Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 00:44   #1
never enough

please advise on ruger single action revolvers

Someone school me in single action revolvers in rimfire please. Already have a mark III but itching for a ruger in rimfire. Looked at a single nine in 22mag, new it was $449 but would rather have the convertable that can shoot 22lr. What are my other options out there? Looking to stay around $500
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43   #2
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Find a nice used Super Single Six with a spare 22Mag cylinder.

The extra rounds don't really matter with a single action. It won't speed you up much or get that many more rounds downrange for the same amount of time.

I have 8 round aftermarket cylinders for mine that work okay but don't change the whole shooting experience that much.

Get a bucket of mags for the MKIII and the Ultimate Cliploader for your shooting pleasure.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15   #3
ede
Bama's Friend

If you just want a .22LR the Single Ten is the way to go. Down side to SA revolvers in rimfire is they're slow to load if you're shooting much.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43   #4
Rleee

If you can find a used single six you'll get your money's worth. If you have to have a Mag cylinder and it doesn't come with one you can pick up a spare via fleabay. The last extra cylinder I bought I paid $40 for.
If you want a single action you can't go wrong with a Ruger. You'll never live long enough to wear one out.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12   #5
Bill Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rleee View Post
If you can find a used single six you'll get your money's worth. If you have to have a Mag cylinder and it doesn't come with one you can pick up a spare via fleabay. The last extra cylinder I bought I paid $40 for.
If you want a single action you can't go wrong with a Ruger. You'll never live long enough to wear one out.
+1. I found my gently used Single Six for $240. It is the blued version with 6 1/2" barrel, 22LR and 22 WMR. Accurate and good handling gun. The 22 mag cylinder and the 6 1/2" barrel length make for a pretty good varmint and camp gun. The gun is built on the XR3-red frame as are the Blackhawk centerfire revovers. Sooo, you can mix and match grips and the 22 makes a good understudy.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:13   #6
never enough

Thanks guys. Didn't know you could just "add" a cylinder and shoot 22 mag out of a 22lr gun. Is the opposite true,can you add a 22lr cylinder to a 22 mag only gun and still function?
Old 01-12-2013, 21:28   #7
ithaca_deerslayer

Here's a dumb question. Is the bullet diamater the same? I have .22lr and .22mag but haven't measured

Are there any accuracy downsides to those convertables?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 22:19   #8
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Here's a dumb question. Is the bullet diamater the same? I have .22lr and .22mag but haven't measured

Are there any accuracy downsides to those convertables?
Deerslayer
The convertibles have a .224 barrel,the older three screws,non convertible .221 barrels.
I'm not sure of the Single Six Ten in 22 lr.
I searched around about ten years ago and found a 1957 SS three screw,prior to the convertible,I found my single action 22 lr. only. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:14   #9
never enough

Bump and a update
Found and bought an old 3 screw 22 single six today! LGS wanted $300 so I asked if he would take $250 and he said yes. Gun is in "ok' shape as its bluing is starting to go in some spots and slight rust on the hammer. Called Ruger and was told gun was made in 1966. Only came with the 22 WMR cylinder and ppl have said to just have Ruger make the 22lr cylinder(ruger said $65 for that).
As far as the finish goes- would you go have it re-blued or left as is? Gun will be a shooter but dont want to hurt the re-sale value by having it restored and losing the patina. Am I too worried? Will that matter much or should I have ruger re finish it for the $130 they quoted me?
Old 02-06-2013, 22:50   #10
never enough

Also Ruger wants to do the safety recall on my gun. Any harm to this? I thought I remember Bac saying he wouldnt get it done if he had one. Just wondering if it makes the gun less desirable.
Old 02-06-2013, 22:55   #11
Steve in PA

You can't just "get" a cylinder, whether it's .22lr or .22mg. Ruger would have to make sure the timing is correct.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 23:59   #12
never enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
You can't just "get" a cylinder, whether it's .22lr or .22mg. Ruger would have to make sure the timing is correct.
Yes,Ruger said they will make a 22 lr cylinder when they have my gun. Only problem and I dont even know its a problem is they will do the recall once I ship them the gun.They said once they have my gun it will be $65 for the new cylinder
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41   #13
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by never enough View Post
Yes,Ruger said they will make a 22 lr cylinder when they have my gun. Only problem and I dont even know its a problem is they will do the recall once I ship them the gun.They said once they have my gun it will be $65 for the new cylinder
At one time they sent the pre-upgrade parts back with the upgraded gun. Don't know whether they still do.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-07-2013, 13:54   #14
never enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
At one time they sent the pre-upgrade parts back with the upgraded gun. Don't know whether they still do.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The person I spoke with said all my old parts WOULD be returned as well
Old 02-07-2013, 21:43   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
Very true

It's not like just buying another nag for an auto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07   #16
Bill Keith

I'd advise getting the gun sent to Ruger for the fitting of the 22 LR cylinder, rebluing and the transfer bar upgrade. You'll have a new looking gun that you'll most likely never sell and it will be a quality single action gun - with the 22 mag and 22LR cylinders, it'll be like having 2 guns. 22 mag ammo is going now for what we used to pay for 38 special - about $10+ per box. 22LR about $2.50 for 50. I bet you'll shoot way more 22LR than 22 mag.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58   #17
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keith View Post
I'd advise getting the gun sent to Ruger for the fitting of the 22 LR cylinder, rebluing and the transfer bar upgrade. You'll have a new looking gun that you'll most likely never sell and it will be a quality single action gun - with the 22 mag and 22LR cylinders, it'll be like having 2 guns. 22 mag ammo is going now for what we used to pay for 38 special - about $10+ per box. 22LR about $2.50 for 50. I bet you'll shoot way more 22LR than 22 mag.
This is what I'd do, IF, and only IF they promise to send the old parts back. Then I'd swap the old parts back and keep the new ones as spares.

Personally, I've never seen any reason to own a 22 magnum anything. I've owned several convertable revolvers, but have never used the 22 mag cylinder. I just can't think of anything it will do that either the 22 LR won't do, or some centerfire won't do better. As soon as you start swaping cylinders, you either have to remember how much to hold over or under, or you have to resight the gun. Then you're wrong for the other round.

Bahhhhhhh I'm too lazy to do that. I'd just as soon buy two guns.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17   #18
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

It's a good idea to get the transfer bar safety put in. You don't want to regret not doing it if you ever drop the gun. Ruger will take care of you, and your Single Six will be good as new when you get it back. Still cool having a 3 screw pre-warning gun and it will have the safety updates. Win-win.
Old 02-08-2013, 16:36   #19
never enough

When I spoke to Ruger on it they said they replace every spring in there as well. Seems like a win win. I think I will have them re finish it as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 16:52   #20
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
It's a good idea to get the transfer bar safety put in. You don't want to regret not doing it if you ever drop the gun. Ruger will take care of you, and your Single Six will be good as new when you get it back. Still cool having a 3 screw pre-warning gun and it will have the safety updates. Win-win.
If you carry hammer down on an empty chamber, as is the accepted practice with a single action revolver, you have no issues.

Load one, skip one, load four, pull hammer back t full cock, then lower on empty chamber.

The beauty of the old models is the feel of the single action trigger, without the transfer bar. If you are uncomfortable with it not having the transfer bar, sell it to someone who appreciates the way the gun was originally designed and purchase a newer one with the transfer bar.

I wouldn't send it to Ruger for anything, otherwise it will come back with the transfer bar added.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote