SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-09-2012, 16:09   #1
Pier23

Light pull weapon for CCW

Gentlefolk,

First, I am a male, so please treat me gently...

My wife, all 5ft 4in 120 lbs of her is getting her CCW. Owing to some arthritis in her hands, she finds it difficult to manipulate a weapon with a stout trigger pull, and my autos tend to bite her hand.

At a gun show, we found a revolver she liked, but it was a cash-only show and I didnt have enough on me. This was a Smith m10, the tag said, short barrel, 1in maybe, but a delightfully light pull.

Any suggestions for a concealable weapon with light pull?

A Smith Bodyguard .38 is OK, an old Colt Agent .38 appears to work pretty well for her, but every woman should have her own arsenal, so thoughts appreciated.

Thx!
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:44   #2
Veedubklown

The lady-smith line of revolvers are tuned for a lighter trigger pull, you may want to look at some of those.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10   #3
SARDG

The later versions of the LadySmith revolvers have apparently already been the victim of Smith's Corporate Counsel and the trigger weights when shooting double-action are likely too stiff for some with arthritis. I see some ladies with arthritis who cannot pull the trigger at all. To make things worse, some LadySmiths have internal hammers and cannot be shot in single-action - a moot point perhaps as I've also observed women with arthritis who cannot pull the hammer back to shoot single-action on many wheelguns.

Here are some additional points to ponder:
a) A revolver with a trigger job may be usable, but
b) A trigger job modification may not be recommended on a carry-handgun because of both safety and legal issues and could affect reliability
c) Nearly any old DAO semi-auto will have a more usable trigger weight (not DA/SA as the first shot has to pull the hammer)...
d) but the user must be able to operate the action - to load and clear the gun if nothing else - and that's always the rub.

Personally, I would think that a revolver with a trigger job would be the best option for your wife, but remain aware of "b)" above.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote