SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:14   #1
muscogee

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...nts/?hpt=hp_c2

Believers in this forum frequently ask non-believers why they post in a religious forum. They ask why atheists are angry, and on and on. This articles begins to explain what it's like to be as open with your non-belief as believers are with their belief.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00   #2
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Then there are the comments from strangers. Last year, Phillips said she and her daughter were at a birthday party when a tornado warning sounded.

We were all in the basement keeping safe. A little girl was saying baby Jesus will keep us safe. My daughter asked who Jesus was. The rest of the time was spent hearing I'll pray for you sweetie, we can take you to church with us if you want
I wonder if they said that to the mother or the child. If someone said that to my child after hearing we're not believers... as if to say "I'll save you from your terrible parent." There'd be some strong words exchanged. Most having to do with demanding insane people stay away from my child.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53   #3
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I wonder if they said that to the mother or the child. If someone said that to my child after hearing we're not believers... as if to say "I'll save you from your terrible parent." There'd be some strong words exchanged. Most having to do with demanding insane people stay away from my child.
The obvious question is why did Jesus send the tornado in the first place? Of course, asking that that would be rude and intolerant. You child would be shunned.

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 01-21-2013 at 12:54..
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:03   #4
Sarge1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
The obvious question is why did Jesus send the tornado in the first place?
A. To clean up the joint.
B. Jesus didn't send it, Satan did.
C. Doesn't matter why, but wouldn't you rather take the chance that blah blah blah (Pascal's wager).
Sarge1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 13:23   #5
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
C. Doesn't matter why, but wouldn't you rather take the chance that blah blah blah (Pascal's wager).
You forgot one...

D. If you don't believe why are you even talking about it blah blah blah (Trying to silence the opposition).
Old 01-21-2013, 13:25   #6
wingryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1400 View Post
Then is Jesus powerless to stop it, or does he just not want to?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:05   #7
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Christians trying to lead others to Christ is like leading a horse to water.
You can't make them drink.

Last edited by JBnTX; 01-21-2013 at 15:06..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:07   #8
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post

Then is Jesus powerless to stop it, or does he just not want to?
Seriously?...
Old 01-21-2013, 15:10   #9
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

Unlike horses, humans are sentient, intelligent beings that should not be led when they've indicated they do not want to be.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 01-21-2013 at 15:10..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:44   #10
Glock36shooter

Quote:

Do you not understand this is what is killing your religion? Understand I'm happy to watch it die... but I think it would be better for everyone if you guys just kept it to yourself in an effort to preserve it. Make no mistake, if you guys keep trying to push it on folks... the more enemies you're gonna get. And on top of that... the more people that are going to resist it, only expediting its demise.
Old 01-21-2013, 16:42   #11
Just_plinking

Quote:
Do you not understand this is what is killing your religion? Understand I'm happy to watch it die... but I think it would be better for everyone if you guys just kept it to yourself in an effort to preserve it. Make no mistake, if you guys keep trying to push it on folks... the more enemies you're gonna get. And on top of that... the more people that are going to resist it, only expediting its demise.
Haha, you are more right then you know. I'm a Christian but can hardly stand going to church and being around other ones.

I had to meet with the assistant pastor of a church the other day because me and my g/f are looking for a wedding venue.

We show up (at the time he specified) and he's doing a bible study. He comes out in the hall to talk to us and I say "continue, we'll wait, carry on..." And he proceeds to tell me how the meeting is for addicts and he is trying to save one who's on the edge, and on and on while possibly IN EARSHOT of his bible study. I wanted to scream SHUT UP ALREADY, IT'S NOT MY BUSINESS!!!

Christians do a lot better by talking less, and showing more, but alas, I'm not the right one to indict people for being poor Christians.
Old 01-21-2013, 16:59   #12
gilfo

Where was Jesus at Sandy Hook? Just saying.
gilfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 17:06   #13
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_plinking View Post
Haha, you are more right then you know. I'm a Christian but can hardly stand going to church and being around other ones.

I had to meet with the assistant pastor of a church the other day because me and my g/f are looking for a wedding venue.

We show up (at the time he specified) and he's doing a bible study. He comes out in the hall to talk to us and I say "continue, we'll wait, carry on..." And he proceeds to tell me how the meeting is for addicts and he is trying to save one who's on the edge, and on and on while possibly IN EARSHOT of his bible study. I wanted to scream SHUT UP ALREADY, IT'S NOT MY BUSINESS!!!

Christians do a lot better by talking less, and showing more, but alas, I'm not the right one to indict people for being poor Christians.
I think I have written before in here, about this one Christian individual I know who I think has it down perfectly. You would never know he was a person of faith unless you asked him. He never preaches or tries to convert anyone. I've never heard the man tell someone else how they should be living. Every dime he gets that he doesn't need to survive he usually gives it away to people he feels need it more. Once there was a family at his church whose kid needed like serious dental work or something. They couldn't afford it. He put himself in a very bad financial position to take the amount of money needed... it was like $6K, in an envelope down to the church with instructions to give it to that family and to not say a word about who it came from. He didn't want the recognition, or press. He wasn't looking for payback or gratitude. He did it because that's what his beliefs told him he should do.

If there happened to be a Christ and a God... this is the kind of man they'd be looking for. Not the vast majority of Christians I've met.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 01-21-2013 at 17:11..
Old 01-21-2013, 17:07   #14
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
Where was Jesus at Sandy Hook? Just saying.
We already had that thread. It's still an ugly thing to say.
Old 01-22-2013, 00:59   #15
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
I think I have written before in here, about this one Christian individual I know who I think has it down perfectly. You would never know he was a person of faith unless you asked him. He never preaches or tries to convert anyone. I've never heard the man tell someone else how they should be living. Every dime he gets that he doesn't need to survive he usually gives it away to people he feels need it more. Once there was a family at his church whose kid needed like serious dental work or something. They couldn't afford it. He put himself in a very bad financial position to take the amount of money needed... it was like $6K, in an envelope down to the church with instructions to give it to that family and to not say a word about who it came from. He didn't want the recognition, or press. He wasn't looking for payback or gratitude. He did it because that's what his beliefs told him he should do.

If there happened to be a Christ and a God... this is the kind of man they'd be looking for. Not the vast majority of Christians I've met.
If they were all like that I wouldn't give a crap what they believe. I'd be happy to lead a boot party against anybody that said anything bad about them.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04   #16
RyanBDawg

Bless those loving Christians who wave their finger at every opportunity and use their religion to pump up their own ego because they are too lazy or just too plain stupid to have any concept of scientific thought.

Really wonderful people.

Religion is dying.. Sorry to tell some of you, but it is.

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry

Last edited by RyanBDawg; 01-22-2013 at 01:11..
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00   #17
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post

Religion is dying.. Sorry to tell some of you, but it is.
In your world, maybe?
But in my world, religion is very much alive and doing just fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56   #18
Glock36shooter

Quote:
In your world, maybe?
Perhaps... going down with ship won't stop the ship from going down. You can believe twice as hard if you like. The way you Christians approach your faith is killing its hold on this nation. So to that I simply say... Keep up the good work. Keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing. You're your own worst enemy. Far worse than I. But I'm happy to help any way I can.
Old 01-22-2013, 13:51   #19
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
In your world, maybe?
Wait, I thought you guys were being persecuted out of existence.

So which is it?
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 13:54   #20
RyanBDawg

Quote:
In your world, maybe?
In my world? You mean Earth?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote