Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:55   #1
harleystyles

Those with a 617 look at this pic.

Does this just look like a normal dirty cone or does it look damaged to you? I am going to try to buy it from out of state so I can not handle the gun personally, until after the transfer. I have never had a 10 shot but this looks like it is cleaner where the neighboring chambers are. The rest of the gun looks good.

Rimfire Forum
harleystyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 16:04   #2
Unk

Be guessing that will clean right up with a toothbrush and some powder solvent. Could ask the seller to clean his/her revolver and take and send new pictures.

If the price is right I would not hesitate to purchase.

I've sent one(1) S&W back in >50 years of owning the brand [an early Model 59] which they promptly repaired.

Best.

Last edited by Unk; 01-26-2013 at 16:04..
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 16:23   #3
Golddog

If the cylinder is rubbing the forcing cone, as the shiny spots on the cone suggest, it may indicate a misaligned crane, which can create a dreadful trigger pull. I had a couple of Smith revolvers with the problem, and the factory fixed them at no charge, even though one was not bought new by me.

I'd want reassurance from the seller that he can see daylight between the forcing cone and the cylinder when each of the chambers is in firing position.
Golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 18:47   #4
harleystyles

Well... That one sold. Still looking. I posted a few weeks ago about not being able to find one. I finally broke down and created a gunbroker account and started bidding on them.
harleystyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 00:08   #5
DJ Niner

It's normal for the 10-shot guns.

The chambers on either side of the chamber that is under the hammer actually overhang the forcing cone on each side. When the chambered round is fired, the gasses that squirt out through the barrel/cylinder gap scrub the rear surface of the forcing cone consistently, EXCEPT where the chamber mouths on either side overhang the forcing cone. In these areas, you get a slight buildup of residue. Here are a few photos of my 10-shot 617, which is kinda filthy right now (I know, I'm a bad gun owner, yada, yada; I'll clean it one of these days...).

Showing the overhanging chamber from one side:

Rimfire Forum

And the pattern of residue it leaves:

Rimfire Forum

It cleans off just fine; I use a stainless-steel toothbrush-style cleaning brush. That makes short work of any/all powder fouling and lead build-up.

...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 01-27-2013 at 00:13..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote