SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 21:37   #21
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
#1 Buck if you can find it, 00 if you can't.

What makes the #1 better than 00 is it has more "frontal area" than the 00 load. (Even though the pellets are smaller.) Frontal area of the shot pellet is what causes the damage as it passes through the target. Also 00 sometimes has too much penetration while #4 Buck doesn't have quite enough. #1 hits the sweet spot.
Here's a couple tests I've done with buckshot:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 21:56   #22
countrygun

I tried these in 4 different shotguns, a Winchester 1200, good quality Chinese coach gun, EAA bounty hunter, and Mossberg 500.

Caliber Corner

each gun seemed to have its own favorite. I was trying to find the tightest pattern for each. In some cases the difference wasn't much, in others it was worth it to pick a "best" over a 'worst".

eta I tried the Winchester supreme "buck and ball" in my Mossberg w/GR sights and it was remarkably consistent at 20 yds. Tight buck triangle around the slug. The pellets were about 2" from the slug and I repeated it several times.

Last edited by countrygun; 01-13-2013 at 22:00..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 23:12   #23
GlockPistola

I'm going for some #1 Federal (If I can get any, maybe after the hysteria dies down), but if not, some 00 Federal, Winchester or Remington. What's the difference between plated and unplated?
Old 01-13-2013, 23:59   #24
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

OP, This is important. Describe Home Defense?

If Home includes shooting cars or people in cars the advise would be different than is home is an apartment with the longest shot being 10 feet (with neighbors just on the other side of the wall).

Here is a link to some good info.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Note that #4 can be buck or #4 shot. Shot is for birds and rabbits. Buck is fine for people not behind heavy cover.

If you are thinking people in cars or behind cover you are now talking about 00 or 000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiablo View Post
If you want slugs, there is only one choice, Brenneke Special Forces Short Magnum, Used by the most elite LE Unit in America with plenty of real street results.
Brenneke yes, your specific load, maybe not. Find out what groups best with your shotgun.

IMHO, do NOT go for reduced power loads. Look at the gel tests. Learn how to shoot full power loads if at all possible. I have seen a light weight girl do it. The only question is 2.75 or 3 inch. I have some of both. My load up would be different depending on the plan.

BTW, you might want to look into wax slugs. If done right I think they could be a good cost savings venture for you as you learn your gun.

BTW2, Don't do cut slugs.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24   #25
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I use OOO buckshot - 8 pellets per shell - .36 caliber pellets.

I like the OOO buck load - it is the same as hitting someone with eight 9mm bullets at once. Ouch!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 14:31   #26
clinttho

I keep federal tactical 00 buck in my 18" Remington 870. It patterns tightly and really extends the useful range of buckshot IMO. Traditional Winchester military or ranger 00 buck has a wider pattern but should still be extremely effective in a HD setting. 000 and 1 buck should be just as effective. I've heard both positive and negative things about number 4 buck but have not shot it. I feel best with 9 00 pellets per shell in my gun. YMMV

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:41   #27
GlockPistola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
OP, This is important. Describe Home Defense?

If Home includes shooting cars or people in cars the advise would be different than is home is an apartment with the longest shot being 10 feet (with neighbors just on the other side of the wall).

Here is a link to some good info.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Note that #4 can be buck or #4 shot. Shot is for birds and rabbits. Buck is fine for people not behind heavy cover.

If you are thinking people in cars or behind cover you are now talking about 00 or 000.

Brenneke yes, your specific load, maybe not. Find out what groups best with your shotgun.

IMHO, do NOT go for reduced power loads. Look at the gel tests. Learn how to shoot full power loads if at all possible. I have seen a light weight girl do it. The only question is 2.75 or 3 inch. I have some of both. My load up would be different depending on the plan.

BTW, you might want to look into wax slugs. If done right I think they could be a good cost savings venture for you as you learn your gun.

BTW2, Don't do cut slugs.
I live in a house. Definitely no bird shots, buck only and no reduced recoil loads.

Last edited by GlockPistola; 01-14-2013 at 21:41..
GlockPistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:55   #28
unit1069

Quote:
I like the OOO buck load - it is the same as hitting someone with eight 9mm bullets at once. Ouch!!!
And #4 buckshot is the equivalent of shooting someone with 35 rounds of .22lr. The trick here is that with buckshot it's not necessary to conduct a caliber war that so often happens with handguns. It's a matter of considering a single shotgun blast's potential to stop a deadly human threat and the total area shredded by the blast.

From a purely self-defense perspective I don't think there's a cheaper or more effective system than a shotgun/buckshot combination. It's only up to the individual to determine which load fits the particular circumstances he/she thinks best. From 000 to #4 they'll all work.
Old 01-14-2013, 23:12   #29
clinttho

Do the federal tactical and Winchester ranger reduced recoil 00 buck really have insufficient penetration? From my understanding they meet the FBI penetration minums. I could be misinformed though. They only move a couple hundred fps slower than the full power loads in the same brand don't they?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00   #30
fredj338

Any buckshot will do but before buying bulk, I recommend you pattern your SG @ something like 30ft & see how it shoots. Some loads will shoot high/low or left/right of POA, some pattern like crap. So test a box of 5 first. I prefer #4 buck for the house backed up w/ low recoil #00.
As noted, birdhsot is for birds. The avg riot choked 12ga spreads 1" per yard, so across a room, you get a 5-6" spread & the indiviual pellets alck enough penetration to guarantee vitals. A heavy leather jacket would absorb bout 50% of the pellets in #6 & smaller shot. FUll choked guns, diff story, but then an AR is a better tool than a FC 12ga IMO.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-15-2013 at 01:05..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02   #31
fredj338

Quote:
I use OOO buckshot - 8 pellets per shell - .36 caliber pellets.
Well, more like (8) 380, 36cal but lighter wt.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-15-2013 at 01:05..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30   #32
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Reduced recoil #4 buckshot. Test some on a silhouette.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32   #33
digilo

00 buckshot. Anything smaller isn't heavy enough for reliable penetration to 12".
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29   #34
glockman99

I have my Remington 870 loaded with 6 Remington 2 & 3/4" 00 buckshot, backed up with 3 rounds of Remington 3" magnum 00 buckshot, and 3 rounds of Federal 3" magnum HP slugs.

Caliber Corner
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52   #35
Bren
NRA Life Member

Go to Walmart and buy any 0 or 00 buckshot they have on sale. That's all you need.

No, you don't need slugs - especially if you have other people living in your house or nearby. Slugs have a LOT of penetration (FBI says they will penetrate a car from trunk lengthwise to engine block, 100% of the time).

Last edited by Bren; 01-15-2013 at 12:54..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 13:37   #36
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
No, you don't need slugs for in the house- especially if you have other people living in your house or nearby. Slugs have a LOT of penetration (FBI says they will penetrate a car from trunk lengthwise to engine block, 100% of the time).
But they are nice when the inside fight is an outside fight.
Old 01-15-2013, 16:02   #37
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
Number 1 Buck Shot is good as each shot pellet is 30 caliber and there are more pellets than in a 00 Buck load.
+1 here too.
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58   #38
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
And #4 buckshot is the equivalent of shooting someone with 35 rounds of .22lr. The trick here is that with buckshot it's not necessary to conduct a caliber war that so often happens with handguns. It's a matter of considering a single shotgun blast's potential to stop a deadly human threat and the total area shredded by the blast.

From a purely self-defense perspective I don't think there's a cheaper or more effective system than a shotgun/buckshot combination. It's only up to the individual to determine which load fits the particular circumstances he/she thinks best. From 000 to #4 they'll all work.
That's correct - they all work on persons not behind hard cover.
Old 01-17-2013, 23:23   #39
FireForged
Millenium #3936

after checking the pattern on several different 12ga loads and ranges, I decided to go with #1 buck (16 pellets) for home defense. Try it out at your next range session, I think you will like it.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:22   #40
I'M Glockamolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Saw a ton of that at Academy today for $4.99 a box. I hadn't seen it before, so I picked up a couple of boxes.