GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 14:53   #1
Tmoney33
Senior Member
 
Tmoney33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 106
Ruger SP101 .22lr

So I went into Scheels yesterday and had them order me a Ruger SP101 22. I've always wanted a revolver and with ammo prices going up I figured this is something I could shoot often without taking a loan out. I originally was looking at a Taurus model 94 but read online the trigger sucked. Anybody shoot a SP101 and how was the trigger? I was a little put off by the $579 price tag but think this will be something I'll have for a long time.
__________________
GLOCK certified armorer
G23, G30SF
Tmoney33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:06   #2
ViennaGambit
Senior Member
 
ViennaGambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney33 View Post
So I went into Scheels yesterday and had them order me a Ruger SP101 22. I've always wanted a revolver and with ammo prices going up I figured this is something I could shoot often without taking a loan out. I originally was looking at a Taurus model 94 but read online the trigger sucked. Anybody shoot a SP101 and how was the trigger? I was a little put off by the $579 price tag but think this will be something I'll have for a long time.
Honestly, for not much $100 more you can get the S&W 617. Trigger will be much nicer and its a 10-shot...

I wanted to love the SP101, but the fit and finish on the one I handled was so poor, it turned me off. Sharp edges, scratches etc. The grip angle and in hand feel also seemed off to me - I think replacing the grip with a Hogue may have fixed that...

If you want it go for it - but take a look at the Smith first!
__________________
Your Move.

Last edited by ViennaGambit; 01-06-2013 at 15:08..
ViennaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:19   #3
Outer Rondacker
Senior Member
 
Outer Rondacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 104
I have an sp101 in 357. I cant say much about the 22 model but the 357 mag is a tank its small but handles the shots great. Trigger is a bit stiff and I cleaned up mine a bit and its really smooth now still stiff but its nice. Grip is for a miggets hands so I would get after market one. I always make a joke that after I run out of shots I always have the gun to though at whatever. It will last a lifetime and I know mine is not going to fall apart any time soon. Hope this helps a bit. I would not trade mine for nothing. Well you know what I mean.
__________________
Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Outer Rondacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:34   #4
Tmoney33
Senior Member
 
Tmoney33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
Honestly, for not much $100 more you can get the S&W 617. Trigger will be much nicer and its a 10-shot...

I wanted to love the SP101, but the fit and finish on the one I handled was so poor, it turned me off. Sharp edges, scratches etc. The grip angle and in hand feel also seemed off to me - I think replacing the grip with a Hogue may have fixed that...

If you want it go for it - but take a look at the Smith first!
I was talking to my FFL a few weeks ago and he mentioned he has the S&W. I asked him about the Taurus and he said he went with the S&W becuase it was so much better. I know $100 isn't much more when you're already at $600 but wanted to see this Ruger. Scheels did say when it comes in if I handle it, dry fire, etc. and don't like it, I'm not out any $$$.
__________________
GLOCK certified armorer
G23, G30SF
Tmoney33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:45   #5
ViennaGambit
Senior Member
 
ViennaGambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney33 View Post
I was talking to my FFL a few weeks ago and he mentioned he has the S&W. I asked him about the Taurus and he said he went with the S&W becuase it was so much better. I know $100 isn't much more when you're already at $600 but wanted to see this Ruger. Scheels did say when it comes in if I handle it, dry fire, etc. and don't like it, I'm not out any $$$.
Hey, it really is all about what YOU like and how it feels to YOU. They are hard to find in stock for a reason - people are loving them The SP101 in general is a great platform - I had two 2"ers and a 3" and loved them a lot. Still regret selling the 3". If the .22lr specimen I held wasnt so rough and burred, who knows how I would feel. Hopefully the one coming to you is better finished....
__________________
Your Move.
ViennaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:57   #6
ArmoryDoc
Need a haircut
 
ArmoryDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,850
I debated back and forth too. I finally settled on the Smith 617. They are hard to find, but there's a reason for that. They are supposedly top of the line in .22 caliber.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 23:09   #7
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,551
collim1 has one, its a descent gun in my opinion, not K-22 master peice nice but better than their lcr-22.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42   #8
NW-Warlord
Senior Member
 
NW-Warlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Where the Bremelo roam
Posts: 944
I love my .22 SP-101. The trigger is a bit stiff at first, but it will wear in. Replace the stock grips with a set of Hogue, and it is good to go. I have 5+ thousand rounds through mine and it keeps getting better.

I still want to get a 617, a Diamondback, and a K-22 someday though.
NW-Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 694
180 Members
514 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42