Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:14   #1
GLK408

Glock barrel vs. Lone Wolf....

I'm using the Sig 357 / Glock 32 conversion barrel in my G23.
Some experts don't like using aftermarket barrels in their carry guns.
Any issues with the LW barrel compared to the factory G32 barrel?

Last edited by GLK408; 01-06-2013 at 09:16..
GLK408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:45   #2
Tombo 65

With the 40/357sig switchover I think going with a stock Glock 32 barrel in your G23 is a better option. Nothing against aftermarket barrels, but I have yet to experience any improvement in velocity, feeding, or accuracy from an aftermarket barrel in any of my Glocks. I think the stock Glock barrel is superior to any of the aftermarket ones, even when using hardcast lead bullets.

I only use an aftermarket barrel if the corresponding Glock OEM barrel isn't an option, like going from 40 to 9 in the G23.
Actually, now I pretty much stick with the cartridge the gun is labeled for. That eliminates as much doubt about performance/reliability as possible.

I used to carry a G32 barrel in my G23. Never had any problems, but I occasionally shoot with a fellow who accidentally put a mag of 357sig in his G23. I'm not sure whether he thought he had the 357sig barrel in it, or simply didn't check the mag before jambing it in the gun. Whatever the cause, the gun fired the first two rounds and then failed to fire the third. No damage to gun or shooter, and the brass simply looked like it had been fireformed to 40s&w. Obviously the accuracy was off, but not by as much as you would expect.

Long story short, if you can remove variables from the equation it's a good thing in my book so I decided to stop shooting 357sig and stick with 40. It's easier to reload (for me), and has more flexibility as far as bullet weight if you are a reloader. I love 357sig, but not as much as 40s&w.

Last edited by Tombo 65; 01-06-2013 at 09:48..
Tombo 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46   #3
yellowlabsrule

The factory barrel is gonna be unsupported unlike the LW. This makes the factory barrel feed better. Take the barrel out, stick a round in it and shake it around, there is a lot of room. The LW has almost no extra room.
yellowlabsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51   #4
Bruce M

From what I have read very few people seem to have problems with aftermarket barrels. However even fewer seem to have problems with the orginal barrel.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51   #5
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLK408 View Post
I'm using the Sig 357 / Glock 32 conversion barrel in my G23. Some experts don't like using aftermarket barrels in their carry guns. Any issues with the LW barrel compared to the factory G32 barrel?
You need to more clearly define the question. It's not that, 'Some experts don't like using aftermarket barrels in their carry guns.' It's more like, aftermarket CONVERSION barrels are known to be something less than 100% reliable when used in ANY gun.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19   #6
blastfact

I run a Lone Wolf in my G20. I've not shot one round through the G20's OEM barrel. The chamber is so sloppy loose. I don't care to have my brass ruined by such a horid design.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29   #7
jeremy1

I have put several thousand rounds through my G26 and G19 with lone wolf barrels. Not a single problem ever from the barrels. I had some very light reloads that wouldn't cycle when I started to reload, but that has nothing to do with the barrel.

Like any gun, reliability is proven at the range, and not a given. The best thing to do is to shoot the crap out of it at the range until you trust it. Even if you found a Glock factory barrel, you would want to test it in your gun prior to carry use.
Old 01-06-2013, 14:15   #8
alwaysshootin

I've never had a single issue with a Lone Wolf barrel, conversion, or otherwise. Would not hesitate using one in my carry firearm! But then, I'm not some expert.
Old 01-06-2013, 15:32   #9
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlabsrule View Post
The factory barrel is gonna be unsupported unlike the LW. This makes the factory barrel feed better. Take the barrel out, stick a round in it and shake it around, there is a lot of room. The LW has almost no extra room.
Negative. The support difference between the more recent Glock and the LW .357sig barrel is negligable at best. The Glock barrel is of better quality and has more than enough support. A tight chamber can degrade reliability.

Last edited by dkf; 01-06-2013 at 15:34..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 18:48   #10
icelandicstud

in 357sig I'd say stick with factory barrel if it's treating you good. from what i've seen the newer factory barrels have a lot more support...full support in the 357sig case. probably cuz it's a bottle neck and feeds great already.
icelandicstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 20:38   #11
GLK408

Thanks for the replies.... I had purchased the LW barrel a while back,just to be able to try the hot .357 Sig round.
At the time the LW barrel was a bit less exspensive,and readily available.
Haven't run much ammo thru it yet,as I have been using .40 mostly. It's good to have a choice of calibers though,easily swapped out!
GLK408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 21:55   #12
PVolk

I have LW barrels for both of my Glocks and have never had an issue. I have no reason not to trust one for carry, although I don't use them as such.

I did notice the LW and Glock barrels have slightly different ramps. My buddy was given a couple hundred rounds of Magtech .40 FMJ (usually shoots Federal FMJ) and he had severe FTF issues with the LW barrel. So it can definitely depend on the ammo selection. But if a certain ammo has a 100% success rate with your LW barrel, then it's hard to argue with that.

Last edited by PVolk; 01-06-2013 at 22:41..
PVolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 21:59   #13
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

Just my 2 cents worth... I bought my LW 40-9 barrel simply to convert my G22 to 9mm sometimes, not really as a replacement for the factory .40 barrel. With that said... it has worked very well and jut seems to get better with the more rounds I put through it. I can't really use cheap ammo with the LW barrel, though. Like TulAmmo... doesn't function too well with the cheap stuff.
Old 01-06-2013, 22:06   #14
SJ 40

If you intend to shoot any lead bullets out of your barrel you maybe interested in reading some of this. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ng+LWD+barrels
It goes on for something like 21 pages but a page or so and one would get the jest of LWD and cast bullets. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19   #15
GMC

Lone Wolf is the way to go. I built a 20L slide, 6 1/2 inch threaded barrel w/comp. All internals for slide from LWD on a 20 SF frame. This pistol is bad @$$ well over 800 lbs of energy, recoil less than my colt 1911, and all drop in. Lone Wolf is where to go.
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45   #16
tbob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Negative. The support difference between the more recent Glock and the LW .357sig barrel is negligable at best. The Glock barrel is of better quality and has more than enough support. A tight chamber can degrade reliability.

In what sense is the Glock barrel of better quality?
tbob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 22:31   #17
AquaHull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
If you intend to shoot any lead bullets out of your barrel you maybe interested in reading some of this. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ng+LWD+barrels
It goes on for something like 21 pages but a page or so and one would get the jest of LWD and cast bullets. SJ 40
I gave up after 40 minutes and 222 posts.

Wasn't someone with that company a "GATE" guy?
AquaHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 00:08   #18
GIG4FUN

well, I bought my Glock 32 barrel from LoneWolf... that is prolly the best of both worlds?

I did put in .357 follower (SP01593-2 .357 Follower) in all of the Magazines I load for it. I'm at least trying to do things close to right.
SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington
GIG4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:09   #19
GMC

Lead

Why would you shoot lead bullets. They are inaccurate, dirty and don't penetrate very deep. Lead vs. Lead Hard Cast go with HC ammo by Buffalo Bore. 220 gr. HC bullet is a great round. Target shooting use HP. HYPER CLEAN is another good round very clean and accurate. 180 gr. HPC by Buffalo Bore great also. I shoot those brands only through my LW 6 1/2 inch threaded barrel w/comp. Never any cycleing or feeding issues. My opinion not all makers of ammo are the same. Find the brand that shoots best and stay with it. I don't shoot reloads or cheap ammo. I trust my Lone Wolf so much that I put away my Colt Govt. to conceal carry and hunt with my 10mm at my side. I might use lead if I was shooting a old 38 cal. or 45 colt revolver. Maybe Not
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 19:39   #20
GWG19

In about a week I can tell you if there will be any issues with a LW barrel. I ordered a threaded barrel to run my Ti-Rant 45 supressor. My load for 45 Acp is a proven load with having loaded over 10,000 loaded and run through several different 1911's. They are hard cast BTW and I have no feeding issues, reliability or accuracy issues. One of the guys I shoot with was running the Hornady Steel Match Ammo is G21, he had a couple of case ruptures due to the unsupported chamber.
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote