Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:21   #1
Tvov

Water bottles banned...

Huh? Some places are now banning the sale of water bottles??

Massachusettes:
http://www.telegram.com/article/2013...S04&source=rss

I've always thought it is weird enough by itself to buy bottled water (who would have thought to invest in that decades ago?? You would have been laughed at), but it is convenient. But to ban the sale of "single serving" water bottles?

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.

Last edited by Tvov; 01-03-2013 at 06:21..
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51   #2
JohnBT
NRA Patron

The U.S. now consumes more bottled water than any other country. It is said that this creates a pile of empty bottles long enough to run around the entire planet about once per day.
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53   #3
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
The U.S. now consumes more bottled water than any other country. It is said that this creates a pile of empty bottles long enough to run around the entire planet about once per day.
So recycle. Our city water here is so putrid its unfit to drink. Its either filter or bottle.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54   #4
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Well it's just the high capacity water bottles I have a problem wi. No one needs more than ten ounces of water anyways.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06   #5
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
So recycle. Our city water here is so putrid its unfit to drink. Its either filter or bottle.

The entire water bottle industry needs to die in a fire. Just imagine how much you're paying per gallon for tap water imported from another city that also has crappy water.

http://www.brita.com/products/filtering-bottle/

I use this, love it. The cartridge last 2 months or so
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08   #6
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I don't understand the need to be constantly swilling water. The human race made it pretty far without constant "hydration", and most of the folks I see carrying water bottles everywhere they go don't seem to have benefited much from the practice. I think it's just the modern equivalent of leg warmers and headbands.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09   #7
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
The entire water bottle industry needs to die in a fire. Just imagine how much you're paying per gallon for tap water imported from another city that also has crappy water.

I bet the filters in their water filtering facilities are slightly better than the Brita filtering bottle.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10   #8
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
I don't understand the need to be constantly swilling water. The human race made it pretty far without constant "hydration", and most of the folks I see carrying water bottles everywhere they go don't seem to have benefited much from the practice. I think it's just the modern equivalent of leg warmers and headbands.
Maybe you should ask a medical professional about the importance of staying properly hydrated.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11   #9
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
I bet the filters in their water filtering facilities are slightly better than the Brita filtering bottle.

I bet the 300 water bottles every 2 months makes a bigger problem than the 2.5 inch filter being replaced.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11   #10
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Well it's just the high capacity water bottles I have a problem wi. No one needs more than ten ounces of water anyways.
Oh, well, when you put it that way, it makes sense...

lol, jeez, don't start that. You know someone will glom onto this and start a drive about "high capacity bottles"...

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12   #11
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
I bet the 300 water bottles every 2 months makes a bigger problem than the 2.5 inch filter being replaced.
Not if you recycle, right?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13   #12
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Maybe you should ask a medical professional about the importance of staying properly hydrated.
I have asked several in fact. All agreed that while proper hydration is important, constantly sipping from a water bottle is unnecessary and silly.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14   #13
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Not if you recycle, right?

That is a big if. Me personally I made the switch to the Brita bottle to stop from paying $3 to $5 a day buying vending machine drinks at work.

We have no recycling facilities there, so I would have to pile the bottles up on my desk and then take them home each night. It is so much easier, healthier, and cheaper to buy the bottle.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25   #14
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

In my state we have a bottle deposit law for carbonated beverages, so litter comprised of beer and soda bottles and cans is minimal compared to other states I've been in that don't have similar laws. Howsomever, ******* water bottles are everywhere.

I'm also of the opinion that bottled water is, for the most part, nothing more than Linus' blanket for so many people. WTF did they do before bottled water? No one carried canteens around everywhere they went.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Yet before convenient bottled water, we did the same with equally plastic bottles of much less healthy soda/pop (depending on where you live).

Banning them is a pretty stupid idea. People still have to drink and, when the only thing convenient in the office machine or whatever is something full of sugar and chemicals, they will drink that instead.

Want to clean up the plastic? Do it the same way we did with returnable bottles and aluminum cans - pay the guys with the shopping carts who will pick them up beside the road all day long. They are recycleable.

Last edited by Bren; 01-03-2013 at 08:14..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:40   #16
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:

I think I have one of those somewhere.

In some coastal cities, the tap water has so much calcium that you are literally better off drinking a soft drink.

I use a filtered pitcher at home (probably a big reason my Keurig hasn't had any problems with clogged needles) but when you are "out and about" bottled water is convenient. I can't see why people purchase bottled water for their home though.

Where I work, we have to use water coolers as they say the ground is too polluted to drink the water. I can't make sense of that because I believe we are on the city water supply, and the issue is local to our facility (and a few others nearby).

Speaking of all of this, has anyone put one of those "whole house" filters in their house? Which do you recommend? I am talking about the simple filter units, not the enormous three-stage units that some people have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 01-03-2013 at 07:46..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44   #17
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
When water bottles are outlawed, only outlaws will have water bottles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13   #18
RichJ

Quote:
The archaeological record says your statement is incorrect. Throughout antiquity and as far back as early prehistoric sites are known to exist, virtually every campsite or area of prolonged human occupation is located at a constant source of water.

People never got very far from water for a reason.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16   #19
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
The archaeological record says your statement is incorrect. Throughout antiquity and as far back as early prehistoric sites are known to exist, virtually every campsite or area of prolonged human occupation is located at a constant source of water.

Did you purposely choose to misrepresent my point or are you really that dim?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I have asked several in fact. All agreed that while proper hydration is important, constantly sipping from a water bottle is unnecessary and silly.
If you think having a bottle of water means you have to carry it around and constantly sip from it, that may be your thing, but I get one and drink it within a minute or so, unless it's with food. While I have good water where I live, try drinking it from the tap in most of the rest of the country - unless you are a big fan of the taste of lake water, it's not a good idea.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21   #21
RichJ

Quote:
Did you purposely choose to misrepresent my point or are you really that dim?
How did I missrepresent your point? You said the human race made it without constant hydration. I simply stated that is incorrect and that the human race has always needed constant hydration. I didn't just make that up.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22   #22
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:

That'd be a funny sight to see. "Dangit, Chief. We can't keep the first going. We light the bottles on fire and they burst, leaking out the water and extinguishing the fire. Any suggestions?"

Quote:
Yup.

Quote:

As Gwally said - they aren't sipping it 34 times a day.

(I had one new-age woman tell me once I needed my as many ounces of water a day as my weight in pounds. LOL)

If Concord doesn't have a bottle in front of me, do they have a frontal lobotomy?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23   #23
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
If you think having a bottle of water means you have to carry it around and constantly sip from it, that may be your thing, but I get one and drink it within a minute or so, unless it's with food. While I have good water where I live, try drinking it from the tap in most of the rest of the country - unless you are a big fan of the taste of lake water, it's not a good idea.
I'm specifically referring to those people who carry a water bottle with them and constantly sip from it.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24   #24
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
How did I missrepresent your point? You said the human race made it without constant hydration. I simply stated that is incorrect and that the human race has always needed constant hydration. I didn't just make that up.
So you're choosing option 2...
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29   #25
frank_drebin
1-man flash mob

Quote:
I think people should do that.
frank_drebin is offline   Reply With Quote