Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2013, 16:49   #1
teweekley

I have to buy new door locks now

My best friend from high school was over for the new year. He showed me a $15 lock pick kit that he keeps in his wallet (I mentioned to him he probably wouldn't want to get caught with that in his pocket if he got in trouble for something). In the past, I've read about how to pick locks and how locks work in general. He loaned the set to me to try out on locks around the house. The first and only lock I tried was my front door. To my surprise, I unlocked it in under a minute! I'm thinking to myself, "Okay, this is not cool. Time to buy newer locks." The locks on my doors are the older type with the popout knob, but are of the 5 tumbler pin type. It's time to replace them anyways.
Red Hat Certified Engineer

teweekley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:00   #2
tarpleyg

Here's a hint...you will NOT find the type of locks you are looking for at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any of the other big box stores. Go to a locksmith or two and get some solid advice.

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:19   #3
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I'd rather my locks get picked than my door kicked in. Locks are to keep the honest people honest.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:22   #4
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by teweekley View Post
My best friend from high school was over for the new year. He showed me a $15 lock pick kit that he keeps in his wallet (I mentioned to him he probably wouldn't want to get caught with that in his pocket if he got in trouble for something). In the past, I've read about how to pick locks and how locks work in general. He loaned the set to me to try out on locks around the house. The first and only lock I tried was my front door. To my surprise, I unlocked it in under a minute! I'm thinking to myself, "Okay, this is not cool. Time to buy newer locks." The locks on my doors are the older type with the popout knob, but are of the 5 tumbler pin type. It's time to replace them anyways.
Know the brand or model number of the kit?

I'd like to try my hand at it.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:24   #5
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Medeco locks, made in Virginia (a proud right to work state).
Old 01-01-2013, 17:46   #6
crnama
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Good luck finding a lock you can't pick. Even the Medeco locks can be picked just go to youtube and you can see it being done. When we moved into our new house I wanted to get some good locks for the doors and reinforce the door jambs. Like others said locks are there only to slow someone down if they want in they will get in it is only a matter of time.
crnama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:49   #7
*ASH*

replace the doors , locks dont mean squat , get a high security reinforced door with pins .

costly thou
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:53   #8
The Fed

You guys are way behind the times. Never heard of bump keys?

The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:59   #9
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

Read up on lock bumping and bump key before you buy. It's a technique that picks a lock very quickly.

A Nation of Cowards

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and doesn't help your business.
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:06   #10
The Fed

Here's a better explanation for those who don't know how works work. My brother was a locksmith and I play around with locks when necessary.

The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:40   #11
Huaco Kid

I had a neighbor that bought a very, very expensive front and rear door with top of the line locks. For the safety of his family.

He seemed to not realize that his front door had a foot-wide piece of glass, floor to ceiling, on each side of it.

>> He was the same guy, after he bought the doors, that I bet I could get into his house in two minutes, without using tools (or breaking his front door glass).

He accepted the bet until he found out that I was going to pull down some vinyl siding, move some fluffy insulation out of the way and push through the drywall into his kitchen. >>

Last edited by Huaco Kid; 01-01-2013 at 18:43..
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:48   #12
wrenrj1

That's why I have these big plywood things hanging inside and above every door with big spikes that swing down when the door is opened. Overkill? I think not. Come on in mister handy key man...

-Jack Handy (not).
Old 01-01-2013, 19:36   #13
teweekley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Know the brand or model number of the kit?

I'd like to try my hand at it.
Sorry, can't help you with the brand or model. My buddy said he bought it online for $15. Here's a picture of it if you want to search it out. It's the size of a credit card and about as thick as three stacked cards.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by teweekley; 01-01-2013 at 19:37..
Old 01-01-2013, 19:42   #14
teweekley

Here's two sources I found for the kit:

http://dx.com/p/credit-card-lock-pic...iece-set-36264

http://www.trueswords.com/credit-car...se-p-5947.html

Old 01-01-2013, 19:42   #15
NorthernAlpine
RLTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnama View Post
Good luck finding a lock you can't pick. Even the Medeco locks can be picked just go to youtube and you can see it being done. When we moved into our new house I wanted to get some good locks for the doors and reinforce the door jambs. Like others said locks are there only to slow someone down if they want in they will get in it is only a matter of time.
The # of people who can actually pick a Medeco is absurdly small, despite what Youtube would have you believe. They are more expensive but work only as well as your door is solid.

Call a locksmith and ask him if he carries modified/anti-pick pins for your brand of locks you currently have installed. You can keep the same locks, same keys, and just have 2-3 new pins installed on your doors. Should save you enough to buy door reinforcement kits for your doors.

The reality is though, is entry to your house via a broken window just as easy? If someone wants to get in, they're going to get in.
Bren
NorthernAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:49   #16
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

get an alarm that has a battery and cell phoen back up....

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:49   #17
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco Kid View Post
I had a neighbor that bought a very, very expensive front and rear door with top of the line locks. For the safety of his family.

He seemed to not realize that his front door had a foot-wide piece of glass, floor to ceiling, on each side of it.

>> He was the same guy, after he bought the doors, that I bet I could get into his house in two minutes, without using tools (or breaking his front door glass).

He accepted the bet until he found out that I was going to pull down some vinyl siding, move some fluffy insulation out of the way and push through the drywall into his kitchen. >>
You have completely ignored the romex barrier at knee level
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:48   #18
G17Jake

At the last apartment I lived in, a woman from an apartment upstairs from me asked to use my phone because she was locked out.

I asked her if she locked the deadbolt. She said no, just the lock in the doorknob. I told her she didn't need a key.

We went upstairs to her door, and with a credit card I opened her door probably faster than she could have with the key.

I told her I always lock the deadbolt and recommended she does too. She agreed.
G17Jake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:55   #19
boone10
Glockeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teweekley View Post
Why would somebody have such a kit on them at all times? That just screams CRIMINAL!
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:56   #20
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

It's pointless to spend a ton of money on door locks without addressing the strength of every penetration in your structure: doors, windows, gable end vents, skylights, etc.

Any average-sized person could kick in the typical residential door, even with a deadbolt, if they know where to focus the pressure. You're not going to keep people out.

The best you can do is secure the most important stuff inside. Rather than hardening every entry point, you'll save tens of thousands of dollars just buying a decent safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone10 View Post
Why would somebody have such a kit on them at all times? That just screams CRIMINAL!
I have such a kit with me almost all the time. I'm in building maintenance, on-call every 6 weeks and since I live in the same small city in which I work, I'm often called in out of convenience. Like guns, lock picks are just tools. How they are used is up to the owner.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin

Last edited by Kevin108; 01-01-2013 at 21:00..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:00   #21
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone10 View Post
I used to get locked in security buildings on occasion.

Getting out can be more important than getting in.

I spit at Master Locks.

http://deviating.net/lockpicking/resources.html

Last edited by TKM; 01-01-2013 at 21:00..
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:05   #22
wlkjr

I've installed these on several of my customers doors.
http://prime-line-products.com/home4...&cItem=U+10826
Can't be used when leaving but gives good security when at home.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:11   #23
Adjuster

I used to have access to a gun similar to this one. It worked every time and was very simple to use. It required no special skills or practice. Just stick the pin in the lock and start pulling the trigger. The one I was using appeared to be an antique. It was found in the garage of a house my friends father purchased. It was probably worth some money. It was a full kit in a box with instruction manual that appeared to be maybe from the 1950's by the artwork on the box and the printed manual. No one knew what it was or bothered with it thinking it would require some great locksmithing skill. I read the directions and was opening locks in an hour. Opened several doors for locked out neighbors in the area.

http://dx.com/p/manual-pick-gun-5-pi...=36264&u=17606

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:12   #24
mixflip

I have a security door but sadly have a huge sliding glass door not far from it. So I just tell myself... always be prepared to deal with a home invader regardless of our steel security door.
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 22:41   #25
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Most theives wouldn't even try to pick your lock. someone broke into my neighbors house while I was watching TV one afternoon. Took them one good shoulder check and they were in.

By the time I thought "What was that noise", sat down my soda, muted my TV and and walked over to look out the window they were jumping in their car with around $2K in jewelry and cash in their pockets.