Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14   #1
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...nts/?hpt=hp_c2

Believers in this forum frequently ask non-believers why they post in a religious forum. They ask why atheists are angry, and on and on. This articles begins to explain what it's like to be as open with your non-belief as believers are with their belief.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00   #2
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Then there are the comments from strangers. Last year, Phillips said she and her daughter were at a birthday party when a tornado warning sounded.

We were all in the basement keeping safe. A little girl was saying baby Jesus will keep us safe. My daughter asked who Jesus was. The rest of the time was spent hearing I'll pray for you sweetie, we can take you to church with us if you want
I wonder if they said that to the mother or the child. If someone said that to my child after hearing we're not believers... as if to say "I'll save you from your terrible parent." There'd be some strong words exchanged. Most having to do with demanding insane people stay away from my child.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53   #3
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I wonder if they said that to the mother or the child. If someone said that to my child after hearing we're not believers... as if to say "I'll save you from your terrible parent." There'd be some strong words exchanged. Most having to do with demanding insane people stay away from my child.
The obvious question is why did Jesus send the tornado in the first place? Of course, asking that that would be rude and intolerant. You child would be shunned.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 01-21-2013 at 12:54..
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:03   #4
Sarge1400
Senior Member
 
Sarge1400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
The obvious question is why did Jesus send the tornado in the first place?
A. To clean up the joint.
B. Jesus didn't send it, Satan did.
C. Doesn't matter why, but wouldn't you rather take the chance that blah blah blah (Pascal's wager).
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:23   #5
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
A. To clean up the joint.
B. Jesus didn't send it, Satan did.
C. Doesn't matter why, but wouldn't you rather take the chance that blah blah blah (Pascal's wager).
You forgot one...

D. If you don't believe why are you even talking about it blah blah blah (Trying to silence the opposition).
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:25   #6
wingryder
Senior Member
 
wingryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 28.420, -81.171
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
A. To clean up the joint.
B. Jesus didn't send it, Satan did.
C. Doesn't matter why, but wouldn't you rather take the chance that blah blah blah (Pascal's wager).
Then is Jesus powerless to stop it, or does he just not want to?
__________________
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:05   #7
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,150
Christians trying to lead others to Christ is like leading a horse to water.
You can't make them drink.

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 01-21-2013 at 15:06..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:07   #8
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post

Then is Jesus powerless to stop it, or does he just not want to?
Seriously?...
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:10   #9
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Christians trying to lead others to Christ is like leading a horse to water.
You can't make them drink.

..
Unlike horses, humans are sentient, intelligent beings that should not be led when they've indicated they do not want to be.
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 01-21-2013 at 15:10..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:44   #10
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Christians trying to lead others to Christ is like leading a horse to water.
You can't make them drink.

..
Do you not understand this is what is killing your religion? Understand I'm happy to watch it die... but I think it would be better for everyone if you guys just kept it to yourself in an effort to preserve it. Make no mistake, if you guys keep trying to push it on folks... the more enemies you're gonna get. And on top of that... the more people that are going to resist it, only expediting its demise.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 16:42   #11
Just_plinking
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Do you not understand this is what is killing your religion? Understand I'm happy to watch it die... but I think it would be better for everyone if you guys just kept it to yourself in an effort to preserve it. Make no mistake, if you guys keep trying to push it on folks... the more enemies you're gonna get. And on top of that... the more people that are going to resist it, only expediting its demise.
Haha, you are more right then you know. I'm a Christian but can hardly stand going to church and being around other ones.

I had to meet with the assistant pastor of a church the other day because me and my g/f are looking for a wedding venue.

We show up (at the time he specified) and he's doing a bible study. He comes out in the hall to talk to us and I say "continue, we'll wait, carry on..." And he proceeds to tell me how the meeting is for addicts and he is trying to save one who's on the edge, and on and on while possibly IN EARSHOT of his bible study. I wanted to scream SHUT UP ALREADY, IT'S NOT MY BUSINESS!!!

Christians do a lot better by talking less, and showing more, but alas, I'm not the right one to indict people for being poor Christians.
__________________
Runnin' on coal
Just_plinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 16:59   #12
gilfo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
Where was Jesus at Sandy Hook? Just saying.
gilfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:06   #13
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_plinking View Post
Haha, you are more right then you know. I'm a Christian but can hardly stand going to church and being around other ones.

I had to meet with the assistant pastor of a church the other day because me and my g/f are looking for a wedding venue.

We show up (at the time he specified) and he's doing a bible study. He comes out in the hall to talk to us and I say "continue, we'll wait, carry on..." And he proceeds to tell me how the meeting is for addicts and he is trying to save one who's on the edge, and on and on while possibly IN EARSHOT of his bible study. I wanted to scream SHUT UP ALREADY, IT'S NOT MY BUSINESS!!!

Christians do a lot better by talking less, and showing more, but alas, I'm not the right one to indict people for being poor Christians.
I think I have written before in here, about this one Christian individual I know who I think has it down perfectly. You would never know he was a person of faith unless you asked him. He never preaches or tries to convert anyone. I've never heard the man tell someone else how they should be living. Every dime he gets that he doesn't need to survive he usually gives it away to people he feels need it more. Once there was a family at his church whose kid needed like serious dental work or something. They couldn't afford it. He put himself in a very bad financial position to take the amount of money needed... it was like $6K, in an envelope down to the church with instructions to give it to that family and to not say a word about who it came from. He didn't want the recognition, or press. He wasn't looking for payback or gratitude. He did it because that's what his beliefs told him he should do.

If there happened to be a Christ and a God... this is the kind of man they'd be looking for. Not the vast majority of Christians I've met.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 01-21-2013 at 17:11..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:07   #14
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
Where was Jesus at Sandy Hook? Just saying.
We already had that thread. It's still an ugly thing to say.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 00:59   #15
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I think I have written before in here, about this one Christian individual I know who I think has it down perfectly. You would never know he was a person of faith unless you asked him. He never preaches or tries to convert anyone. I've never heard the man tell someone else how they should be living. Every dime he gets that he doesn't need to survive he usually gives it away to people he feels need it more. Once there was a family at his church whose kid needed like serious dental work or something. They couldn't afford it. He put himself in a very bad financial position to take the amount of money needed... it was like $6K, in an envelope down to the church with instructions to give it to that family and to not say a word about who it came from. He didn't want the recognition, or press. He wasn't looking for payback or gratitude. He did it because that's what his beliefs told him he should do.

If there happened to be a Christ and a God... this is the kind of man they'd be looking for. Not the vast majority of Christians I've met.
If they were all like that I wouldn't give a crap what they believe. I'd be happy to lead a boot party against anybody that said anything bad about them.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04   #16
RyanBDawg
Senior Member
 
RyanBDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ooltewah Tennessee
Posts: 4,213
Bless those loving Christians who wave their finger at every opportunity and use their religion to pump up their own ego because they are too lazy or just too plain stupid to have any concept of scientific thought.

Really wonderful people.

Religion is dying.. Sorry to tell some of you, but it is.
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry

Last edited by RyanBDawg; 01-22-2013 at 01:11..
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00   #17
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post

Religion is dying.. Sorry to tell some of you, but it is.
In your world, maybe?
But in my world, religion is very much alive and doing just fine.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56   #18
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
In your world, maybe?
But in my world, religion is very much alive and doing just fine.
Perhaps... going down with ship won't stop the ship from going down. You can believe twice as hard if you like. The way you Christians approach your faith is killing its hold on this nation. So to that I simply say... Keep up the good work. Keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing. You're your own worst enemy. Far worse than I. But I'm happy to help any way I can.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 13:51   #19
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
In your world, maybe?
But in my world, religion is very much alive and doing just fine.
Wait, I thought you guys were being persecuted out of existence.

So which is it?
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 13:54   #20
RyanBDawg
Senior Member
 
RyanBDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ooltewah Tennessee
Posts: 4,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
In your world, maybe?
But in my world, religion is very much alive and doing just fine.
In my world? You mean Earth?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 859
246 Members
613 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31