Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 21:42   #21
Any Cal.

You might define accuracy goals and distances, possibly along with expected conditions. If well lit, matte black target sights work well, but in the woods they can disappear easily. Hitting a milk jug @ 60yds isn't difficult w/ decent sights, a 4" group @ 100yds is a whole different discipline. Just having good sights and or a good trigger can be more important than the potential accuracy. You also need to be sure your loads are up to the task, and your own skills. See if you can shoot anything accurately a the distances you want, maybe you have enough gun already. None of this is meant to be a slam, just trying to give some food for thought.

If I had to hit a paper plate at 100yds at dusk with a G20, I think I would use the rail to mount it to a scoped .300 Win Mag....:-)
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:27   #22
PsTaN

Carver now makes a mount for the FF3 and STS that wouldnt require a slide mill .... it's fairly pricey and wouldnt be as clean .... but reversable if you wanted to remove the optic.

http://bb-enterprise.biz/item180057.ctlg

PsTaN

Last edited by PsTaN; 01-06-2013 at 22:29..
PsTaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 14:53   #23
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
Thanks for the input.
The RMR is a bit expensive for me, I was looking at eather a J-Point or FF3, leaning more toward the later
I have had the J-Point on the G20 for about six years and never had a problem. Next project is probably a rugged RMR.
I am a huge red dot fan. Too old to see regular sights and the red dots are now the only way to go. Faster, good to 100 yards, and real good in poor lighting.
Old 01-10-2013, 14:55   #24
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator378 View Post
I have had the J-Point on the G20 for about six years and never had a problem. Next project is probably a rugged RMR.
I am a huge red dot fan. Too old to see regular sights and the red dots are now the only way to go. Faster, good to 100 yards, and real good in poor lighting.
I can vouch for this, as I've shot Gators G20. Simply awesome to have the dot.... With more practice I think I could shoot golf ball sized holes at 25-35y ALL DAY LONG.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:28   #25
Ladd Gardner

Hey, guys,

Love my Glock 20LS with Burris FFIII. I've hunted with it, and backpacked with it, and exposed it to several thousand rounds of 180gr 1250fps 10mm, and the sight is doing just fine. Very, very happy with this setup.

The 10 Ring
Ladd Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 20:24   #26
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Incredible specimen, sir!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-14-2013, 22:01   #27
Grizzz

Love at first sight !!

That is one beautiful piece of machine. I need one!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Gardner View Post
Hey, guys,

Love my Glock 20LS with Burris FFIII. I've hunted with it, and backpacked with it, and exposed it to several thousand rounds of 180gr 1250fps 10mm, and the sight is doing just fine. Very, very happy with this setup.

The 10 Ring
Old 01-14-2013, 22:19   #28
Ladd Gardner

Thank you, Nick and Grizzz!

Had it at the range, today, in Basalt, CO, and I was super pleased with the results. My aging eyes (I'm 62) do much better with the crisp Burris 8MOA dot than they do the cowitnessed Ameriglo sights. I love this setup, big time. Thanks for your kind remarks and interest.

The 10 Ring
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33   #29
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Thank you, Nick and Grizzz!

Had it at the range, today, in Basalt, CO, and I was super pleased with the results. My aging eyes (I'm 62) do much better with the crisp Burris 8MOA dot than they do the cowitnessed Ameriglo sights. I love this setup, big time. Thanks for your kind remarks and interest.

The 10 Ring
You've got my admiration.... Here's MY baby (I sold my G20L long ago but ordered my custom 10mm 1911 longslide with part of the funds)...

The 10 Ring

I thought about putting a FF3 on it. I might BUY the FF3 and use it for my Ruger SBH and later, TRY it out some day with the mount before milling my 1911. That way, I know for SURE if I want it or not.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40   #30
Ladd Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
You've got my admiration.... Here's MY baby (I sold my G20L long ago but ordered my custom 10mm 1911 longslide with part of the funds)...

I thought about putting a FF3 on it. I might BUY the FF3 and use it for my Ruger SBH and later, TRY it out some day with the mount before milling my 1911. That way, I know for SURE if I want it or not.
That's a work of art, my friend.

I don't think I'd ever machine that pistol's slide to mount any kind of red dot sight. That'd be sacrilegious. It's friggin' awesome.

I wanted a hunter, but I started with a $500 gun and didn't care about aesthetics, much. Your 1911 is way too pretty to machine, IMO.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41   #31
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
That's a work of art, my friend.

I don't think I'd ever machine that pistol's slide to mount any kind of red dot sight. That'd be sacrilegious. It's friggin' awesome.

I wanted a hunter, but I started with a $500 gun and didn't care about aesthetics, much. Your 1911 is way too pretty to machine, IMO.
Yea, that's how I feel... but I still wanna mount the FF3 on it without milling the slide. I can always put the adjustable rears back on when I'm done testing. Dunno...

Thanks though

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01   #32
Ladd Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Yea, that's how I feel... but I still wanna mount the FF3 on it without milling the slide. I can always put the adjustable rears back on when I'm done testing. Dunno...

Thanks though
I never looked at the Burris mount options because I ordered the new upper complete, with Lone Wolf Distributor's "slide melt," titanium trigger components (safety plunger, striker, etc.) and I just took my buddy at LWD's recommendation vis a vis the red dot sight.

I couldn't see dumping $600+ (with mount) on a Trijicon RMR for a gun I'd be throwing in a saddle bag to take into the Colorado timber on hunts, camping etc.

This little sight has gotten wet (not immersed) plenty of times, and I've had it out in sub-zero temps many times. It has always worked, flawlessly.

I had the 'smith install Ameriglo sights, too -- "cowitnessed" -- in the event the red dot ever goes down, but I've never had to use them.

All I can say is that shooting with a red dot is far more "intuitive" than I would've thought. It was disconcerting the first trip to the range because it exaggerates your movement when you look at that little dot. You have to unlearn "front sight discipline" and relearn "target fixation."

After years of shooting with iron sights, it's been like trying to rub my stomach, while patting my head; just very foreign to what I've learned, because you look THROUGH the "dot" and make the target your complete focus.

Anyway, once you get comfortable with relearning a different sight/target-acquisition technique, it's much more intuitive and much easier to shoot accurately.

I am putting all my rounds inside a fist-sized group at 25 yards, off-hand, which is something I'd never have been able to do, before, with my stock Glock sights.

I love this little sight, and it's a gas to shoot. It cost me about $250+/- and is the best investment I've ever made in transforming my shooting.

Last edited by Ladd Gardner; 01-15-2013 at 12:01..
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05   #33
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
I never looked at the Burris mount options because I ordered the new upper complete, with Lone Wolf Distributor's "slide melt," titanium trigger components (safety plunger, striker, etc.) and I just took my buddy at LWD's recommendation vis a vis the red dot sight.

I couldn't see dumping $600+ (with mount) on a Trijicon RMR for a gun I'd be throwing in a saddle bag to take into the Colorado timber on hunts, camping etc.

This little sight has gotten wet (not immersed) plenty of times, and I've had it out in sub-zero temps many times. It has always worked, flawlessly.

I had the 'smith install Ameriglo sights, too -- "cowitnessed" -- in the event the red dot ever goes down, but I've never had to use them.

All I can say is that shooting with a red dot is far more "intuitive" than I would've thought. It was disconcerting the first trip to the range because it exaggerates your movement when you look at that little dot. You have to unlearn "front sight discipline" and relearn "target fixation."

After years of shooting with iron sights, it's been like trying to rub my stomach, while patting my head; just very foreign to what I've learned, because you look THROUGH the "dot" and make the target your complete focus.

Anyway, once you get comfortable with relearning a different sight/target-acquisition technique, it's much more intuitive and much easier to shoot accurately.

I am putting all my rounds inside a fist-sized group at 25 yards, off-hand, which is something I'd never have been able to do, before, with my stock Glock sights.

I love this little sight, and it's a gas to shoot. It cost me about $250+/- and is the best investment I've ever made in transforming my shooting.
Yep. I've only fired my buddy's (gator378 here on GT) JPoint'd G20.... Its pretty amazing to use the dot system... I was shooting offhand, too, and had nice clusters of holes (or one big hole) at 25 yards .... pretty impressive to be able to do that. What's awesome is, that I can do the same thing with OPEN sights with my Fusion (above), so I'm almost scared to think of what a DOT SIGHT could do.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56   #34
gofastman

my FF3 is on the way!
I went with the 3 MOA unit.
I plan on getting the slide milled eventually, but for now I got the dovetail mount.
Im gonna put some Loctite 638 (retaining compound) on the dove tail, and some Vibra-tite VC-3 on the screws and hope it stays put!

Last edited by gofastman; 02-02-2013 at 09:56..
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05   #35
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
my FF3 is on the way!
I plan on getting the slide milled eventually, but for now I got the dovetail mount.
Im gonna put some Loctite 638 (retaining compound) on the dove tail, and some Vibra-tite VC-3 on the screws and hope it stays put!
I'll hopefully be ordering mine in a week or so ... can't wait!

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42   #36
Ryno12
NRA Life Member

Quote:
my FF3 is on the way!
A little on the screws with proper torque should siffice. Don't over tighten them. The mount will also have to be milled, unless Burris changed their design. Enjoy your FF3!!
Ryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04   #37
Ladd Gardner

Congrats on the FF3, guys.

For those of you who haven't already placed an order, I would strongly recommend the 8MOA unit for pistol applications, unless your eyes are way better than mine. The 8 MOA unit is ideal for targets out to 50 yards. Can't imagine a self-defense situation where it wouldn't be better than the 3 MOA unit, and I use my 8 MOA for hunting, 'cause I'm never planning on a pistol shot (game) outside the 50 yrd range, anyhow.