Being polite to you is not a measure of whether one is incorrect or not. It's also not a measure of whether or not one is tolerant. Are you seriously going to argue that JB has tolerant beliefs of folks that do not agree with him on certain issues?

Evolution is not just a possibility. It is a scientific certitude. No level of politeness changes that. I will be the first to admit that I have little patience for fools, especially fools that deny scientific facts. But my impatience, intolerance if one prefers, only goes so far as the labeling of said fool a fool. JB has on numerous occasion advocated the government having the ability to enforce his intolerance on others via law.

I seriously respect you Doc for your service to our country and your continued Hippocratic endeavors, but your hard on against atheism is bordering on belligerent.
Old 01-03-2013, 20:54   #57
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
Being polite to you is not a measure of whether one is incorrect or not. It's also not a measure of whether or not one is tolerant. Are you seriously going to argue that JB has tolerant beliefs of folks that do not agree with him on certain issues?
Nope. JB and I may see eye to eye on RKBA and fiscal issues, but we differ on others. See post #43. He's never attacked me personally as far as I know, so I am respectful of his beliefs, and return the favor. We disagree politely.

I believe evolution is possible. Even likely. But I do also believe that evolution and intelligent design are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:

Evolution is not just a possibility. It is a scientific certitude. No level of politeness changes that. I will be the first to admit that I have little patience for fools, especially fools that deny scientific facts. But my impatience, intolerance if one prefers, only goes so far as the labeling of said fool a fool. JB has on numerous occasion advocated the government having the ability to enforce his intolerance on others via law.
I have argued for some issues that some may see as anti-do as-you-please issues. Yeah, I think that before a minor female has an abortion, the parents should have the responsibility of consenting to the procedure, no different than getting ears pierced or a tattoo. It should not be banned in any fashion, but also, those getting one should pay for it themselves, just like it was a butt lift when there was nothing wrong with their butt to begin with.

Quote:

I seriously respect you Doc for your service to our country and your continued Hippocratic endeavors, but your hard on against atheism is bordering on belligerent.
Seems to me, just coming here and expressing an agnostic viewpoint has invited attacks from the most militant atheists. Ironically, I haven't had any rude behavior from the Theists. Got a few invites to attend services and wishes that I would find god, but no fire and brimstone threats or name calling. A few atheists (long ago) PM'd me and told me they get where I am coming from. But most here think that Agnosticism is not a valid belief, or think that calling an agnostic names and being generally rude stops the debate.

I do try to be polite in most cases. I do occasionally fail in that and respond with the same amount of politeness I am presented with.

I am just here to offer a different perspective. When people ask questions about what I believe, and how I got there, I do try to answer them. That starts a debate......

It's cool though. We should all be able to learn from each other.

--Gunhaver

Old 01-03-2013, 22:03   #58
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Nope. JB and I may see eye to eye on RKBA and fiscal issues, but we differ on others. See post #43. He's never attacked me personally as far as I know, so I am respectful of his beliefs, and return the favor. We disagree politely.

I believe evolution is possible. Even likely. But I do also believe that evolution and intelligent design are not mutually exclusive.

I have argued for some issues that some may see as anti-do as-you-please issues. Yeah, I think that before a minor female has an abortion, the parents should have the responsibility of consenting to the procedure, no different than getting ears pierced or a tattoo. It should not be banned in any fashion, but also, those getting one should pay for it themselves, just like it was a butt lift when there was nothing wrong with their butt to begin with.

Seems to me, just coming here and expressing an agnostic viewpoint has invited attacks from the most militant atheists. Ironically, I haven't had any rude behavior from the Theists. Got a few invites to attend services and wishes that I would find god, but no fire and brimstone threats or name calling. A few atheists (long ago) PM'd me and told me they get where I am coming from. But most here think that Agnosticism is not a valid belief, or think that calling an agnostic names and being generally rude stops the debate.

I do try to be polite in most cases. I do occasionally fail in that and respond with the same amount of politeness I am presented with.

I am just here to offer a different perspective. When people ask questions about what I believe, and how I got there, I do try to answer them. That starts a debate......

It's cool though. We should all be able to learn from each other.
I agree we should all be able to learn from each other. But yet again you state, this time as a belief, that evolution is possible, even likely. Is that a statement of faith? Is that a religious belief?

Doc, evolution is not just possible or likely. It is a fact. Once again I must point out that all of science as currently understood is interconnected in such a way that you could not argue on the internet where evolution false. Were it false there would be no internet.

I grasp that is not an easy concept to accept. But the truth is no evolution, no internet. No quantum no colors. No quarks no biology, no biology and every thing you've learned to save folks would not work. Science as we understand, observe and can replicate it must be correct. Incomplete sure but incorrect? No.

Militant atheists should not take issue with you for your agnosticism, but when you make statements like evolution is possible rather than a certitude, then yes they need to take you to task.

As far as do as you please...Come on the best example you can come up with is the actions of minors without parental consent? Find me an atheist that is conservative and has argued that minors should be able to do as they please, have others pay for it and I will dissent. Find me one that thinks calling you a name and being rude stops the debate and I'll ask who they think they are.

Find me one that did not at first argue from a position of science and again I'll call them out. The religious on the other hand have no foundation for such discussion. They result to insults and impoliteness because they have no scientific position. When one argues from the point of an ancient text being divine truth in contradiction to all of science a bit of name calling is to be expected.

If one insisted that blood humors were the cause of disease would you not scoff? There is far too much importance placed on politeness. When debating such important issues politeness should never be a concern. Veracity on the other hand should be of the utmost importance.

Feelly weelings have no place in such a conversation and only serve as a politically and cowardly distraction.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03   #59
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
I agree we should all be able to learn from each other. But yet again you state, this time as a belief, that evolution is possible, even likely. Is that a statement of faith? Is that a religious belief?
It's just what I believe based on what I have learned. Adaptation has been observed, evolution is an extension of that. I'm not sure if we've observed an insect evolving into a mammal, or a reptile into a bird, or a dog into a bear.

Quote:
Doc, evolution is not just possible or likely. It is a fact. Once again I must point out that all of science as currently understood is interconnected in such a way that you could not argue on the internet where evolution false. Were it false there would be no internet.

I grasp that is not an easy concept to accept. But the truth is no evolution, no internet. No quantum no colors. No quarks no biology, no biology and every thing you've learned to save folks would not work. Science as we understand, observe and can replicate it must be correct. Incomplete sure but incorrect? No.
So we agree then, except for all the other lnowledge fields depending on evolution. Even if I was shocked to find out that some animals were created in their present form [very unlikely], biology would still be a science. My iPhone would still work. Regardless of how we got here, here we are.
Quote:
Militant atheists should not take issue with you for your agnosticism, but when you make statements like evolution is possible rather than a certitude, then yes they need to take you to task.
History is full of accepted scientific belief changing when new data emerges. That whole alchemy thing was a bit embarrassing, even though you can change one element to another. Evolution occurring? Impossible to be precise with numbers, but greater than 95% that evolution has been occurring. It's just not proof that deities don't exist.

Quote:
As far as do as you please...Come on the best example you can come up with is the actions of minors without parental consent? Find me an atheist that is conservative and has argued that minors should be able to do as they please, have others pay for it and I will dissent. Find me one that thinks calling you a name and being rude stops the debate and I'll ask who they think they are.

Find me one that did not at first argue from a position of science and again I'll call them out. The religious on the other hand have no foundation for such discussion. They result to insults and impoliteness because they have no scientific position. When one argues from the point of an ancient text being divine truth in contradiction to all of science a bit of name calling is to be expected.

If one insisted that blood humors were the cause of disease would you not scoff? There is far too much importance placed on politeness. When debating such important issues politeness should never be a concern. Veracity on the other hand should be of the utmost importance.
Ok, the abortion thing does not come up much. But you do know that we still use bloodletting as a treatment, right? Chemical, electrolyte and cellular imbalances of blood is still a big issue, they have been better described in the last 100 years though. Ask a hematologist. Politeness is almost always the best way to go. People respond better, learn better, and accept retraining better (usually) if you are respectful. Even in an emergency looking at the person and saying "I hear you, but we are still going to do this my way, and I'll explain why later. "
Then seek him out and explain it later. I have had young medics come up with ideas that were better than whats in the books, and I took their advice and used it.

Quote:
Feelly weelings have no place in such a conversation and only serve as a politically and cowardly distraction.
Rude behavior is evidence of discomfort and a refuge of men that are not secure in their own skin and afraid of something. It's an attempt to stifle debate, usually by someone that's keeping score, NOT in search of knowledge.

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-04-2013 at 06:04..
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36   #60
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Rude behavior is evidence of discomfort and a refuge of men that are not secure in their own skin and afraid of something. It's an attempt to stifle debate, usually by someone that's keeping score, NOT in search of knowledge.
Not really. Most often it's an emotional response to annoying people. You're deluding yourself if you think people are rude to you because you've made them insecure or afraid. You're just an annoying individual. Like a yappy dog that won't shut up. There's no point to its yapping... it isn't making any sense... it's just grating on the nerves.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:

Closed Thread