Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:44   #1
Dave Richardson

Visiting MI in July, Need Advice

Hello, I will be visiting Michigan the first two weeks of July; attending a family wedding in East Lansing over the 4th of July weekend, then up to Mackinac Island, Sault Ste. Marie, then back down and over around Traverse City.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Just beginning my research on where I can and cannot carry legally, can you please give me any advice as to where's off limits? Bars & restaurants? Stores? What's required notice for no firearms allowed?
Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Dave Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 17:17   #2
michpatriot

Online resource for michigan concealed questions

I would say that MCRGO would have everything you will need to know.
michpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 21:45   #3
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0947--,00.html
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 17:52   #4
Dave Richardson

Thank you to everyone who replied here and over on General Glockin' (where they've locked the thread up). Excellent information, you cut my time on Google down immensely.

Just to fill in the blanks, driving from Northern Virginia and I have Virginia and Florida permits. The only place I have to worry about is the People's Republic of Maryland and will lock firearms and ammunition in seperate containers for that short part of the trip.
Old 06-21-2011, 19:53   #5
RevDerb

Don't forget when you get to the Soo, you can't possess under any circumstances on the Canadian side.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:13   #6
rdbjr57

Dave, I'd be interested in hearing about your trip (both carry-related and Mackinac-related). We are going to Mackinac shortly after you will be there.
Old 06-22-2011, 20:21   #7
Dave Richardson

@Rev: Don't worry I won't be carrying anywhere near a border crossing.

I'll give a full report on my return...one of the participants in my college football pool told me that Mackinac smells like horse $#it and fudge. I can't wait.
Old 06-22-2011, 20:50   #8
furioso2112

Carry a print-out that cites the statute that indicates MI reciprocates with (are you in VA?).

Consult MCRGO, and the other link posted above, I suppose, is to the state site that lists no-carry zones.

banks, religious institutions, schools (parking lot exception if p/u or drop-off), courts, entertainment venues of 2000+ capacity, etc.

Any establishment not specifically listed by statute has the right to request that you not carry on its premises, but it must list this in reasonably noticeable font at the entrance; you are legally allowed to carry there still, but if you refuse to leave when they ask you to, then they call the police, you will be treated as a trespasser.

You must immediately (in a MI court case, 45 seconds, IIRC, was deemed NOT QUICK ENOUGH! - and no, I don't have a cite to the case) inform an officer who has detained you (traffic stop if you are the driver, personal stop on the street) in his capacity as a LEO that you are a CPL (in MI - CHL in VA) holder, and whether you are carrying currently.

Incidentally, a colleague of mine from VA had a pistol in his possession in his home in MI (he was living there while going to school, still resident of VA). Police searched his home (roommate's issues) and found VA resident's handgun, tried to check registration - which MI requires, VA does not. Ex-military, clean record, law school student, they cited him, last I heard he was convicted of having an unlicensed firearm and still fighting it. Mi requires registration of handguns within 30 days of living in the state, whether resident or not.

This is not a comprehensive list, I jotted a few notes just to give you some examples of things that might not occur to a person, but that you would probably want to be aware of before carrying (especially if you happen to get into a conversation with a LEO in MI) in MI. For the record, the four or five times I revealed my status (as required) to a LEO in MI, the LEO(s) seemed more relaxed and disinterested in whatever I was doing than when they initially approached me (most of the times, I had called them - twice when attacked by dogs in my neighborhood, once when I found a pile of personal documents, checks, social security card strewn about a neighbors lawn, another time when I found a gun on a law school campus - and another time when I picked up a hooker - long story, not what it sounds like, I went home within minutes of the stop - I have posted the story here before).

Anyway...sounds like you have a pretty busy itinerary in MI and will be travelling quite a bit. If you have any questions about things to do or see, places to eat, etc., I can offer suggestions in TC area. I grew up near EL, spent a lot of time in TC over the years.

Also, if you want the contact info of a practicing pro-individual gun rights lawyer up there, I can give you the contact info for one - he is active in MCRGO, maybe on the board or something - writes many of their "frequent issues" e-mail topics. Never hurts. PM me, I'll send it back to you. I'm not saying he'll represent you for free or anything, just that I know him personally and professionally, have shot with him, and he is the person I would call in MI, at least, if I had a legal-gun issue.
Old 06-27-2011, 22:11   #9
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richardson View Post
Just to fill in the blanks, driving from Northern Virginia and I have Virginia and Florida permits.
Unless you are from Florida you Florida permit will do you no good here. You must be a resident of the state that issued your permit for it to be valid in Michigan.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 20:10   #10
rdbjr57

Hey Dave,

Anything further on Mackinac Island re: any posted firearms policies?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-16-2011, 18:16   #11
Dave Richardson

All,

Just back, wonderful trip, great weather. Enjoyed seeing parts of my wife's native state I'd never been to.

Mackinac was a breeze, didn't see any signs and left the 19 locked up when alcohol was involved (which was frequently), was there for 2 days and hardly took it out of the safe. It's true what I was told about the Island; all you smell is fudge and horse manure.

The Soo was another matter because we spent a lot of time at the locks in the visiting platform; Federal Property and conspicously signed that handguns were prohibited. Didn't go near the bridge to Canada however I'll mention that the lines for getting through Customs on the return were tremendous.

Stayed, or visited, Cross Village, Harbor Springs, Petosky, Walloon Lake, Leelanau, Leeland, Traverse City. Great trip, hope to do it again soon.

The MCRGO and State Police websites noted were tremendous helps in becoming familiar with the local laws.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:26   #12
Warhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richardson View Post
All,

Just back, wonderful trip, great weather. Enjoyed seeing parts of my wife's native state I'd never been to.

Mackinac was a breeze, didn't see any signs and left the 19 locked up when alcohol was involved (which was frequently), was there for 2 days and hardly took it out of the safe. It's true what I was told about the Island; all you smell is fudge and horse manure.

The Soo was another matter because we spent a lot of time at the locks in the visiting platform; Federal Property and conspicously signed that handguns were prohibited. Didn't go near the bridge to Canada however I'll mention that the lines for getting through Customs on the return were tremendous.

Stayed, or visited, Cross Village, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Walloon Lake, Leelanau, Leeland, Traverse City. Great trip, hope to do it again soon.

The MCRGO and State Police websites noted were tremendous helps in becoming familiar with the local laws.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request.
Fixed it for you.

What can I say...it is my "neck of the woods".
Sig Sauer Club #814
Rimfire Club #814
J Frame Snubbie Club #814
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 19:05   #13
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post

You must immediately (in a MI court case, 45 seconds, IIRC, was deemed NOT QUICK ENOUGH! - and no, I don't have a cite to the case) inform an officer who has detained you (traffic stop if you are the driver, personal stop on the street) in his capacity as a LEO that you are a CPL (in MI - CHL in VA) holder, and whether you are carrying currently.
You only have to inform him if you ARE carrying at the time.
If you have a CPL, but are not carrying, you don't have to say anything about it.
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
douglasd is offline   Reply With Quote