Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:06   #1
BCG71

Confused New G29sf owner

I've seen so many contradicting views on heavier recoil assemblies when using hotter loads that my head is all polluted.

I have not fired my new Gen3 G29sf yet, but plan on doing so once my 200 rnds of Underwood 180gr TMJ arrive tomorrow.

I plan on using stronger loads the majority of the time, particularly for the first 500 or until feel comfortable And confident in its reliability. Once I attain that level of confidence in this piece, it might see 50-100 rounds per month.

I would also like to add that every gun I own and have ever owned is 100% stock internally with the exception of the steel guiderod with stock weight spring in my Gen2 G19...my wife thinks the gun handles better that way, but I see no appreciable difference.

I would like to leave everything stock...internally at least...if possible. Kevin at Underwood (very nice man btw) recommended switching to a Wolf steel rod and 22# spring when I ordered my ammo.

I am looking for any and all input that I can find to help me obtain the confidence I KNOW this pistol can provide me with. I am always willing to listen to and consider/evaluate input from anyone willing to offer it.

"There are very fine lines between confidence, arrogance, and outright ignorance!" My Grandfather...possibly borrowed.
BCG71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30   #2
icelandicstud

I use the wolff 23lb (heaviest they go) with everything from 10mm down to 357sig conversion barrel. It cycles everything and greatly reduces the recoil. pay the money and get one.
icelandicstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42   #3
G29SFWTF

Kevin probably knows more about this than me but I have a G29 and have used the stock spring, a 21 pound and a 23 pound.

Stock - Felt like the slide was slamming back too hard with 135 grain 1600 fps Underwood and 165 grain.

23lb - I switched to this and didn't have the slamming issue but felt recoil went up particularly with 155gr and above. Nothing too bad though and can even rapid fire the 135gr underwood just fine with this setup.

21lb - Dropped down to try the 21lb and I have shot 165gr, 220gr hardcast, and 155gr TMJ plus a few 135gr (all underwood) with no slamming. Felt recoil is still up there with the 220gr but it's just a big bullet.

If you want to be sure you can just get the G29 calibration pack from Wolff which has a 17, 19 and 21lb including a non captive guide rod. Stock No. 30492

23lb worked ok but it was overkill in my opinion. Also you might not be able to release the slide lever easily or at all without two hands if that's important to you. A woman or someone with a hand injury might not be able to rack a 23lb.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 23:02   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Congratulations on the new G29! Nice pistol.

Try it stock. If that gives you concern, start investing in aftermarket parts. Glocks have a bazillion different ways to modify them. It can make your head spin. They work out of the box just fine.

Shoot it. Get to know it. If you find problems, look for aftermarket solutions. While recoil spring assemblies are relatively inexpensive, that money can go toward 1000 primers for your reloading bench.

FWIW, the Wolff 22# spring and steel guide rod was not reliable in my G20 with hot loads. Nose-up failures to feed occasionally. The stock spring is 100% with all ammo. Your mileage may vary with the G20's smaller sibling.

Shoot it stock. Then decide.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 13:36   #5
BCG71

Thank you to those who have replied to my thread and also to those who have pm'd me as well...the advice is GREATLY appreciated!

I recieved my ammo shipment from Underwood yesterday, so off I went to my local range this morning with 150 rounds of 180gr tmj and of course, my NEW favorite gun

As suggested by many...I ran the gun completely stock with the exception of some Pierce pinky extensions. I will probably change out the sights at a later time, but for now they are more than adequate and I feel that the money would be better spent on more ammo and range time.

As for actually shooting this pistol...I am blown away with how shootable it is for the power it packs! My first 10 rounds produced a 4-5" group from 10 yds and by the time I ran through the last of the 150 rounds I brought, my groups at 10 yds tightened up to a little under 3" and from 25 yds I put 9 out of 10 in a 5" circle...missing the first shot a little low and left. Not too bad for a guy who is going blind in his right(dominante) eye

Most improtantly is that I had ZERO malfunctions. Every round fed smoothly and proceded to go down range with a serious quickness!! Recoil was more noticable than my G19 running +P+ ammo, but not nearly as much as I expected. I still cannot believe how easy this gun is to shoot.
Old 01-10-2013, 13:37   #6
ThinkMud

Glad you got to go shoot it!

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 13:55   #7
arushus
Biggest Member

Wolff springs tend to have issues with glocks, ISMI springs work much better. Has something to do with them being flat instead of round like the wolff springs.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 16:34   #8
BCG71

If it continues to perform like it did today, I will definitely be keeping it stock internally. It was smooth and I did not experience the excessive slide/frame banging some have talked about.

I was expecting a lot more kick with the Underwood ammo, considering most people say they run on the hot side. I certainly got the attention of everyone else in the range once I blew through the first mag! Once available again, I'm going to try Underwoods 165gr jhp and see if there is any difference. I suspect the gun will handle it easily also.

My wife already told me that OUR G19 is now just HERS.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47   #9
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Shoot it stock.... IMHO, the new Gen3/4 recoil system really negates the need for any different springs. I love mine with the stock RSA, although I'd be lying if I told you I didn't put a Ghost Rocket trigger and Heinie Straight Eights on mine.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote