GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2013, 18:31   #21
jr05

Walmart has been out of everything I shoot.

I was at the LGS though and found three boxes of CCI SV 500 round boxes for $28 each. I bought 2 and my friend bought the last one. $28 for CCI SV is a good deal even without this whole ammo mess.
jr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:47   #22
fusegsp

It seems to be in short supply here in central Iowa as well. Everywhere I go has plenty of .17 HMR, .22 Mag, and .22 short though.
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 19:02   #23
Faulkner
Patriot

Oh my, is there some kind of ammo shortage again?

I'm glad I stored up, like, when there wasn't a perceived crisis about that has driven panic buying.
Old 01-07-2013, 21:37   #24
Kloogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogee View Post
I haven't been able to find .22LR bulk packs anywhere locally at either the big box stores (wallyworld, dick's,etc) or at local gun shops.

I just ordered some off of Cabelas, thanks for the tip!

ETA: forgot to mention I've had a heck of a time finding the bulk packs anywhere online too.
My Cabelas order was delivered today. Woohoo!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:39   #25
jay-bird
goin' broke

[QUOTE=Kloogee;19834446]My Cabelas order was delivered today. Woohoo!

Mine too! It's great plinking ammo. But the difference in accuracy between Federal Bulk and CCI is obvious.

Same gun (Ruger Mark iii, same distance (10 yards), same shooter (Me) - My Federal groups were half-dollar size. My CCI groups were one big hole the size of a quarter.
jay-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08   #26
Brucev

In my area .22 LR ammo is in short supply. Wal-Mart locations are all sold out.

However... the other day I found a S&W 15-22 at a Wal-Mart at the very good price of $447. So I bought it. Of course that Wal-Mart was sold out of .22 LR ammo. Happily a church member told me of a gun shop about 30 miles away where she'd found .22 LR available. I drove over and found the shop had plenty of ammo. I bought 4 bricks of American Eagle .22 LR HP, which was the limit they allowed for a single customer purchase. I was told that if I came back in a couple of days I could buy another couple of bricks. This store had plenty of the 100 rd. plastic box CCI Mini-Mags, etc. at "normal" prices. Cool. I will be buying the CCI Mini-Mags for a Marvel .22 LR Conversion Unit. The America Eagle will be used in my 15-22.

I have a number of friends who are not so involved in the shooting sports. They do however go shopping in various hardware stores, etc. Happily they are keeping their eyes open for ammo. If and when they find .22 LR ammo, they are buying it for me. I of course reimburse them. It makes things easier to find ammo.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 00:15   #27
gradyk

My local wal mart just got in 4 bricks of win in black boxes. They had 2 bricks taped together for 45.00. Ive never seen that done before. But anyway I bought 2 and I came back the next day and the other 2 were gone. Im self employed so I have to buy when I get paid from my jobs. And I never spend more than the cash in my pocket.
gradyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 00:47   #28
never enough

.22lr is sold out here in vegas.I've found myself shooting 22 short more lately as theres plenty of that on the shelfs and am looking for something in 22 mag as thats available as well
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57   #29
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusegsp View Post
It seems to be in short supply here in central Iowa as well. Everywhere I go has plenty of .17 HMR, .22 Mag, and .22 short though.
That's what I've found here, too. Maybe this is a good time to dump some of the Remington Golden I bought a couple of years ago...
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 20:55   #30
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
I was going through some old boxes and found a box of 550 rounds of .22 Federal, I think. Need to go through some more stuff!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22   #31
J_Rico

22lr has vanished from shelves around here as well. All the online vendors with whom I usually deal are out as well.

Why is this?

With the 'Ban Panic', it is easy to understand why ARs, standard capacity mags or 5.56mm would be in high demand. But why 22lr?

Theodore Roosevelt
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50   #32
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rico View Post
22lr has vanished from shelves around here as well. All the online vendors with whom I usually deal are out as well.

Why is this?

With the 'Ban Panic', it is easy to understand why ARs, standard capacity mags or 5.56mm would be in high demand. But why 22lr?
Probably the most commonly owned and most routinely used caliber in America. Not reloadable. Normally the least expensive. Even now... $20/500 is $.05/rd. which certainly beats the average cost of 9mm, .38 Special, .40S&W or .45 ACP.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00   #33
J_Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Probably the most commonly owned and most routinely used caliber in America. Not reloadable. Normally the least expensive. Even now... $20/500 is $.05/rd. which certainly beats the average cost of 9mm, .38 Special, .40S&W or .45 ACP.
That would make sense, I just do not remember rimfire drying up during the last big ammo shortage.

I seem to remember only being able to find rimfire and shotgun shells last time. Maybe I misremeber?

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-22-2013, 19:54   #34
FyreCalG17
Gen4 Fondler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rico View Post
That would make sense, I just do not remember rimfire drying up during the last big ammo shortage.

I seem to remember only being able to find rimfire and shotgun shells last time. Maybe I misremeber?
The shortage is probably due to everyone buying the AR-style 22's and getting the conversion kits for their real AR's. Last time I was in Academy Sports, people were lined up buying the M&P 15-22's like they were hotcakes. The guys behind the counter were handing them out as fast as they could fill out the paperwork.
I just want some to do a little squirrel hunting since deer season is closed.
Old 01-22-2013, 20:27   #35
uaengineer

Hardly any to be found in this part of the country unless you know which "hole in the wall" stores to look in, but one that I frequent is selling it at 100+% more than what it's worth..cheap $2/50 ammo for $5/50 and such. Decided to try out a few Walmarts in the area and happened to find several boxes of the bulk CCI "Tactical"..read: Mini Mags $25/375. Only got one though because I was picking up some .45 also and had lucked up on obtaining several thousand rounds of .22 recently for cheap.

I'm afraid as more and more fear is driven the next few years of guns or ammo that might be taken away (we won't let them) and more people turn to the .22 and really stockpile up for times like right now or worse, we'll be seeing $50/500 within 3-4 years and $100/500 bulk in the next decade. I know the stuff is made dirt cheap and I know I'm probably wayyy off here, but I think the days of seeing boxes and boxes of this stuff sitting on the shelf at Walmart like say, last summer, are over for a long time...or at least for the next 4 years...
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16   #36
J_Rico

You may be correct, but I hope not.

I am thinking (praying) that nothing of any real substance will come of all this political posturing. In a few months to a year we will see stocked shelves and pre-panic pricing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51   #37
uaengineer

I remember 4 years ago it seemed like it took at least a year for stock to start coming back and full shelves and seeing primers and powder readily available. But there was never any mention politically of any bans or such and many people got complacent thinking that just because the guy signs a law letting you carry in federal parks that he's gonna sign up for the NRA tomorrow and be your buddy. Being in campaign mode for the past 4 years they must pander to every group, and that's all that signing that law was about. I know of several people that said they'd vote for him again because he never did anything to hurt the 2A. I'd like to know how they feel about that now even though the other guy let a AWB go thru in his own state. That being said, there's no reelection (fortunately still have the 22nd amendment for now) and he's going with the full court press on you and me. I mean we're already seeing preppers' homes being raided and doctors telling them they're mentally unfit to own firearms and stripping their 2A rights. I'm rambling, but my point is that even if nothing passes legislatively this issue will remain on the radar and in the media keeping demand at record highs at least till next election. Throw in another "mass shooting" and that demand increases tenfold instantaneously. Sorry for the rant and hope I'm 200% wrong. Ok, back on topic..who's found some .22 lately?
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12   #38
J_Rico

Quote:
Ok, back on topic..who's found some .22 lately?
Found a couple boxes of Federal Automatch that I do not remember buying when looking for something else this weekend.

Does that count?

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45   #39
kburg

I guess I got the last 2 bricks from Cheaper than Dirt, got them in yesterday...checked back and no longer available...
kburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 00:40   #40
mobilecommand

I found this the other day.. It was covered with blankets and forgot i bought it months ago lol. I just cracked open the shipping box the night i took the picture.

Rimfire Forum
mobilecommand is offline   Reply With Quote