Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2013, 20:21   #1
Kentak

Age for sex

Man's law aside, according to God's law, what is the youngest permissible age for a man to have sex with a "woman" if she is married to him? Does the woman have to consent to the marriage? If married, does the woman have to have sex with the man?
Old 01-22-2013, 20:27   #2
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

The world was a lot different when man made up God's laws. Man's laws are currently what they are. There is no point to this question except as an out of context gotcha.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 20:39   #3
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentak View Post
Man's law aside, according to God's law, what is the youngest permissible age for a man to have sex with a "woman" if she is married to him? Does the woman have to consent to the marriage? If married, does the woman have to have sex with the man?
Once a little girl began having her period she was considered ready to have children. If a little girl denied her husband she could be stoned to death. And little girls were sold by their fathers as property to their husband. They had little to not input in who took them.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 20:44   #4
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Wouldn't that depend on which god you had in mind?

Can you be specific enough so that people knowledgeable of that god could provide an appropriate answer?

Also, why would/should current law be set aside?

Is there an end you are seeking, or is this an honest question?
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 20:45   #5
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Once a little girl began having her period she was considered ready to have children. If a little girl denied her husband she could be stoned to death. And little girls were sold by their fathers as property to their husband. They had little to not input in who took them.
It's interesting that you phrased all of that in the past tense.

Guess again.
Old 01-22-2013, 20:51   #6
Glock36shooter

All attempts (right out of the damn gate I might add) to turn this into some other manufactured topic aside... I think everyone understands which god and law we are talking about and when.
Old 01-22-2013, 20:53   #7
Kentak

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
The world was a lot different when man made up God's laws. Man's laws are currently what they are. There is no point to this question except as an out of context gotcha.
Whom do you think I am trying to "get?" It's a serious question about a serious subject from a non-believer to any believer that cares to answer. I keep hearing many believers say that religion is the basis for much of our laws. I've always been fascinated by the preoccupation of religion with sexual matters. Please excuse my curiosity on this subject.

I earnestly solicit responses from those with considerable theological background.
Old 01-22-2013, 20:56   #8
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
All attempts (right out of the damn gate I might add) to turn this into some other manufactured topic aside... I think everyone understands which god and law we are talking about and when.
Attempt? You phrased all of that in the past tense, as if it is not occurring today. Were you just unaware that similar things have been in the headlines recently, or are you now just avoiding the realization of current events with a purpose?
Old 01-22-2013, 20:58   #9
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post

Quote:
Whom do you think I am trying to "get?" It's a serious question about a serious subject from a non-believer to any believer that cares to answer. I keep hearing many believers say that religion is the basis for much of our laws. I've always been fascinated by the preoccupation of religion with sexual matters. Please excuse my curiosity on this subject.

I earnestly solicit responses from those with considerable theological background.
Gotta go with Juggy on this one. Sorry Kentak.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:00   #10
Kentak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Wouldn't that depend on which god you had in mind?

Can you be specific enough so that people knowledgeable of that god could provide an appropriate answer?

Also, why would/should current law be set aside?

Is there an end you are seeking, or is this an honest question?
Point taken. Specifically, any of the Judeo-Christian sects are what I'm interested in, since those are the dominant influences on our culture.

I'm not suggesting that current law be "set aside." The religious often make the distinction between man's law and God's law, e.g., the issue of abortion. In the U.S., man's law says abortion is legal and relatively restriction free in the first trimester. Many religious folks believe that is against God's law, even to the point of trying to legislate full protection of the law to unimplanted fertilized eggs. So, my preface phrase was to focus on the "pure" religious aspect of the issue.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:04   #11
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Point taken. Specifically, any of the Judeo-Christian sects are what I'm interested in, since those are the dominant influences on our culture.

I'm not suggesting that current law be "set aside." The religious often make the distinction between man's law and God's law, e.g., the issue of abortion. In the U.S., man's law says abortion is legal and relatively restriction free in the first trimester. Many religious folks believe that is against God's law, even to the point of trying to legislate full protection of the law to unimplanted fertilized eggs. So, my preface phrase was to focus on the "pure" religious aspect of the issue.
Excellent points. Seems gods law goes out the window when we're talking about sex with children.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:04   #12
Kentak

Quote:
Gotta go with Juggy on this one. Sorry Kentak.
That's okay, Doc. I thought it would be a welcome departure from the threads about the proper sabbath or evolution/creationism issue.

I mean, who doesn't like to talk about sex.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:05   #13
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:

There are some that are OK with late term abortions in the third trimester, where the fetus is born completely alive, then killed. So, there are some extremists on both sides of the issue. But to get back to the question......

There are some current events pertinent to this particular question.

LINK

What do you think, is that OK?
Old 01-22-2013, 21:07   #14
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
That's okay, Doc. I thought it would be a welcome departure from the threads about the proper sabbath or evolution/creationism issue.

I mean, who doesn't like to talk about sex.
You know about the old saying about the guys that talk about it the most?

But it could be interesting to see what people think is OK or not.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-22-2013 at 21:07..
Old 01-22-2013, 21:19   #15
Kentak

Quote:
There are some that are OK with late term abortions in the third trimester, where the fetus is born completely alive, then killed. So, there are some extremists on both sides of the issue. But to get back to the question......

There are some current events pertinent to this particular question.

LINK

What do you think, is that OK?
Are you asking about the late term abortions, or the linked story? In general, I'm pro-choice, which is NOT the same as saying I think abortion is great. My preference would be for people to be responsible for conception and reserve it for when they are truly ready to become loving and functional parents, including proper self-sufficient support. If someone finds herself to be in an unwanted state of pregnancy, they should make a keep/abort decision as early as possible. No, I am not comfortable with late term abortions from a philosophical/biological perspective. As for the issue pertaining to your link, I think that's an abomination.

But, please, let's not drift this thread to abortion. I only mentioned it as an example of a man's law/God's law dichotomy.

Last edited by Kentak; 01-22-2013 at 21:22..
Kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 21:21   #16
Kentak

Quote:
You know about the old saying about the guys that talk about it the most?

But it could be interesting to see what people think is OK or not.
Come on, Doc, are you telling me you've ever been with a bunch of guys for any period of time more than ten minutes when sex has *not* been brought up?
Old 01-22-2013, 21:24   #17
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Are you asking about the late term abortions, or the linked story? In general, I'm pro-choice, which is NOT the same as saying I think abortion is great. My preference would be for people to be responsible for conception and reserve it for when they are truly ready to become loving and functional parents, including proper self-sufficient support. If someone finds herself to be in an unwanted state of pregnancy, they should make a keep/abort decision as early as possible. No, I am not comfortable with late term abortions from a philosophical/biological perspective. As for the issue pertaining to your link, I think that's an abomination.
Mentioned the abortions in response to your mention of it, they are in the news today too, considering the anniversary and all. I'm mostly pro-choice too, but think minors should have parental consent, and all patients should have real informed consent.

I think a 90 year old man marrying a 15 year old is very bad too. But it happens. I think it would be best if marriages were something that people chose to enter into freely, and only among legal adults.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:28   #18
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Come on, Doc, are you telling me you've ever been with a bunch of guys for any period of time more than ten minutes when sex has *not* been brought up?
Yes, I have been in situations lasting much more than 10 minutes where sex was not brought up at all. Sometimes survival took precedence, even if not our own.

In a hospital, some subjects simply aren't talked about much. Lawsuits tend to put a chill on certain subjects. Only that I know of, two section chiefs have lost their positions in the last 3 months due to discussing sexual things at work. One has retired, the other is fighting a losing battle against being forced out, and he is not eligible to retire. I've seen the emails he sent, he's toast.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-22-2013 at 21:28..
Old 01-22-2013, 21:40   #19
Kentak

Jeez, Doc. Did I need to point out I was referring to informal, social settings? But, that's really not the issue, and I think you know it. If you want to excuse yourself from this discussion, that's entirely up to you.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:45   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Well, the muslims say they have the same god as christians/jews and Mohammad married Aisha when she was 9. But it was a long engagement (since she was 6) and I have seen that he held off having sex with her until she was 10 or 11. Apparently he would often just sit and watch her and her friends play with dolls.

Also, the old testament includes some accounts of god telling his people they could rape all the virgins in town, but I don't think he mentioned any specific ages.

Last edited by Bren; 01-22-2013 at 21:54..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote