Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 21:38   #1
SARDG

Why I don't recommend purse-carry

Off-duty Polk deputy has purse snatched at Publix

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...lk_deputy.html

This is actually the second female deputy's purse snatching in Central-West Florida this week. Here's the other:

Suspect tries to snatch wrong purse: a deputy's

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news..._deputy_s.html

This deputy chased after the bad guy and arrested him, but took her licks doing it.

When my purse was snatched I also chased after the guy - and caught up with him as he jumped head-first into the stolen car his buddy was driving. I hung on to the car for a while before bailing and bouncing off the pavement.

Nothing good can come of purse-carry. You will more than likely be supplying criminals with a gun, along with your cash, credit cards, and ID.

Last edited by SARDG; 05-19-2013 at 21:38..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07   #2
windancr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Off-duty Polk deputy has purse snatched at Publix

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...lk_deputy.html

This is actually the second female deputy's purse snatching in Central-West Florida this week. Here's the other:

Suspect tries to snatch wrong purse: a deputy's

This deputy chased after the bad guy and arrested him, but took her licks doing it.

When my purse was snatched I also chased after the guy - and caught up with him as he jumped head-first into the stolen car his buddy was driving. I hung on to the car for a while before bailing and bouncing off the pavement.

Nothing good can come of purse-carry. You will more than likely be supplying criminals with a gun, along with your cash, credit cards, and ID.
I don't purse carry. And I don't even carry my drivers license and ccw in my purse. Also do not carry the house key in my purse either.

My thinking is that if someone has my purse, they have just the regular stuff. Small make up bag, small writing tablet, one sharpie, one pencil, one pen, and a few blank index cards. Also some glucose tablets, an emergency inhaler, sun glasses, just the usual stuff.

I don't want anyone having my driver's license, house key,
and my ccw license. They would have time to get to my house and ransack it, or able to come back later for robbery, and most certainly would have access to any weapons in my house.

I wear jeans, and have the keys in a front pocket. Have my drivers license and ccw either in a pocket or in the holster.

I have hoped that I don't ever have to tell an officer that I am licensed to carry and have a weapon with me BUT the license and ccw are in the holster with my weapon. Now, how would he like to proceed???

Alex
windancr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45   #3
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by windancr View Post
I don't purse carry. And I don't even carry my drivers license and ccw in my purse. Also do not carry the house key in my purse either...

...I wear jeans, and have the keys in a front pocket. Have my drivers license and ccw either in a pocket or in the holster.

I have hoped that I don't ever have to tell an officer that I am licensed to carry and have a weapon with me BUT the license and ccw are in the holster with my weapon. Now, how would he like to proceed???
I've gone one better - I simply don’t carry a purse 99% of the time anymore. On the rare occasion that I do, it's with a shoulder strap and worn over my neck. My gun, ID, and money remain on my person. Maybe some lipstick. In general, everything I now need can be kept in my small pants or shorts pockets. I don't even carry my Epi Pen anymore, but that and other potential necessities remain in my vehicle.

I wouldn't have a concern whatsoever about presenting to an officer, the scenario of carrying a gun and not having my ID/CCW as 'my purse was just stolen with them in there.' Not likely to ever happen though...
Old 05-21-2013, 23:02   #4
AZ Husker

The original poster is a cop running after a moving car and trying to jump into an open window. No wonder she couldn't access her gun! But carry options are very limited to most women, unless you live in Minnesota and wear a flannel shirt. My girlfriend studied and picked out a top quality Coronado bag with easy access to the dedicated gun pocket yet still provides plenty of room for her girly stuff and huge billfold. I've taught her to walk with the purse strap over her shoulder and on her left side. When she's walking her hand can be on the grip of her G19 and not one person would notice.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06   #5
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
The original poster is a cop running after a moving car and trying to jump into an open window. No wonder she couldn't access her gun! But carry options are very limited to most women, unless you live in Minnesota and wear a flannel shirt. My girlfriend studied and picked out a top quality Coronado bag...
Me? Not a cop... but I am a First Responder and former Navy and have chased after at least one other perceived criminal while others stood around or sat and watched from their vehicle. I've never been good at standing around and watching man's injustice to man or woman - especially if it's this woman!

But I wasn't trying to jump into the window - my purse snatcher was, and did! My hope was actually to catch up with him and get my purse back. Not certain how I would have accomplished that if I had caught up before he entered the vehicle as I am 5'9", was wearing 2" heels, and the perp was still taller and bigger than I was. Accessing my gun has little to do with it as you can't shoot purse snatchers unless the crime escalates to life-threatening. Probably the only way I could have won this battle would have been OC (pepper spray) on my belt and assessable with my free hand as one arm was busy holding onto the 'B' pillar of the car. I could have filled the vehicle and the guy's faces with OC.

One thing to note - crime happens quickly and violently and is often over before you've time to realize what happened. If you make a decision to act (or react), it better be quick or the opportunity is lost. There is a lot to think about and process in the few seconds that crimes against persons take. I prolonged the above event somewhat. When I bounced off the pavement, I looked in my still clinched hand and saw my car keys, ran back to my car, and chased after their car. No, didn't find them. My purse was found on the floorboard of a stolen car later that evening; still running and with the ignition punched out.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52   #6
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i purse is a poor holster for a gun, especially considering all the other on-body options out there.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:42   #7
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
i purse is a poor holster for a gun, especially considering all the other on-body options out there.
I have just about given up on trying to convince other women of that on this forum. It is what it is, but...
  • men are bigger!
  • men are stronger!
  • criminals are frequently high, and even if they are not, have little or nothing to lose!
If you are a woman and carrying a purse, you will likely lose it in a showdown with a bad guy. Most women don't react like me or that second deputy above. When I went into the police station for a lineup a couple of days after the event there was another gal sitting in the lobby before the detectives came out. I asked her if she had her purse taken that Saturday in that area and she nodded yes. She was a complete and total basket case and still shaking... could hardly verbalize. Injury and perhaps PTSD is what victims have to look forward to. Plus the police report, cancelling credit cards, and getting new ID...
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25   #8
AZ Husker

While walking keep that purse over your right sholder cross-body and your right hand on the butt of the gun. The minute someone tries to grab it you've got the gun in your hand (assuming you have a dedicated holster purse). Don't fight them for it, when they pull it from you the gun will stay with you. Now you have the upper hand. The minute they try to move toward you shoot them! They've already proven their criminal intent.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:22   #9
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
While walking keep that purse over your right sholder cross-body and your right hand on the butt of the gun. The minute someone tries to grab it you've got the gun in your hand (assuming you have a dedicated holster purse). Don't fight them for it, when they pull it from you the gun will stay with you. Now you have the upper hand. The minute they try to move toward you shoot them! They've already proven their criminal intent.
I'm certain I know how to carry a purse - even a carry-purse (though I never would).

I've walked through questionable neighborhoods in 'fleet' towns in the Navy around a good portion of the world and managed to hang on to my belongings over those years. But in some of those towns and neighborhoods I expected the worst, so was always vigilant.

Let me reiterate "crime happens quickly and violently and is often over before you've time to realize what happened." I was truly in the middle of exiting my car and wasn't even fully standing erect when suddenly this 6'+ bad guy was in my face - literally. His face and mine were probably 2" from one another as we struggled for my purse - we both had our hands on it. He was "on me" when I was in my most vulnerable position and had ahold of my purse as I exited. (Should I have had my hand on my gun in my purse and shot through the purse?) Because I was exiting my car, I never stowed my keys and that's why I had them clinched in my hand after that ride down the parking lot alongside the getaway car and subsequent bounce off of the pavement.

Now, let's take a hypothetical from there and say that he grabbed my purse, but I still had hold of the gun. (The second he got it, his back was to me and he was sprinting toward the getaway car.) Should I shoot him in the back?? We'd be reading about another Travon Martin case. If a bad guy is retreating (even with your property) there is no longer a threat. You don't shoot someone in the back and not expect Zimmerman as a cell mate - metaphorically. They must prove more than criminal intent - they must be found to be threatening your life. Unarmed purse snatchers are not generally life-threatening.

What's amazing to me is that people who have never personally lived these scenarios always have textbook answers for a solution. It's like the one poster on GT (probably more than one - but one comes to mind because he's "a friend of Ayoob's" ) who plans to take one well-placed shot to the brainstem of any BG he needs to neutralize, and flatten him out. Don't people realize that the crooks didn't read the same books we did and there are no textbooks to read for a criminal action or reaction? One does what they can to be aware, be prepared, be trained, be vigilant - and hope that you are just a little smarter than the other guy.

The other thing... and I see it all the time; perhaps been guilty of similar things in the past myself: (many) women tend to sit their purse on the floor of a restaurant or over the back of their chair, or hook it on a high hook in a restroom stall, or leave it sitting unguarded in a shopping cart, or...

I hope that if something similar happens with your GF, that she has trained. I hope she's vigilant enough that she never has to find out if she trained enough.

As I said, it is what it is. I really rarely post on here any longer about advice for purse-carry because my advice always remains the same - don't do it.

Perhaps in another episode, I can tell the story about my home invasion when I lived in Hawaii and how 3 guys woke me up in bed in the middle of the night as they were putting a pillow case over my head. Does a bedside Glock do any good for those situations when the first thing you know is three guys over-powering you and the pillowcase is already over your head?? I can tell you that the next 30 minutes (or however long) are spent just hoping the high, criminal bastards don't rape or kill you – or rape and then kill you.
Old 06-06-2013, 14:22   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

If you're a woman and getting pummeled by a much larger man, the chances of you pulling a gun on your body to shoot him with is pretty slim too.

Purses may not be the best carry methods but sometimes they may be the only carry method.
Old 06-06-2013, 17:59   #11
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
If you're a woman and getting pummeled by a much larger man, the chances of you pulling a gun on your body to shoot him with is pretty slim too.
The best thing a woman can do is to keep aware of her surroundings and never set herself up for a purse snatching. Purse snatchers don't normally pummel their victims - the act is quick and violent and over in a couple of seconds. If a woman sets herself up for a purse snatching, it will happen very quickly and the only shot she will have is in the purse snatcher's back as he is running away. I hope she's prepared for prison time as there would be no "ground to stand" in that situation, and no threat to think about neutralizing.

Quote:
Purses may not be the best carry methods but sometimes they may be the only carry method.
IMHO... guys who haven't had their purse snatched by a bad guy who is far bigger, stronger, and likely faster, shouldn't suggest carry methods and courses of action for females. You have to have been there and lived it. My story of the actual purse snatching is somewhat unique; I would say that most women don't have the strength, quick reaction, or opportunity to fight back or chase their purse snatcher at all. In my original post it seemed that only one out of the two female deputies did that.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:19   #12
Brandon McLovin

I never carry a purse at all. Just have them for fashion. If I have to carry money or anything like that on me I just put it in my shirt
Brandon McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:25   #13
MKEgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG
What's amazing to me is that people who have never personally lived these scenarios always have textbook answers for a solution.
Quote:
IMHO... guys who haven't had their purse snatched by a bad guy who is far bigger, stronger, and likely faster, shouldn't suggest carry methods and courses of action for females. You have to have been there and lived it.
I don't need to have been dead (or be around someone who is) to know that CPR & an AED are pretty good treatments for cardiac arrest.

But I do get annoyed at the men who think that any woman can carry on-body all the time if she just thinks about it hard enough.
"Change how you dress."
"My daughter wears this holster." (Implying that it would work for anyone.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman
+1

Quote:
I see it all the time; perhaps been guilty of similar things in the past myself: (many) women tend to sit [sic] their purse on the floor of a restaurant or over the back of their chair, or hook it on a high hook in a restroom stall, or leave it sitting unguarded in a shopping cart, or...
That's exactly what happened to the second deputy.
"a man grabbed her purse from a counter"
The first article just says it was taken, nothing about if it was on her body or in her shopping cart.
In public, if my purse is not on me (strap across my body), it is sitting on the seat (restaurant booth) beside me, on the side toward the wall.
The one time I have left it "unattended" (that is, not on me) was at a meet-n-greet where everyone else had guns & I trusted them, and even then it was in sight the whole 45sec I was away from my seat.
MKEgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 18:41   #14
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

So, if a woman were to want to be armed while wearing a slinky Little Black Dress...pray tell, where on her body should she carry the gun? In the inner thigh on a garter holster ala James Bond's villain? Or between the bras's front?

Or maybe women should be dressed in polos, 5.11 tactical pants with gun belt all the time so that they can carry the guns on their hips (the best place for carrying a gun vis-a-vis concealment and quick deployment)?

Or if she were to decide to wear short short/daisy dukes and a flimsy T-shirt? Where should she carry? In a buttpack that is also hard to deploy and susceptible for snatching as well?

Or perhaps women shouldn't be able to be armed while wearing flimsy clothings? This ain't the dark ages. Women should be able to wear what they want to wear and be armed at the same time. That's why there are five hundred different types of concealment carry modes.

We don't live in a perfect world and sometimes people need to make the best choices that fit the particular moments.

Last edited by fnfalman; 06-19-2013 at 18:42..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 23:21   #15
SARDG

I live in SW Florida and wear fairly short-shorts and 'flimsy' tops nearly every day and still manage to carry and conceal my Kahr PM-9. For me, it's like this... when my clothing selection reaches the point where I can't semi-effectively conceal my EDC, it's time to back off, not get a carry purse. (In FL if you accidently reveal your carried gun, it breaks no laws.)

There is a gal on YouTube who demonstrates effective concealment with many different women's fashions - including LBDs where a purse selection may be a small clutch, which is what I was carrying when I had my purse snatched.

When I RO at my club, I wear a polo shirt, tactical pants or shorts, and I open-carry to and from the club. My belt is laden with magazines, a flashlight, GSW kit, Nitrile gloves and my pockets have a squib rod, a knife, cash, and credit and ID cards, and lipstick. Still no purse.
Old 06-25-2013, 20:54   #16
SARDG

Found this home invasion over on Carry Issues:

Purse snatchings aren't generally as violent, but this is an example of how quickly crime unfolds. And again, I have been the victim of both a purse snatching and a home invasion.
Old 06-30-2013, 20:32   #17
Scarlett45
DTOM

I rarely, if ever, purse carry. If I have my gun, it's on me in an IWB holster, or OWB if I'm on my way to the range. I'm a very petite female so my LCP is really the only thing I can hope to conceal on me in the summertime, but it's better than nothing and I'm comfortable shooting it. When it cools off, I can carry my .9mm.

That home invasion video was terrifying (saw it on the news earlier)...when I'm at home (I live in an apt. complex), I pretty much always have one of my guns within reach. I don't walk around with it strapped to me or anything--but I want to know it's close in case something happens, because it can all happen so quickly.

Georgia Club #570
Scarlett45 is offline   Reply With Quote