Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:39   #1
Esox357

October Hog Hunt

I finally managed to get some pics of the hog I shot in October. I managed to bag my first boar at 100 yards with a 25.06 using 115 grain ballistic tips and Reloader 22. First shot dropped him, only for him to get up and make it to the tree line, second shot severed his spine and anchored him. While approaching him his head and neck jumped up and snapped his jaws, only in time for me to place a 40 caliber Gold Dot into him. They can be tough critters? I managed another shot at another pig over 100 yards using a 168 Barnes TSX only to track it for two hours and never find it. Found blood and bone, no pig though.

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/q...psaf0e322e.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps07a55856.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps7f3a3e6d.jpg
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39   #2
Paul7
New Guy

Nice, how much did it weigh?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55   #3
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Cool, I love bustin' hogs.
Old 01-09-2013, 20:06   #4
Esox357

Not sure but would guess a solid 180? Guide thought close to 200? It's hard to judge since he was so round and muscular. Can't wait to go get some more! Hopefully find a nice color like this or darker.
Old 01-09-2013, 20:25   #5
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

It's hard to tell from pics, but I'd say 175-200lbs is a pretty close estimate.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09   #6
noway

He looks great. I like story like this and more so when we have some one asking if a 9mm is okay for taking hogs. Hogs are hard to kill and easy prey down here that get's lost very easily if you don't anchor them with the 1st shot.

Good job.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 00:46   #7
Esox357

Thanks guys. They definitely can be a hardy animal. The second pig I shot was with the 30.06 and with the guide watching stating it wasn't hit in the leg. I hit him in the shouder area, I believe the 198 TSX didn't expand and may have penciled through by looking at the weak blood sign we found. I think I will be switching to the TTSX which seem to expand better for an all copper bullet? The more I use the 25.06 the more it amazes me with its "killing" power. Fast, flat, light recoiling, and deadly hard to go wrong with that combination.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51   #8
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Have you considered Nosler Partitions? I have had penetration issues with Barnes X bullets in .243 and .25-06. I have never had an issue with the NP. They aren't as pretty but they do the job every time. For hogs, I don't care if they run off or not, for deer/aoudad/elk, I don't trust copper bullets. The sectional density isn't there.

2 years ago I shot a 180lb 10 point whitetail at 200yds with my ..25-06 hand load of a Barnes X-bullet at 3550fps. It was a quartering away shot. The bullet entered the chest cavity behind the left shoulder, went through the top of the heart and both lungs, but didn't exit the chest cavity. Some might call this an ideal scenario, but I am from the school that 2 holes is better than one on big game. My varmint loads are designed to not exit and dump power but at the expense of penetration. Whitetails are not very tough and this performance disturbs me a little bit. For "big" game, I want a bullet that will do its job every time.

Hog hunting tip #1:
I have killed more hogs than I can count with everything from a .22lr to a .338 Lapua. Hog shooting is different from deer in that a heart/lung shot is not ideal. I have never had a hog run off that was shot directly on the point of the shoulder. With a heart/lung shot, they'll run a ways, they can't go anywhere if you take away the wheels. That said my main hog rifle is a .223 and I have had very good luck with it.

Just a few random thoughts that someone might benefit from.

Last edited by Travclem; 01-11-2013 at 07:08..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 00:40   #9
Esox357

I tried the TSX because they were accurate but not really impressed by this experience and it is only one so it is not definitive but I am plenty happy with cup and core bullets. I shot him and dropped him with a 115 bt so a 168 Tsx should have done the trick?

I can say that the faster a bullet is pushed the less penetration you will achieve. I haven't chrono my load but I imagine I'm getting 2900fps or near that with the 115's with I think is 51.0 grains of Reloader 22. It has killed everything dead. I usually end up shooting head or neck shots although this particular pig wouldn't stop moving his head so a lung/heart shot was taken. The heart and lungs do sit differently on a hog than a deer. So it is wise to know the vitals to make good clean kills.
Old 01-13-2013, 00:53   #10
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

ive gotten my share of wild bore and my biggest was 256 lbs.

ive seen some bigger that others got. none of them were the domestic looking hogs, they were the razor back style; black with a mane like a horse or what they call russian reds.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote