GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 20:29   #321
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Did this boost your testosterone?
Odd that you would instill a sex hormone into an otherwise non sex topic.

Do you need shots? Is that some sort of point you were trying to make based off of your own illness?

It's just a bizarre thing to pop off with. Off topic, so it's natural to assume you are projecting some problem you are dealing with onto others......

Please clarify as needed. Or post a "thumbsup" smiley if I was on the money.
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 20:41   #322
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Did this boost your testosterone?
As was already pointed out, that's a pretty random thing to ask.

I think you should probably know that my last comment was intended only in the friendliest of ways.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM
BicycleDay43 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 21:09   #323
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Is there a smiley with the middle finger raised Muscogee? I feel that's more appropriate.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 01-21-2013 at 21:09..
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 21:32   #324
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Is there a smiley with the middle finger raised Muscogee? I feel that's more appropriate.
Don't be mad just because the lottery has yet to provide you with a lifetime supply of pabst.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM
BicycleDay43 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 21:47   #325
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Is there a smiley with the middle finger raised Muscogee? I feel that's more appropriate.
And just how would you feel that was appropriate on a family friendly site like this?

Was any effort at all made to teach you good manners? There are several details about your early life that seem important to know now. Just to understand how you got here.

Birth to 19 years old, are there any details you'd like to share that would illustrate how you are the way you are?
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 22:15   #326
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleDay43 View Post
Don't be mad just because the lottery has yet to provide you with a lifetime supply of pabst.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM
I don't drink... But if I did... I'd prefer Dos Equis.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 22:18   #327
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I don't drink... But if I did... I'd prefer Dos Equis.
Another glimmer into your psyche....
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 22:21   #328
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I don't drink... But if I did... I'd prefer Dos Equis.
Buying a bottle of Dos Equis is a better investment than the lottery.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM
BicycleDay43 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 22:22   #329
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
I don't smoke or do drugs either if that helps.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 22:37   #330
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
That's unfortunate..I was going to offer to come smoke you out.....take your mind off your chances of winning the lottery.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM
BicycleDay43 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 22:38   #331
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg0245 View Post
So you know, to me it doesn't look like post 292 is saying anything like "evolution is happening, therefore deities don't exist;" perhaps you're misunderstanding something.
Yeah, I don't see it either and it was my post. I think some further clarification is in order.
Gunhaver is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 00:22   #332
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Nope, but I do see a lot of people who seem to be arguing that evolution is happening, so therefore, your god does not exist, and therefore no gods exist.
Who is making that argument? Could you provide some specific examples?
Quote:
That's, of course, a very simple paraphrasing of what the argument seems to be.
Or possibly a misrepresentation.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 00:30   #333
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Post 292 tap dances around the edges of it. Wasn't there a thread about religiously believing in science and how evolution cannot be true recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Public acceptance of science is absolutely based on beliefs. Discoveries are made but you can only get people to act on those discoveries if they "believe" those discoveries are true. I could argue with someone all day that 5+5=10 but if they refuse to believe that because some bible verse or political pundit that they would prefer to believe says otherwise then I can't help them. Their "belief" that it does not =10 will continue to negatively affect them and anyone they can convince otherwise. It will also negatively affect plenty who do believe that if the non-believers are great enough in number and have enough clout.

So you say that you're not sure about common ancestry with apes which means that you don't fully accept the conclusions of the many whom are far more knowledgeable on the subject than you. Being convinced enough that you don't try to dissuade others from believing it is all I'm concerned about. Anything beyond that is just a matter of how much you really want to understand it.

As for the Big Band, here's video evidence,

Swing - Best of The Big Bands (1/3) - YouTube
I don't see how this post makes the argument that since evolution happens, supernatural deities can't exist. Perhaps you could either explain how it tap dances around that claim or provide a more on point example.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03   #334
certifiedfunds
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 43,906


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I don't know if this is true, but I remember a story about Billy Graham and a Scientist arguing whether God created the universe, or whether the big bang created the universe. In the end, Billy Graham throws his hands in the air, and screams: OK, I give up, you win!!!! In the beginning, with a big bang, God created the heavens and the Earth.

So really, who knows. For the most part, believing what happened in the beginning, or even if there was a "beginning" is not something that factors into many decisions I'm making on an average day.
Folks who struggle with this are usually one of two groups:

1. Those who are anti-God for any myriad of reasons. Usually hubris. (Different from those who simply don't believe)

2. Christian fundamentalists who believe in a literal interpretation of biblical texts yet deny that choosing a literal interpretation is indeed CHOOSING an interpretation. These I generally regard as fools.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
“If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is WITH representation.”

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55   #335
hooligan74
Senior Member
 
hooligan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Life by pure chance or accident is a matter of faith...

No, it really isn't. It's recognizing statistical probability. You did see the post that pointed out how many planets there are in the known universe, right?
hooligan74 is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06   #336
hooligan74
Senior Member
 
hooligan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Are you really sure about that? I mean really sure, to the point of arduous belief?

Sorry, missed this one earlier. There are lots of definitions out there:

http://atheists.org/atheism

"Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity..."

I'll give more weight to the definition coming from people who actually ARE the subject of the definition, thanks.

So, your stance is that anyone who doesn't claim to KNOW that God/gods exist(s) one way or the other are all agnostics. Is that it, or am I misunderstanding something? That atheism automatically conveys active disbelief?
hooligan74 is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09   #337
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
No, it really isn't. It's recognizing statistical probability. You did see the post that pointed out how many planets there are in the known universe, right?
It's an ego thing. People don't like the idea that their entire existence and that of everyone they've ever known was just random. People like to feel like they're special... like they have a purpose. So when they find out it was just random chance and this planet just happened to have all the right conditions and materials to form and support life they choose to not feel amazingly fortunate about that... but less important.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19   #338
Montblanc
Member
 
Montblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 98
The real sin is to give credit to a "god" for creating the earth. We are lucky to simply be here and some of us know it. Nowhere else will you find anything like earth.

The world is indeed a scary place and for many god is an outlet to escape reality. Its human nature to want more and to sit in your chair and think that this is as good as it gets isnt good enough for our minds so we wish for more and the bible delivers that.

I try not to take everyday for granted because I know that this earth is as good as it gets, every sunrise every day with my family is a special thing, enjoy life and reality and leave the magic in the book, do yourself a favor and discover what is!
Montblanc is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35   #339
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
No, it really isn't. It's recognizing statistical probability. You did see the post that pointed out how many planets there are in the known universe, right?
I know, really big numbers. Really big guesses too, with a lot of variances and a large margin of error too.

The possibilities are remote enough for either side to be completely sure, if they evaluate it all together. It's not a collection of just elements, but a collection of structures and data containing materials that interact remotely within a single cell, one small defect, one hole in the wrong place, one channel that pushes electrolytes in the wrong direction, and none of it works at all. And, once you got all that stuff together, making it in such a way that it could replicate itself, that's pretty remote too.

However it started, it is rather amazing. It would be cool to know for sure, but it's not necessary to have a good day today.
Cavalry Doc is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38   #340
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
It's an ego thing. People don't like the idea that their entire existence and that of everyone they've ever known was just random. People like to feel like they're special... like they have a purpose. So when they find out it was just random chance and this planet just happened to have all the right conditions and materials to form and support life they choose to not feel amazingly fortunate about that... but less important.
That's one side of the coin. The other is that some people think they need to know. They guess in the other direction and then try to support their own beliefs to the exclusion of others.

That's ego too.

Why can't we just enjoy what is, and not worry about ensuring that everyone agrees with us?
Cavalry Doc is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 733
198 Members
535 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31